PDA

View Full Version : Community project: apply tools to odd, 'wrong' things/ Surprising things that work.

jeric_synergy
11-21-2015, 01:59 PM
In the wake of JoePoe's tip about using MAKE POLE on a 2ptpoly (to get a very skinny triangle), I followed up with using SPHERIZE on a Cone. Try it! :)

That seems maybe useful in some circumstances. I suggest as a kind of community project that we try applying various tools on oddball, 'wrong', and unintuitive meshes. The ones that turn out to be useful we can add to the "Basic Things" thread, an archive of simple and useful techniques.

For instance, if you CLONE a bunch of flat rectangles such that they overlap a bit, and then use DRILL, you can easily get a sort of Boolean operation on the resulting cut-out (similar to overlapping shapes in a vector program). This kinda unintuitive technique can make you look like a wizard.

prometheus
11-21-2015, 11:25 PM
I do such stuff often, crossing my fingers it wonīt crash when doing so, itīs called experimenting wildly..who knows what comes out of it? you got to try and mix the colors in the universe and see what new colors there will be..and the same with shapes and coding etc.

the hard part may be that folks over here might think, I thought everyone knew about this already etc, theres a lot of hidden tricks and workflows and also hidden tools.

I could give examples like this, do you know that after bridging between polys, hit l and l and l (connect) and you would have given the bridge segments, that I think most people know ..or?
try the tweak tool on a curve, when highlighted hovering as an edge poly, you can move that curve part similar to a magnet operation...try also right click on the curve with the tweak tool and drag and see what happens...tweak tool and middle click on a spline curves point and move etc..

DrStrik9
11-22-2015, 01:35 AM
I agree. Throw caution to the wind and experiment!

Just turn VPR off first. :+)

jeric_synergy
11-22-2015, 11:54 AM
I was thinking a methodical approach, going thru easily constructed stuff with unlikely tools. Off the top of my head: "wall of boxes with WRAP SPHERE applied". Maybe it's lame, maybe it's surprising. :chicken:

The thing is, there's a LOT of reinventing the wheel: sharing one's experiments in one centralized thread makes such things findable/discoverable. Just like the "Basic Things" thread, which I think is the best thread on the forum.

EDIT: maybe this would make it more fun, and more of a puzzle: Where tools have default values, the default values have to be used. So, it becomes "use this sequence of default-ish steps to make this wacky object."

(Also, remember any, ANY wacky object can be converted into a primitive using iain_r's "Create.ls" script to make any object construction a one-button affair.)