PDA

View Full Version : ANN: Instant 3D Turntable for LightWave

ConjureBunny
11-18-2015, 12:23 PM
In my quest to make LightWave users masters of all domains, I've created a Unity 5 template based system you can use to instantly create interactive turntables with all kinds of bells and whistles, turntables with animations, user navigable and waypoint driven scenes from LightWave assets. You can build an interactive portfolio for your phone. Build apps to send to people that safely contain your models in all their glory. Take advantage of Unity 5's PBR capabilities and build extremely outstanding, interactive scenes the user can walk around in.

This includes a dead simple waypoint system that lets you control how the user moves through a scene, along with a preconfigured full WASD navigation system if they just want to walk around. It also includes a simple template for a turntable, with a number of drag and drop, pre-programmed buttons for activating animations and toggling things in your environment and models. And it's all packed into one tiny set of templates.

Just download the free version of Unity 5, open the Unity project in this kit, and drop in your LightWave assets. Almost immediately, you can build Mac, PC, Linux, iOS, Android, or HTML5 based apps directly from it. Even if you're an experienced Unity user, this will shave time off the build cycle, by automating a lot of setup.

http://www.liberty3d.com/2015/11/7710/

Video overview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfv9lhGYM7w

Slightly longer, real time video demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emgbiNinbZU

It's about an hour of instructional video covering a lot of topics, and a Unity 5 project with all the stuff tucked neatly into folders.
If you have any questions, please ask in this thread. While this requires literally no programming, as I improve the product and if people have specific requests, I'll make notes of them and how they work here.

Thanks!
-Chilton

DCjr
11-18-2015, 02:29 PM
Oh my goodness!
This is awesome!!!!!!
Thanks! I will be trying it out soonish.
on a side note:
I'm almost ready to view my rendered output from ubercam. I want to see it on my ipad. What app would you suggest for viewing sterescopic output on an ipad?

ConjureBunny
11-18-2015, 03:59 PM
Oh my goodness!
This is awesome!!!!!!
Thanks! I will be trying it out soonish.
on a side note:
I'm almost ready to view my rendered output from ubercam. I want to see it on my ipad. What app would you suggest for viewing sterescopic output on an ipad?

That's a really good question. As far as I know, there are no stereoscopic viewers for the iPad at this time.

(Probably because there are no stereoscopic headsets capable of using the iPad screen)

-Chilton

DCjr
11-19-2015, 02:44 AM
Oh, ok
I guess I should have said iPhone. I want to make 3D animations!!

ConjureBunny
11-19-2015, 06:09 AM
Oh, ok
I guess I should have said iPhone. I want to make 3D animations!!

Well, if you wanted to, you could drop in Google Cardboard SDK for Unity into the turntable and it would pretty much work immediately. In fact, I might add a video showing how to do that. That would work great for watching still panoramas.

What kind of content do you want to view?

-Chilton

mummyman
11-19-2015, 08:20 AM
Neat, Chilton! I'll have to grab this soon. Very nice. Thanks for adding something like this for the LW community. Seems very handy. And even more handy once the next LW version comes out with better shading.