PDA

View Full Version : Control Transparency With a Null

wrightyp100
11-18-2015, 09:34 AM
Hello there.

Hope everyone's well.

I am trying to figure out how to control transparency with a null object.

I simply want to have a cylinder, and when I move a null down to the base, this reveals the model.

Is this even possible?

Cheers in advance.

jeric_synergy
11-18-2015, 09:37 AM
Lotsa hits on google.

wrightyp100
11-18-2015, 09:52 AM
Thanks.

I googled before I came to the forum. I never post unless I have.

Didn't really find what I was after. A few of the links where for after effects, so those were useless.

Unless I missed something. I saw animating transparency, but that just controls it as a whole. I want it to reveal gradually.

If there is a tutorial I missed, I would appreciate a link.

I've been trying to do it with nodes after a great scene for morphing in relation to null position was posted up by a kind forum member.

Unfortunately, I couldn't reverse engineer it and then apply that to transparency.

So again, a steer would be nice.

Thanks.

wrightyp100
11-18-2015, 10:09 AM
Found a link a couple of pages in ( a guys suggestion off the top of his head and not massively in depth), and it sparked my memory. I forgot that you could assign 'Distance to object parameters' in the transparency settings. Basic thing.

Hopefully I can get this to work there.

Thanks to BiLLS on Foundation 3D.

Sensei
11-18-2015, 10:16 AM
Item Info node, World Position to Node Library > Tools > Split Vector (or Vector->Scalar), then to some Gradient, and plug to Transparency..

prometheus
11-18-2015, 10:47 AM
no special treat..just use a null ref and a y gradient distance to object and set it to reference a null at the bottom at the disc with enough size in the gradient, and gradients set correctly, you can then move the null and it should work nicely.

ehh..null position depends on the gradient setup..
here´s a simple scene setup, this doesn´t account for a true object reveal, top is affected..so you could try with clip maps, or use dpon´t boleean nodes instead...wich might be better.

drag time slider, use active vpr, and make sure the null is referenced when loading the scene, seems that some things can be broken sometimes.

prometheus
11-18-2015, 11:00 AM
And with dpont´s free boolean nodes, you can have the full 3d surface retained....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDWiHQLAqI4

wrightyp100
11-18-2015, 11:16 AM
Absolute gems the pair of you. :) Thanks very much.