PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave + Unity + VR = Awesome

ConjureBunny
11-23-2015, 10:06 AM
This is an in-depth series of tutorials of everything you need to know, to get your LightWave content into Unity perfectly, and to build a fully immersive version of your work.

For about 30 minutes every day, I'm going to walk through the ins and outs of setting up a photorealistic room you can walk around in, with Unity3D, LightWave, and the Instant Turntable kit.

This will include things like surface baking, baking occlusion maps, special types of lighting in Unity, navigation, FBX issues, field of view, and even adding VR to the mix towards the end. When we're done, we'll have a photorealistic version of the cafe scene I use for all my immersive renders, only you will be able to walk around it as if you're actually there.

So if you're interested in any of this, the videos will be free, and on YouTube on the day I post them. When I'm done, I'm going to archive it all, and add it to an update to the Instant Turntable kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfXBCT0WVuc

So if you're having problems with any of this, please let me know, and I'll make sure I cover it at some point in these videos!.

(I'll probably post the first video tomorrow)

Free version of Unity 5:
http://www.unity3d.com

Instant Turntable:
http://www.liberty3d.com/2015/11/7710/

You'd better already have LightWave :D

-Chilton

jeric_synergy
11-23-2015, 10:51 AM
Exciting!

Kaptive
11-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Excellent! Wow, thank you very muchly! This is something I have been wanting to try for some time. Maybe this will actually spur me to give it a go. I tried LW to Unity back before the interchange, and it wasn't very successful. Pretty sure it's got easier since then. Looking forward to watching them. Again, thanks! :)

mummyman
11-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Do you have a youtube channel where you'll post them to? Sounds awesome. Still have to grab the turntable vids regardless. So little time! So much info. Thanks Chilton!

Duh... nevermind... got it.

Zerowaitstate
11-24-2015, 04:49 AM
awesome really looking forward to this

kopperdrake
11-24-2015, 07:48 AM
Chilton - you're a dude! Thank you thank you thank you ad infinitum :thumbsup:

ConjureBunny
11-24-2015, 08:48 AM
Well I was thinking that this is the kind of thing I'd normally just record, then put into an update. But I don't have time to sit down and do the whole thing at one time, and if I'm going to break it up anyway, I might as well post the little parts online as I go. This will also give me a chance to get feedback from people and find out what problems they're having, if any.

Now, when it's done, I'm going to take it off YouTube and put it in with the Turntable package. So if you've bought it already (or buy it along the way), you'll get all the vids as a free update.

-Chilton

Zerowaitstate
11-25-2015, 10:10 PM
Well I was thinking that this is the kind of thing I'd normally just record, then put into an update. But I don't have time to sit down and do the whole thing at one time, and if I'm going to break it up anyway, I might as well post the little parts online as I go. This will also give me a chance to get feedback from people and find out what problems they're having, if any.

Now, when it's done, I'm going to take it off YouTube and put it in with the Turntable package. So if you've bought it already (or buy it along the way), you'll get all the vids as a free update.

-Chilton

just purchased turntable as a way of saying "keep up the good work"

Cheers

ConjureBunny
11-27-2015, 06:03 PM
Thank you Zero!

I'm sorry for the delay starting this. I visited relatives over the holidays and they had .5mps upload speed. I thought maybe I'd wait till I'm home.

So, first video in the series will be going up tomorrow :)

-Chilton

Zerowaitstate
11-27-2015, 06:48 PM
Family 1st Brother.

kopperdrake
11-28-2015, 04:17 AM
Bu..bu..bu...I thought LightWave was family!

;)

Zerowaitstate
12-07-2015, 04:33 PM
Checking in

goakes
12-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Checking in. +1

ConjureBunny
12-08-2015, 09:42 AM
Long story short, I've been waiting for the official Unity 5.3 release, because I suspected I'd need to change a few things.

(They released it today)

I'm considering doing a live stream for some of these, but the first one will be online today and not done as a live stream.

I'll report back when I'm done editing it, and removing cuss words.

-Chilton