PDA

View Full Version : (Re-)Create this object (& surfacing) in LW?

jeric_synergy
11-20-2015, 12:24 AM
How would you suggest duplicating this object in LW?

prometheus
11-20-2015, 02:02 AM
probably start by a divided quadratic poly, select a base pattern and cut that out..delete the rest, and paste back the pattern I selected, use absolute size to check size of length and depth, and use array and paste those values in to get a repeat pattern..all this is flat.
then use heatshring on a sphere..then (thicken)
just testing but are not finnished, the pattern isnīt the same, but you get the idea.
I reckon one should measure the quadratic poly size to match the diameter of the spheres center perimeter., you would only need to do on the top part of the sphere, then just mirror it.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131114&d=1448010145

prometheus
11-20-2015, 02:16 AM
I noticed..it will pinch scale when heatshrinked with sphere mode, will have to take another look ..gonna sleep now.

MarcusM
11-20-2015, 03:38 AM
All you need in Sphere, Box, Heat Shrink and Thicken tool.

JoePoe
11-20-2015, 08:58 AM
I would work directly on one "side" of a quad sphere (with the right # of subdivisions).
(one half of one side actually..... :hey:)

131121 131122

Starting flat or with a square and spherizing or heat shrinking will give you a bunch more pinching as Prometheus stated.... could be the look you're going for though :).

Edit: I don't think I rotated the final panels correctly to match the original.... ;D.

prometheus
11-20-2015, 01:01 PM
All you need in Sphere, Box, Heat Shrink and Thicken tool.

I bit of what I thought, but wasnīt able to try it before bed.

JoePoe
11-20-2015, 02:33 PM
Forgot about the surfacing part.

I'd go with UV... but the nature of the object lends itself very well to a straight up Cubic mapping.
At least for The faces that is. The place where the noticeable seams would be are empty space. With the exception only of the small connector bits. And you want a seam there anyway !

The sides: I'd stick with UV. Use UV Creeper and break it up into sections for different grain angles.

gerry_g
11-20-2015, 03:23 PM
couldn't you add a morph to the quad sphere and shrink wrap it to a cube to get better uv's so as the texture conforms better to the shape

JoePoe
11-21-2015, 12:15 AM
couldn't you add a morph to the quad sphere and shrink wrap it to a cube to get better uv's so as the texture conforms better to the shape

Shoooot. All the more reason to start with a cube then. Might as well be perfect on the uv front (pun intended :D).

JoePoe
11-21-2015, 04:36 PM
Tried 'em both. Both work great!! :thumbsup:

For the "walls", I just ran an Atlas unwrap. Has just enough variation to mix up the pattern nicely.

131142 131144

prometheus
11-21-2015, 05:49 PM
good work JoePoe, someone should do a youtube tute on that.

jeric_synergy
11-21-2015, 06:04 PM
Tried 'em both. Both work great!! :thumbsup:

For the "walls", I just ran an Atlas unwrap. Has just enough variation to mix up the pattern nicely.

131142 131144
Nice. Now I just have to remember to try this tomorrow.

Any hints on how to get a nice Selection that doesn't dead-end itself?

JoePoe
11-22-2015, 09:13 AM
Any hints on how to get a nice Selection that doesn't dead-end itself?

Selection of what?
A lot depends on how you rotate panels and connect up corners.
I relied heavily on selecting by surface name,inverting, stepping down/up..... that sort of thing.
You can make it so the surface of the "maze" is one continuous loop, but that requires a little different modeling approach.

Oh and a side note:
When it came to thickening, Thicken couldn't handle it 8~. Had to use SmoothShift.

jeric_synergy
11-24-2015, 11:49 PM
I meant a clever solution so that the corners cube/sphere have nicely selected flow to them.

My selection is resulting in infelicitous constructions such as this:

Joe, could you post wires? How did you get such nice soft edges on your mesh? Like they're sanded?

Jmation
11-25-2015, 03:23 AM
For the geo I prefer the legacy Spherize plugin. Made this in a few minutes.

djwaterman
11-25-2015, 07:16 AM
You're right, Spherize maintains the sharp corners where the square corners used to be on the cube. Whereas a subdivided metaformed cube or heat shrunk cube melts the sharp corners.

jeric_synergy
11-25-2015, 09:43 AM
For the geo I prefer the legacy Spherize plugin. Made this in a few minutes.
I must be approaching this wrong: just doing the selecting is taking more than minutes. --Actually, Selecting is pretty much the whole task, but still...

JoePoe
11-25-2015, 11:44 AM
Spherize!! Even faster, yes!!
But heat shrink wasn't rounding my corners. How dense was your target to shrink to?

