PDA

View Full Version : Noob question

squarewulf
11-23-2015, 07:34 PM
So, i'm not really a noob to lw but this question will make me seem like i am.

Any mesh size over ~1 million polygons tends to make modeler run clunky as hell. It can take upwards of 60 seconds just to grow a selection or isolate an area. I know other programs don't seem to have this problem, is there any way to make this less painful? I will work with vehicle models that are 2+ million polygons sometimes and it really slows me down.

VermilionCat
11-23-2015, 08:01 PM
High poly mesh is out of design criteria for LW modeler so I think not.

Kaptive
11-23-2015, 08:46 PM
Though I can't solve the direct problem of modellers limitations, one suggestion might be to seperate certain elements into different objects. Layout shouldn't have a problem when you bring it together, but million+ objects (in a single layer at least) is probably a bit overboard anyway... though I'm sure many would disagree. If it's all you have then yes, it is a bit of a pain.

So anyway, going back to my original thought... with a car, maybe extract the interior and keep it in a seperate layer or even a seperate object. Same for the engine if it has one. Just break it up a bit, and construct/parent it in layout.

Works for me anyway! I'm working on a spaceship that has a lot(!) of elements and this is how I work with it. Quite honestly, I find this much easier to work with from a logical point of view anyway. I can work on each element without other things getting in the way. VermillionCat clearly has a gripe with recent comments in the blog thread at a guess. Though I really don't want to discuss that here.

squarewulf
11-23-2015, 08:59 PM
Yeah I just hate the task of separating the object into multiple layers/objects and re-parenting in layout. thats what slows me down haha. Such a shame, i hate seeing lightwaves age show, it makes me sad.

Kaptive
11-23-2015, 09:20 PM
To be fair, you can do all the parenting in modeler in the laters panel, so it'll just load in ready to go.
Probably better to be aware of the limits and work with them as a way of keeping organised than trying to push it to do something it doesn't like. But yeah, I know what you mean for sure.

Hell, modeler used to have even smaller limits way back when, and the whole object would have a poly limit... so you literally had to break it up into pieces and save as seperate objects. Not that the memory limits would let you push all that far anyway! (Unless you remortgaged your house for 256megs of ram :) )

djwaterman
11-24-2015, 12:29 AM
I just created an object with over a million polys, navigation and rotation wasn't much effected. Selecting loops didn't take too long, although expand selection could be a little slow. Some types of selection, like lasso selection are instant. Moving a million polys is a little laggy. Still, it's not as bad as you make out, have you played with the NVIDIA control settings, that can speed things up.

Since the new geometry engine will never find it's way into modeler, we will never have the type of performance you're hoping for. However at some point you'll be doing most of this stuff in layout.

squarewulf
11-24-2015, 12:42 AM
have you played with the NVIDIA control settings, that can speed things up.

I basically have all my settings to best performance. Which ones in particular?

jboudreau
11-24-2015, 12:59 AM
What video card do yo have in your system?

vector
11-24-2015, 09:50 PM
I haven't faced that problem but selecting diferent parts in a layer and become bounding-boxes for a while is a nice idea to develope... not sure if possible in this (old) modeler but interesting for the incoming versions

Snosrap
11-24-2015, 10:25 PM
Also in the Display panel make sure Legacy OpenGL is unchecked. It does help somewhat.

tcoursey
11-25-2015, 06:41 AM
Sounds like a DRIVER issue to me and my experience. The graphics cards themselves usually don't seem to matter so much. I've used $100 cards and now I have two 6GB titans and the OGL performance is not much different in modeler and spinning models around.

However at different times I have had this same issue and it's been a driver issue. You may try rolling back or updating your drivers, keep track to which ones you come from or go to. The latest and greatest is not always the best choice...but with Windows 10 that's difficult to keep from...

I know the frustration...you can literally watch each poly get selected in the viewport....!!! ugh.

squarewulf
11-25-2015, 08:46 PM
What video card do yo have in your system?

I have two GTX 970's

I have Multitexture Shaders selected and Legacy OpenGL unchecked.

I know the frustration...you can literally watch each poly get selected in the viewport....!!! ugh.

I hate when I accidentally click an object in the UV window area, like a leaf of a tree, and I have to sit and wait for it to select each leaf of 100,000.

Snosrap
11-25-2015, 09:29 PM
I feel your pain. Other than the multi-layer suggested earlier the only thing I have left would be to hide as many polys as possible - yes you have to select those first too. :( Hey - where 'bouts in Indiana are you? I'm pretty close to Ft. Wayne.

Snosrap
11-25-2015, 09:29 PM
I feel your pain. Other than the multi-layer suggested earlier the only thing I have left would be to hide as many polys as possible - yes you have to select those first too. :( Hey - where 'bouts in Indiana are you? I'm pretty close to Ft. Wayne.

DrStrik9
11-27-2015, 05:18 AM
I discovered that if a single UV map is used over thousands of objects (all using the same map), if you CLICK on one of the map's points, it takes FOREVER to select them all, but if you select the same point by drawing around it, it selects all thousands of points INSTANTLY.

I have no idea why.

BeeVee
11-27-2015, 07:40 AM
There isn't a detriment to using GLSL in Modeler these days, not that it'll be faster for you in this situation than MT.

B

MrFurious
11-27-2015, 04:56 PM
Modeler is slow and clunky compared to most (one of my major gripes) but as djwaterman said for a 1mil poly mesh it shouldn't be as slow as you say. I'm happy to check this on my system if you care to upload the mesh. 'Destroy' your mesh somewhat if it's precious, use jitter or something similar.

pixym
11-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Do not forget to UNcheck Transparency in OGL Pannel…