PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Parenter, I am a gremlin magnet

rustythe1
11-23-2015, 01:34 PM
Well, as in my last line of work I always managed to find the most obscure bugs in the universe, and now I have just found one with Dynamic parenter, if you have two objects (or many, doesn't matter) you create a keyframe on an object at frame 2020, then try to parent that object to any other object in either frame 2020 or 2021 the object will snap to random pivot points, usually the parent on the first try, but try to change the parent and it ends up moving all over the place, it also changes the curve in the graph editor to stepped for the last two key frames,
I confirmed it was not my scene by just starting a new one and creating a box and a sphere with Layout modeller tools, put a key frame on one at 2020 (move it slightly as well) then try to use dynamic parenter on frame 2021 and the object just snaps to the pivot of the parent.
do the same scene again but use the dynamic parenter at frame 2022 and it all works fine!
is there something mystical behind the number 2020, 2020 is going to be a leap year so is LW missing something as well?

Sensei
11-23-2015, 02:24 PM
In this video tutorial I showed how you can mimics dynamic parenting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZKYArKzuR0

rustythe1
11-23-2015, 02:24 PM
actually it happens if you try any frame from 2000 to 2020,

rustythe1
11-23-2015, 02:36 PM
unfortunately I have around 2000 individual items to parent at different intervals so creating a path an a node over just a couple of clicks (or ctrl v then drag at the right time), that kind of makes the budget for a project spiral out of control just for a minor bug, dynamic parenting has always worked fine for me, its literally those few frames, its unusable so I have to have a 22 frame pause in the animation? WTF, just annoying that I had spent half a day setting up the first 2000 frames, then to get stumbled for the afternoon trying to work out why the hell my object would not stay put, for most of lightwaves little quirks there is usually a work around,
here is another bug that has existed since version 10, open "scene editor New", select several objects, right click and select "remove selected", instant crash,

Sensei
11-23-2015, 02:39 PM
here is another bug that has existed since version 10, open "scene editor New", select several objects, right click and select "remove selected", instant crash,

Did you report it?
If not, it will never be fixed.
Fixed are those bugs that are reported, and developers are able to reproduce on their own machines..

DrStrik9
11-23-2015, 03:59 PM
Yes, please report it. I had weird things happen too, with Dynamic Parenter, but thought it was my own foolishness, so didn't report it.

BTW, I also seem to be a "Gremlin Magnet." :+) I think we all are, which is good (as long as we report those gremlins): it will keep LW3DG busy making LW more and more solid.

jeric_synergy
11-23-2015, 04:41 PM
Sometimes I notice Base-2 and Base-16 ahhhhhhh, connections in bugs.

The bugs that throw me are always rotational and 'space' (Local, Parent, World) bugs, because I'm already so confused I can't be sure if it's a bug or just my lack of knowledge.

rustythe1
11-23-2015, 05:07 PM
what do you mean I cant rotate to the left? I swore I had 3 axis a moment ago! why are the red and blue circles in the same place?

jeric_synergy
11-23-2015, 05:11 PM
Yeah, like that. But along the way I find true bugs, I just have to rely on others to identify them.

rustythe1
11-23-2015, 05:17 PM
Did you report it?
If not, it will never be fixed.
Fixed are those bugs that are reported, and developers are able to reproduce on their own machines..

I did mean to at the time but as it was in such a high used area, and one would assume that many people would have had the same bug it would have been picked up (especially over 6 literation's of updates and I have replicated it through windows 7, 8 and 10 and a clean install of LW each time, surely someone else has used the clear all objects, or remove selected?!) also the "do you want to send bug report" never seems to work for me so the only way I can do it is to make a proper manual fogbuzz or what ever it was (I have done several others that have been fixed) my second problem is the amount on non disclosure work I work on, I cant usually share my scenes without breaking them, its annoying as I have some 800 LW projects in the last year alone, that obviously can lead to finding a large amount of bugs I cant or don't get the time to share.

jeric_synergy
11-23-2015, 05:32 PM
This is how nut jobs get elected: everyone thinks everyone ELSE will vote for the sane one. Report your bugs.

The bug reporting system is totally changed: report bugs/feature requests on your account page. Ignore the in-app thing that occasionally pops up. You can also see lists of the bugs/features you've made. I have six pages of reports.

Snosrap
11-24-2015, 10:28 PM
I have six pages of reports.

Six pages! Holy crap! Do you ever get any work done? :)

jeric_synergy
11-24-2015, 10:47 PM
Six pages! Holy crap! Do you ever get any work done? :)
::cough:: Ohh, errrmmm, you know....

(No trick, the listing goes back many years.)

Right now, there's a serious conflict between wanting to nail down some scripts, or jump over to Unity & VR, which may be remunerative.

rustythe1
11-25-2015, 01:38 AM
ok, I reported them, and they both showed up as closed with in a few mins, I guess that means because layout has a full re working coming up there is no point looking into it? does that mean that re write is not actually that far away?

Lewis
11-25-2015, 02:05 AM
ok, I reported them, and they both showed up as closed with in a few mins, I guess that means because layout has a full re working coming up there is no point looking into it? does that mean that re write is not actually that far away?

Did you get any info/reply on cases why are they closed ? Is it just closed or FIXed ?

rustythe1
11-25-2015, 03:16 AM
no, they first asked for the content, then exactly 1 min later marked as closed, I assume they did not read it closely as what I had written did not require any content to replicate, I have had previous cases that ran the correct way (i.e. had a case number then a resolution) so one can only assume that certain types of bugs and fixing currently have no place in development, it was not marked as resolved just closed, if you want to try her is what I wrote for the dynamic parenter,

"I have found an issue with dynamic parenter at certain key frames, I managed to manually replicate the issue several times,
easy way to replicate, open layout, create a default cube and sphere, move time slider to frame 2020 (increase the time bar first) move the sphere so its not inside the cube and create a key at 2020 (eg 3m or so to the left or right), move the time slider to 2021, open motion options (press M) and add the parenter modifier, drag on screen handle to parent to the cube, the sphere will snap out of place and to the pivot of the cube.
if you repeat all the above but add the parenter at frame 2022 it will stay in place and behave as it should do,
this seems to be affected in frames 2000 to 2021"

rustythe1
11-25-2015, 03:18 AM
you don't have to save any objects or scene to replicate it and as said before I cant share the scene I first found the bugs in so I am in a catch 22,

DrStrik9
11-25-2015, 07:53 AM
Hopefully someone else also reported it, and they already fixed it. (Case closed.) But if this is the situation, it would have been nice for them to tell you.

rustythe1
11-25-2015, 09:09 AM
well the crash I get from remove several objects has been there since version 10 so that one may be a no go as there have been 6 or so updates since that started, annoying as it happens to me weekly when I forget to just remove items one at a time. (another odd bug that started the same time was when I click on open the scene editor I get 5 or 6 instances of the scene editor pop up in random places, its defiantly not configs or anything as I can replicate it on all machines and versions, the only thing I have never tried is eliminating all third party plugins, but I have a lot!)

Snosrap
11-25-2015, 06:14 PM
I always hate it when they ask for content. Really? The devs can't make a few boxes? :) I think what they need if they don't already one is a bug screener, somebody that goes through the steps to try and reproduce and then informs the devs with the content they made -or something along those lines anyway.