PDA

View Full Version : Installed LW 2015.3 on different partition, can I uninstall 2025.2

THREEL
11-18-2015, 04:58 AM
The thread title pretty well says it all. I just installed the latest update of LightWave, 2015.3, on a different partition of the same hard drive as the already installed 2015.2. Reason: For some strange reason, the company that built the computer, namely ASUS, put a 2 TB hard drive in as the master, but only gave it a partition of 150 GB where they installed Windows and a few other programs. With that being said, I don't want to reformat the hard drive. Plus, they didn't actually include the original program discs with the computer.

So, the question is, I downloaded the latest and greatest version, 2015.3 to the larger partition. Is it, now, alright to uninstall LW 2015.2 from the smaller partition?

Thanks!

spherical
11-18-2015, 05:55 AM
Of course. Or you could leave it as a backup for a while. I have, Idunno, 10 different versions installed in case I need to revisit a project done in an earlier version; some on the same partition, some on different drives. Ever since v10, the config files are written to unique directories in your /User directory in order to keep the configs separated. You should find both version trees there.

THREEL
11-18-2015, 06:15 AM
Well, now all I have to do is track down my license key. o.O

spherical
11-18-2015, 02:53 PM
Usually:

%SystemDrive%/Users/[username]/.NewTek/Lightwave/[version_number]/licenses

Keyfile downloadable in your account.

THREEL
11-18-2015, 11:33 PM
It should be the same license.key that runs 2015.2. Correct?

THREEL
11-19-2015, 12:03 AM
I'm not sure what's going on with this. I downloaded the LICENSE.LWK to the specific location and went there to get it. I pulled it into the splash screen, closed LW, reopened it, but it still shows Discovery Mode. Do I need to change the number at the lower left corner of the screen?

spherical
11-19-2015, 12:39 AM
Just copy the file into the respective location that I cited, above, for the specific version in question. The Drag/Drop method is unnecessary and a waste of time; especially when it doesn't work for whatever reason. If the applications find the file where it should be, they run in Registered Mode. Put it there before they look for it and you're off and running.

THREEL
11-19-2015, 06:49 AM
I did exactly as suggested. Still only working in Discovery Mode. Could it be, because I installed 2015.3 on a different partition of the same drive and it's looking for the license.lwk file in the wrong directory?

spherical
11-19-2015, 03:25 PM
My installs are on a completely different set of drives from where the /User directory is and they work just fine. A partition on the same drive is therefore rendered irrelevant.

Do you have a hardware lock (dongle) or are only running in software mode? If you have one, put the quad license numbers in a file named license.key in the directory specified above.

rwhunt99
11-21-2015, 03:27 PM
There are free tools to move or enlarge your partitions, to help you with install space. One of my pet peeves it when applications don't give you an option to install in a different drive. Google - MiniTool Partition Wizard, it's free and works pretty good. That said, there is an install help file that comes with Lightwave 3D that explains how to install and set up your application on different drives and as long as the shortcut points to the place where it is installed, you should be good to go. I recommend you read that thoroughly. Doesn't matter where the other versions are, as long as you point to the right folder.