I meant a clever solution so that the corners cube/sphere have nicely selected flow to them.

My selection is resulting in infelicitous constructions such as this:

Joe, could you post wires? How did you get such nice soft edges on your mesh? Like they're sanded?

Here are the wires. Soft look is from control loops.

Getting a continuous selection from the faces requires different geo flow. Something like this.

131197 131198

But even if you don't have that flow, you can select the sides as loops and invert :hey:. (save selections as surfaces, or what have you, so you don't have to keep building a selection from scratch).
I could select all my sides in four additive select loop procedures. Select two polys > select loop, hold shift and repeat for the other three isolated loops.

If you want to keep it simple you can forgo SubD and use DP Edge node for a softer edge look.

Also you've got to be careful in creating the Maze selection in the first place. You've got some odd connection spots, as well as single /double floating poly islands.

Edit: Oh yeah.... don't use Band Saw!!! The redraw will take forever.
Sides: With all the sides selected, just hit "l" (connect) which puts an edge down the middle of all the side polys. Without dropping the selection toggle to Edge mode and use Chamfer. Takes two seconds. On the outward/inward faces I used Multishift, inset only.

Jmation
11-25-2015, 09:15 PM
jeric_synergy

- I started with a 1x1 m plane
- selected the pattern and cut it (ctrl+X)
- deleted the remaining polygons
- Pasted the cut polygons back in
- moved the pasted polygons out 500mm from the origin
- Now copy(ctrl+C), then Rotate 90 degrees (r) and paste again until you build a 1x1 cube.( You will have to switch views to complete the last two edges)
- Merge points
- Apply a UV map if you want?
- Apply Spherize
- Make the current points a selection set before using thicken.
- When applying thicken tick the option to create a new material.
- All done but now you will also be able to apply a bevel using the selection set or the new material to isolate areas.

Hope that helps good luck. :)

jeric_synergy
11-25-2015, 09:18 PM
Thank you Jmation. --I may be overthinking this.

I >might< whip up a short script to automate the copy&rotation bit, just 'cuz it's tedious.

jeric_synergy
11-26-2015, 11:44 AM
JBTW, in my pathetic overthinking of this I came across this page y'all might find interesting:

http://cs.stmarys.ca/~dawson/images4.html

kopperdrake
11-26-2015, 03:28 PM
Darnit - had to have a go :) His pattern relies on a 17x17 side, so I used a 16x16 1m plane, then picked the edges to work with. Once you've highlighted the appropriate edges, chamfer them to get the geometry you need, copy and paste to form the sides of the cube, with some rotation thrown in for good measure. Tidy up some corner misalignment I'm sure could be sorted out in the "Choose your pattern" step could I be bothered. Then heatshrink over a 1m sphere, thicken in the negative (to hide any imperfections you get when coming out from the surface) and slap on a quick cubic texture map. Oh - I added more geometry at one stage to make sure it held up when rendered at a higher res.

Good fun that! This is all one "piece" of wood, so you can follow the path around continuously - nice shape! back to reinstalling Windows...

jeric_synergy
11-26-2015, 04:26 PM
hahaha, there's always a missing piece! It's EVIL! A conspiracy! Yer all tryin' to drive me mad!!!!! ---So, kopperdrake, in pic#4 it looks like some of your paths dead end, like that corner in the cntr of the image. Then none of the dead ends are in the other images. :devil: Did you just go in before SPHERIZE and manually patch those dead ends so they wrap around the corners?

I sat in a coffee shop for an hour this morning fooling with graph paper and making Xs, trying to get a naturally repeating pattern. I really hate puzzles, so this was not fun. It would seem (reminder: bad at puzzles) that the two 'loose ends' could NOT be on opposite sides of a square, because to match up with the other sides making the cube, all you'd get would be a band around the cube. IOW, the squiggle would have to be on adjacent sides. Then one would have a chance of rotating/mirroring the pattern on the other sides to get it to wrap all the way 'round the cube.

(Attempts also seemed to depend greatly on the # of divisions of the face, and whether it was odd/even.)(MAN I h8 puzzles.)

For instance, I was fooling with Polygons instead of Edges, and that might be the wrong approach.

I guess it's possible that one would require at least two patterns (no matter how rotated and mirrored) to do this, but it certainly seems like it would be possible, and I'm just too rubbish to figure it out.

BeeVee
11-27-2015, 04:29 AM
Pay careful attention to image 5 Jeric and note that one line going off is on one side and the other is on a different side - different to how it is in image 4, you tricksy type Kopperdrake :D

B
PS. Oh and you'll need to flip two of the sides to make all the pipes match... ;)

kopperdrake
11-27-2015, 04:53 AM
Well spotted sir!

