PDA

View Full Version : Edges/Lines problems

TheMrCul
12-08-2003, 08:18 PM
Hello everyone. I'm very new to 3D modelling. I'm currently following through a tutorial on how to model a human (my first try at lightwave). And I've found answers to most of my questions so far in the manual and in the forums, but one remains. Some of the points in my models are linked together (with an "edge" or a line) for no apparent reason and I don't want them to be. I'll post an example.

See this point:

TheMrCul
12-08-2003, 08:19 PM
It's attached to this point:

TheMrCul
12-08-2003, 08:21 PM
This is the line I want to remove:

WCameron
12-08-2003, 08:22 PM
In Polygon Mode, push w, and select "2 vertices" by clicking on the little + sign, then push the Delete button.

this happens when you weld points sometimes, basically what happened is a polygon got flattened between two points and turned from a 4 point poly to a 2 point polyline.

(edit)
actually the other pictures haddent been posted before I posted that.
In this case it looks like you selected a point at the pack and a point at the front and created a poly there.
select the poly created between the two points and delete it
and it should be ok (Might be a hole you have to rebuild though).

- Will.

TheMrCul
12-08-2003, 08:25 PM
Because it is stuffing up my subPatching, making it like the picture below. I know that if somehow I remove the line (without removing the two points, or merging them into one) that the subPatching will work properly, because I've fixed other places with points that I could remove and the subpatching worked there. But I don't know how to remove the line without merging the points or deleting them etc. Can someone please tell me how to do this? Thanks!

TheMrCul
12-08-2003, 08:29 PM
Wow what a quick reply!
I thought of that WCameron but it isn't a polygon I think, it's just a "line", an edge of a polygon. I can't even select it in point or polygon mode (that's why I don't think it's a polygon) I can only select the two points at the ends of the line, and there seems to be no tool in lightwave that works!

thekho
12-08-2003, 09:47 PM
Try merge points, unfiy polygons then clicking the polygon mode and select 2 vertices in Polygon Statistics and delete them.

TheMrCul
12-08-2003, 11:45 PM
Thanks. I just deleted the points and built up polygons in the holes. I was dreading having to do that, but it wasn't so bad. Funny how you can't just delete the edge, that would have been a lot easier. Oh well.
Thanks for your help WCameron and thekho