PDA

View Full Version : LW guides

Amerelium
11-21-2015, 08:01 AM
...call me old-fasioned, but i detest video guides. I prefer a available documentation at hand as reference whilst I'm working. Anyone know whe one can get hold of complete documentation and 3 party guides, preferably for printing?

lertola2
11-21-2015, 11:53 AM
Lightwave comes with a complete documentation in .pdf format so you can print it if you want. Also if you have any specific questions ask on this forum. I have always gotten help from knowledgeable Lighwave users when I needed it.

jeric_synergy
11-21-2015, 12:25 PM
I too would prefer printed dox, but I'm afraid that boat has sailed: compared to print, the labor involved in making even elaborately edited videos such as Ryan Roye's series is trivial. Print is HARD.

Ryan's videos make great use of editing and graphix to make points clearer, by isolating and zooming parts of the screen and other visual tactics. Very much appreciated.

I've found it helpful with longer & more complex videos, such as Bryphii's, to keep a text window open and do a rough timeline so I can get back to specific techniques for review. That's the big issue for me w/video: UNsearchability. (Somewhere there's an application that allows you to do this and embed the text as text in a sidebar. Somewhere.)

Tip#2: YouTube allows you to watch videos at 1.25X and faster-- for some videos that's perfectly understandable and obviously quicker than 1X, especially on review.

MonroePoteet
11-21-2015, 01:23 PM
I too would prefer printed dox, but I'm afraid that boat has sailed: compared to print, the labor involved in making even elaborately edited videos such as Ryan Roye's series is trivial. Print is HARD.

I don't buy products without PDF (or other text-based) documentation, as complete as possible. Video tutorials are INCREDIBLY ineffecient at gaining a broad-spectrum knowledge of a product, unless you have hours upon hours upon hours (upon HOURS) to wade through them. Text based documention is *searchable*. Text based documentation (usually) has a Table of Contents and an Index. It has details and it's upgraded over time to include MORE details. It's small in size.

One thing I do wish is that the LW documentation would be posted separate from the kits, and posted somewhere public so anyone (even without a LW account) can download them. Very regularly, before buying (or upgrading a product), I'll look at the documentation. IMO, when anyone goes to the LW3D page, one of the links should be "Here's the documentation!".

Thank you Ben Vost (BeeVee) for doing a superb job with the LW documentation!

mTp

erikals
11-21-2015, 01:54 PM
Thank you Ben Vost (BeeVee) for doing a superb job with the LW documentation!
indeed! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

imo, both methods are a must, print, and video.

there are times when animated gifs could be of good use in the pdf files though,
like for showing what a specific hair setting does, or a specific dynamics setting.

jeric_synergy
11-21-2015, 02:08 PM
For me, the fact that the dox are not extensible is a huge mistake.

MonroePoteet
11-21-2015, 02:11 PM
indeed! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

imo, both methods are a must, print, and video.

there are times when animated gifs could be of good use in the pdf files though,
like for showing what a specific hair setting does, or a specific dynamics setting.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that video tutorials aren't valuable. If I'm after a *specific* function or capability, it's always nice to find a tutorial out on YouTube or other (Thanks to you erikals, and all the video contributors as well). But *The Documentation*, IMO, is text based, and needs to be. Reading is a valuable skill, and the modern, searchable documentation technologies are especially valuable for a really fast learning curve.

FYI, the reason I don't post YouTube or Vimeo videos is that I find Google / YouTube's "we own everything you upload" clause in the Terms and Conditions to be heinous. Vimeo's is even worse, since their T&C requires me to relinquish "moral rights", so if they use my stuff to sell something I find offensive, well That's Just Tough.

mTp

Amerelium
11-22-2015, 05:43 AM
Official documentation is somewhat lacking - I guess I'm just going to have to ask about stuff here and archive the replies in some form.

Youtube guides are fine and all, but for them to be really usefull they should all be segmented into short, more spesific clips, not hour long general guides - works poorly as a reference guide.

Google have some promising looking ebooks as well I've noticed

erikals
11-22-2015, 06:16 AM
Yes, I didn't mean to imply that video tutorials aren't valuable. If I'm after a *specific* function or capability, it's always nice to find a tutorial out on YouTube or other (Thanks to you erikals, and all the video contributors as well). But *The Documentation*, IMO, is text based, and needs to be. Reading is a valuable skill, and the modern, searchable documentation technologies are especially valuable for a really fast learning curve.
Absolutely! ...and happy to help! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

FYI, the reason I don't post YouTube or Vimeo videos is that I find Google / YouTube's "we own everything you upload" clause in the Terms and Conditions to be heinous. Vimeo's is even worse, since their T&C requires me to relinquish "moral rights", so if they use my stuff to sell something I find offensive, well That's Just Tough.
in Youtube's case, i just give 'em the fin*** as for that policy. And i'm pretty sure they know they would have a hard time if you go to the media and go public about them abusing your content in the, media. guess we wouldn't win in court, but at least we could give them a hard time. European laws (EU) are also more protective as far as privacy goes. Often they force Google or big companies, Microsoft, to change their policy.
but the main reason i believe for Youtube doing it, is to protect themselves in case they screw up. i wouldn't give it more thought.

Facebook however... more like FaceTracker. "We Track Everything You Do, At Any Time"

http://erikalstad.com/emoti/matrix.gif