In my defence, I did have the caveat in the line "Tidy up some corner misalignment I'm sure could be sorted out in the "Choose your pattern" step could I be bothered." - but as I was copying the exact three sides I could see on the original, I figured it wasn't cheating as they'd probably done the same thing themselves! And once I'd done the three facing sides, copying, pasting and rotating them as a group to fill the gap on the dark side of the soon-to-be-moon had them aligning up perfectly, so all was good.

So it would seem the orignial isn't an exactly repeating pattern - and it might well be that a six-sided shape can't have that perfect repeating pattern if it wants to link in with itself on each side. I have a feeling, no matter how many moccachoccahottolattes you plough through jeric, a six-sided object made from one strand will not be possible without some jiggery-pokery, but I could be wrong - that's just a hunch :D

BeeVee
11-27-2015, 05:56 AM
UV Spider is very useful. I have made an image of the visible spectrum that obviously wraps around and so I have a continually looping colour to go with my continually looping line... oh, it's just finished, let me include it here...

All LightWave: Render (https://www.dropbox.com/s/cinsdyodhvgnpnz/image_000_002.png?dl=0)

B

kopperdrake
11-27-2015, 07:14 AM
Very cool! I've only ever used it for kerbstones :D

BeeVee
11-27-2015, 07:30 AM
It's almost as though it was made for this :D

B

erikals
11-27-2015, 02:05 PM
Edit: Oh yeah.... don't use Band Saw!!! The redraw will take forever.

hm, thought they fixed that ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLfwszftOSo

BeeVee
11-27-2015, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I certainly used Bandsaw Pro on mine. Takes a mo to get going, but it's a long path :) I used Edit Edges to add more detail too and also to create a spline for using with Spline Control to run a teeny car along the path...

B

JoePoe
11-27-2015, 03:57 PM
hm, thought they fixed that ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLfwszftOSo

Ha ha! An initial activation of a multi cut preset is much faster. BUT try doing anything else after that. Remove/add a cut. Change the value of a single cut. Even switch to another preset. SLOW AS DIRT. I mean horrifyingly slow.

How about starting with with no (or one cut) and constructing a specific multi cut that you don't have a preset for. Even the addition of two or three cuts is brutal (denser the mesh the bigger the wait of course. I just tested using your 50x50x50 (i think) cube.)

If all I want to do is add a bunch of rows I just bang on the "l" key a couple of times.
Adding AND SUBTRACTING is a breeze with Edit Edges. That rocks!!

djwaterman
11-27-2015, 05:59 PM
Darnit - had to have a go :) His pattern relies on a 17x17 side, so I used a 16x16 1m plane, then picked the edges to work with. Once you've highlighted the appropriate edges, chamfer them to get the geometry you need, copy and paste to form the sides of the cube, with some rotation thrown in for good measure. Tidy up some corner misalignment I'm sure could be sorted out in the "Choose your pattern" step could I be bothered. Then heatshrink over a 1m sphere, thicken in the negative (to hide any imperfections you get when coming out from the surface) and slap on a quick cubic texture map. Oh - I added more geometry at one stage to make sure it held up when rendered at a higher res.

Good fun that! This is all one "piece" of wood, so you can follow the path around continuously - nice shape! back to reinstalling Windows...

Looks like Koopdrake solved it outright, more or less exactly the same as the original. I didn't see that as the solution at all but that's got to be it. It even allows for subD with sharp corners.

erikals
11-27-2015, 06:15 PM
Ha ha! An initial activation of a multi cut preset is much faster. BUT try doing anything else after that. Remove/add a cut. Change the value of a single cut. Even switch to another preset. SLOW AS DIRT. I mean horrifyingly slow.

How about starting with with no (or one cut) and constructing a specific multi cut that you don't have a preset for. Even the addition of two or three cuts is brutal (denser the mesh the bigger the wait of course. I just tested using your 50x50x50 (i think) cube.)

If all I want to do is add a bunch of rows I just bang on the "l" key a couple of times.
Adding AND SUBTRACTING is a breeze with Edit Edges. That rocks!!

Bandsaw Pro is a bit so-so these days, but it's much faster in LW11.6 than in LW9.6
not saying it's 'Wow' but it's faster than before...

here with a 32x32x32 cube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM6pJNmk8G4

JoePoe
11-28-2015, 11:46 AM
I'm not getting that action at all! :mad: (2015.3 MAC)
Exactly the same as 9.6 for me. On a 32x32x32 cube with a 4 cut preset.... adding 1 more cut takes 13 seconds to redraw.
2 seconds faster in 32 bit.