PDA

View Full Version : Fixed points in bullet??

desertwp
11-15-2015, 11:56 PM
Question? Can we use fixed point sets in bullet like we can in the regular dynamics panel

BeeVee
11-16-2015, 01:56 AM
For what exactly? In 2015 you can use Constraints to pin things, act as hinges and the like. Is that what you want?

B

prometheus
11-16-2015, 10:59 AM
Question? Can we use fixed point sets in bullet like we can in the regular dynamics panel

I donīt think you can, you can however just leave the part with the points inside of other segments that will not be deformed or affected, so that way it works almost the same..without the need of fixed points I think.
so a cable deforming between two object holders, just make sure the polychain or full deforming body has itīs ends inside the other objects.

for deforming bodies, you set the deforming bodies to be active with weightmaps, those without weigth will not be affected, you set that in mesh filter for deforming bodies.

hrgiger
11-16-2015, 12:06 PM
You can set glue strength to keep the object together and then set a null with a fixed distance to dissolve the glue only where you want things to break. Not exactly pins but could be useful in a similar way.

prometheus
11-16-2015, 12:18 PM
The problem..

the OP hasnīt specified wether to use it for softbody deforming bodies, or parts bodies hardfx.

BeeVee
11-16-2015, 01:29 PM
Depending on what they want to do a Point-to-Point Constraint would be the thing.

B

jwiede
11-16-2015, 01:32 PM
Depending on what they want to do a Point-to-Point Constraint would be the thing.

Depending on what they want to do, a ball peen hammer would be the thing. :devil:

Farhad_azer
11-16-2015, 02:00 PM
Greenlaw taught me to use gradient in shape retention for example, this might also help for deforming objects.

Greenlaw
11-16-2015, 02:35 PM
I think it depends on what it is you want 'fixed' and what you mean by "regular dynamics panel."

If it's for cloth or any deforming item, then, Farhad is correct--you want to use a weight map in Mesh Filter. If you also need a fall off effect, you can use a gradient with the weight map in Shape Retention. These are more or less the equivalents if you're talking about ClothFX.

For other dynamics, it's like the others have said, use Glue or one of the new Constraints. (I would say these are the equivalents for HardFX except they actually go way beyond anything you could do using HardFX.)

There are many options available in Bullet and it all depends on what it is you're trying to do with it. Perhaps a better description of what you're looking for would help us provide a more specific answer.

G.

jeric_synergy
11-16-2015, 05:15 PM
OFF-TOPIC & #aflw : can you use MetaLink with Bullet meshes? IOW, have the lowrez mesh doing 'Bullet stuff', but deforming a high-rez mesh?

Greenlaw
11-16-2015, 06:04 PM
Sure. Just be aware that any fine detailed dynamics you expect to see in Bullet Deforming sims should be done to the high res mesh directly. Bullet's detail will only only be as high as what the cage object is capable of--a Metalinked low-poly cage object is not going to magically create more detailed dynamics on the high res object. That's not a Bullet limitation, it's just how Metalink works.

To be clear, I'm mainly talking about cloth sims with Bullet. It shouldn't be an issue for Bullet and rigid body stuff.

squarewulf
11-16-2015, 06:42 PM
you could use chronosculpt haha