PDA

View Full Version : Image mapping - Mirage Lightwave Connect replacement?

amused
11-22-2015, 01:38 PM
I'm upgrading from LW 8.5 to (EDIT)2015 soon, on a new system, and wanted to know what I need to replace Mirage Lightwave Connect as an image mapper. Mirage (Aura clone) Lightwave Connect would open a viewport that had the mesh of a Lightwave object layer flattened out so you could draw over it on a separate layer. Then you could save the artwork as a PNG and use that image to wrap over the object during a render. I guess it's called UV mapping, or surface mapping? Sorry, it's been a few years since I used any of this stuff and I'm getting back into it.

What is the current workflow that would let me do simple image mapping onto a Lightwave object? I don't need anything more complicated than seeing the mesh as a base layer so I can draw over it. The resulting images will be simple too - think clown face makeup mapped onto a specific area of a sphere.

ernpchan
11-22-2015, 01:55 PM
I assume you mean you're upgrading from 8.5 to 2015...

Current LW doesn't have a replacement for what the had with Mirage /Aura. You could export your mesh as an object and paint on it in Photoshop. You will need to create a uv for it.

amused
11-23-2015, 01:54 PM
That worked!

Thanks!