PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with DP Instance

DrStrik9
11-21-2015, 02:31 PM
I made a bunch of random 1-pt polys in Modeler, along with a single object, to be instanced on those points.

I got the instancing to work, showing boxes, positioned on the points.
I added DP Instance to Effects > Volumetrics (in order to render the instances). The latest DP Instance allows up to 21 Buffers for rendering to be added. I checked them all.

But when I render, the instances all look like Matte Objects (all black).

What am I missing?

Thanks for any assistance. :+)

(Mac OS X 10.10.5, LW 2015.3) DP Instance v. 3.01; Volumetric DP Instance v. 3.01)

Edit: Also, when I check the Volumetric DP Instance version number and close that window, Layout crashes. :-(

dpont
11-21-2015, 03:26 PM
I'm on windows here,
it renders instances with all buffers, perspective camera,
may be something specific in your scene, object or surface.
..or on Mac.
The message doesn't crash,
however I see that this possible, this is something I could fix,
but not sure to continue the support of DP Instance.

Denis.

DrStrik9
11-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Thanks for your kind reply, Denis.

I'm using Perspective cam, but rendering fails for me. I can remove all surfaces and still get the same error: matte-style object on instances only, so I don't think the problem is with surfaces. I suspect the issue is with the Mac version ... ?

I am sad to hear that you might not support DP Instance any longer; your work is genius, and helps many people do their work.

DrStrik9
11-23-2015, 05:25 PM
It's me again: Mr. Trouble. :+)

OK, I've spent many hours trying to find ways to get similar functionality as with DP Instance (which doesn't render properly on Mac) using LW Instance Generator: most notably individual RANDOM ANIMATED INSTANCE ROTATIONS.

My test scene is the ubiquitous "asteroid field," where ideally, each instance would have its own randomly generated rotation. This is easy in DP Instance (except rendering on Mac), but so far I'm not being totally successful in LW's Instance Generator.

I "thought" I had a good way to accomplish the same thing, by using the Min/Max Envelopes for random rotations (see screen shots) 131166 by cris-crossing the three min/max Rotation values (as long as they all don't "meet" in the center, so various start/end values are used to avoid this). 131167 This method does the job and looks fantastic in Layout's bounding-box preview.

However ... https://youtu.be/8gw6jv9F3J8

The render is weird, jumpy, and has odd flashes that make the render useless. What is happening here?

Sorry for the long explanation, but before I give up, Iím wondering if there is some setting Iím missing, or (not being a node genius), is there is a way to accomplish individual random animated instance rotations using nodes, that will also render properly? Or is this just some kind of arcane bug with Instance Generator?

I'm attaching the scene as it is now: 131169

Thanks for any insights.

dpont
11-23-2015, 11:49 PM
I wonder why you want to use volumetric DP Instance
instead of DP Instancer.

Denis.

DrStrik9
11-24-2015, 04:09 AM
Denis,

I'm not sure I understand your question. I originally wanted to use DP Instance because of its well-known capabilities. Since rendering failed (on Mac) with DP Instance and its volumetric counterpart, I am trying to make LW's Instance Generator do the work instead, but am finding (different) render problems there also.

If this also fails, I will try to use DP Instancer, which I understand uses LW's Instance functions (?). I took a look at it, but don't know enough about nodes to get it to make each instance randomly rotate in animations.

??

dpont
11-24-2015, 06:21 AM
..I'm not sure I understand your question...

Except for timing displacement, DP Instance volumetric is somehow a legacy tool
was written before the introduction of LW Instancing,
using LW Instancing is faster, with native instancer or DP Instancer.

For randomizing rotation, you need a node setup
similar to surfacing setup for texturing instances independantly,
using the Instance Info Index,
there are a many examples in this forum,
using this input in a Gradient node,
or as input of Random Scalar nodes for rotation,
just be aware that nodal rotations are in radians,

for animating the rotation, if you want various speed,
a second Random Scalar node for adding a time offset
for each angle of the rotation.

Denis.

Sensei
11-24-2015, 06:33 AM
New LW has added new functions in LWVolumeAccess,
which need to be passed by volumetric evaluation function further to LWNodalAccess and others for renderer to work correctly.
If these pointers will be NULL, and rendering routine is checking against NULL, result will be exactly black render.
If rendering routine wouldn't check against NULL, there would be instant crash.
I had to update older volumetrics plugins making sure new shading and sampling routines are passed further. Also had black renders from my volumetrics.
DrStrik9, check LW v10.x, v11.0.3, v11.6.x to see which is working and which not.