PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Modeler and Layout interpret 3d models differently?!

Leo Chen
11-24-2015, 02:42 AM
Why Lightwave Modeler and Layout interpret 3D models differently?

meshpig
11-24-2015, 03:07 AM
Yes objects in Layout are all triangulated, what you have there are display disparities. Like the subpatched disc will display in Layout according to the display subpatch level/render sp level and other surface settings.

Skonk
11-24-2015, 03:14 AM
You also have a bunch of non-planar polygons, which will always render oddly.

MarcusM
11-24-2015, 03:22 AM
Cool taskbar ;]

Snosrap
11-24-2015, 12:36 PM
I'm sure these are OpenGL artifacts. Turn on VPR and see what happens. Why one would ever have geometry like this is beyond me. Either noob or just trying to break the software.:)

spherical
11-25-2015, 04:58 PM
There are what looks to be polys sub-patched that are more than four points each, so the corners are malformed. Sub-patching those two polys isn't providing the result that sub-patch is used for.

JoePoe
11-26-2015, 09:38 AM
Naw, for whatever reason he had only 4 polys selected when he hit tab. 131206

The rest is just severe non-planers (Skonk :)). Triple them and try again.
I think the only real problem are the two polys that seem flipped/transparent (But in truth there are four polys way out of kilter).
The big dark ones don't appear to be nonplanar at all. They're just in shadow :hey:..... if you were considering that part of the differences.

@ Meshpig: I believe only SubDs are auto tripled. "Regular" polys come in and render as the polygons/ngons they are. Right?

Edit: @ Leo. FYI the attached Test.lwo isn't the object in the posted images.

Snosrap
11-26-2015, 05:46 PM
Naw, for whatever reason he had only 4 polys selected when he hit tab. 131206

That's why I switched my Tab key to the "G-Toggle Subpatch" and I've got "Toggle Faces" setup as a button at the bottom of my interface for those times when I only want to Subpatch a portion of my mesh.