PDA

View Full Version : Multi-platform 2 point poly chains?

ConjureBunny
11-20-2015, 11:04 PM
I have a series of 2 point poly chains I'd like to share between several 3D apps. Are there any common file formats that can store 2 point polys?

Thank you,
-Chilton

Sensei
11-21-2015, 02:38 AM
3D apps that dont support 2 point poly chain natively are cheating them by using 3 point triangle with one point shared, or in middle of "triangle".
I have tool in pack (http://modelingpack.trueart.eu)to convert 2 point poly chain to 3 point triangles that are like 2 point poly.

ConjureBunny
11-21-2015, 08:12 AM
3D apps that dont support 2 point poly chain natively are cheating them by using 3 point triangle with one point shared, or in middle of "triangle".
I have tool in pack (http://modelingpack.trueart.eu)to convert 2 point poly chain to 3 point triangles that are like 2 point poly.

Interesting, excellent approach. I'll use that.

Thanks!
-Chilton

JoePoe
11-21-2015, 08:54 AM
(If you're not deforming the chains), an easy way to get the "triangle" solution with the point in the middle is to run Make Pole.

jeric_synergy
11-21-2015, 01:00 PM
(If you're not deforming the chains), an easy way to get the "triangle" solution with the point in the middle is to run Make Pole.
Whoa! First, that DEFINITELY needs to be added to the manual on Make Pole (if it's not there already, ). BeeVee!

2: What goes on there? I just ran MAKE POLE on a 2ptpoly and afterwards there's 2 polygons, which I was unable to move away from each other.... Oh, I see: there's only 3 total points, so there're overlapping polys. Users should be aware of that, and run UNIFY afterwards. --IMO that qualifies as a bug, and should be reported.

JoePoe, you know the most arcane tricks. :bowdown:

JoePoe
11-21-2015, 03:17 PM
Ah... forgot to mention unify after. thanks.

JoePoe, you know the most arcane tricks.

The irony is that I found that investigating one of your questions.... How to evenly subdivide the sections of a 2pt poly chain. Didn't really fit the bill there. Glad there's some sort of use for it.

jeric_synergy
11-21-2015, 03:27 PM
The irony is that I found that investigating one of your questions.... How to evenly subdivide the sections of a 2pt poly chain. Didn't really fit the bill there. Glad there's some sort of use for it.
Yeah, I've been trying to remember what the solution to that question was: I think it was "rail extrude a single point with UNIFORM on", but the details are fuzzy. So many details to remember.