PDA

View Full Version : Missing normals

raymondtrace
11-16-2015, 10:18 AM
I am opening a LW7 scene/objects in LW 2015.3 and noticing a lack of normals on discs. The attached image shows a cap to a container. The side edges of the cap show the direction of the normal but the disc face gives no indication of normals. It previews in Modeler okay but not in Layout's render or preview. Half the disc (D-shape) renders in Layout with the other half apparently flipped down.

I've tried aligning/flipping/duplicating the faces but I get even wonkier results ...as faces I had not selected become selected after an align function.

Is there a trick to restoring the normals? Any help is appreciated.

(The mention of LW7 -> LW2015.3 does not necessarily mean there was an error in upgrade. It may be that I modeled this poorly back in LW7 days and LW was a bit more forgiving)

JoePoe
11-16-2015, 11:12 AM
In Modeler run Unify Normals. The result will be more representative of what you're seeing in the render. You can then see what needs flipping.

Furthermore... All those pie shaped polys are actually quads. The centers haven't been welded. (Doing that will also show what needs to be flipped.)
But in terms of showing the normals.... this seems to be "normal" ;) behavior. In 2015 create a simple square, squish two points together without welding. The Normal indicator disappears. Merge those two points and it comes back.
Separate the points slightly or Merge those center points and the normal pointers will return.

Kryslin
11-16-2015, 11:19 AM
The problem being is there is some degenerate faces in the disc surfaces; some of your triangles have 4 points.

Merge the polygons (Shift Z) that make up the faces. inset them with bevel, then collapse the polygons. delete any points that have no polygons associated with them.

You may have to merge points (use a fixed distance, .001m got 91 points) and delete your 2 pt polygons that this will create.

raymondtrace
11-16-2015, 12:49 PM
Many thanks to both of you. I greatly appreciate it. Welding the center 48 points to one and a normal flipping resolved everything.