PDA

View Full Version : LW>> Unity: pitfalls? / VR interest / Google cardboard

jeric_synergy
11-14-2015, 12:29 PM
Attended the Seattle VR interest group's premier meeting -- GAHD I want 'Tiltbrush' !!!!

Look like Unity is the defacto tool: anybody got insights into the transition from LW to Unity? First impressions are that nobody builds geometry in Unity, everybody seems to be using anything else, while they put it together in Unity.

Already experimenting with Liberty3D's Ubercam.

DrStrik9
11-14-2015, 12:38 PM
Tilt Brush looks AWESOME.

http://www.tiltbrush.com/#intro

jeric_synergy
11-14-2015, 12:50 PM
Tilt Brush looks AWESOME.
http://www.tiltbrush.com/#intro
IT IS. It was KILLIN' me that the demos were limited to just 5 minutes.

And I gotta say, the artistic bar was pretty low in that crowd-- I got compliments for some very mediocre work. GAHD IT WAS FUN.

When somebody makes the geometry equivalent to TiltBrush, watch out.

EDIT: realistically, when ZBrush gets ported to those highend VR platforms.

ConjureBunny
11-15-2015, 08:17 PM
Hi jeric,

I kinda live in Unity. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

-Chilton

Zerowaitstate
11-15-2015, 08:49 PM
im super keen to get this production path bedded down, any chance of a video would be super helpful. Also how animation is pushed through from one app to the next . i had tried with 11. and had some luck still have to run through with 2015 and see if it is easier

Zerowaitstate
11-15-2015, 08:55 PM
im super keen to get this production path bedded down, any chance of a video would be super helpful. Also how animation is pushed through from one app to the next . i had tried with 11. and had some luck still have to run through with 2015 and see if it is easier.

PS uber cam is cool

ConjureBunny
11-15-2015, 09:23 PM
Absolutely, just tell me a bit more about what you'd like to know.

I spent part of the summer building a competitor to Google Cardboard and GearVR, so this stuff is all pretty fresh in my head.

-Chilton

Zerowaitstate
11-15-2015, 11:10 PM
Absolutely, just tell me a bit more about what you'd like to know.

I spent part of the summer building a competitor to Google Cardboard and GearVR, so this stuff is all pretty fresh in my head.

-Chilton

For me what would me most useful is a step by step.

something along the line of:
here is unity lets start with a new project
create project
import DK2 camera confab
create lighwave project
create LW object
create basic uv map ( i can't believe texturing is still l pain in rectum after all this time still)
export to unity
swap to unity check results

then basic animation is this done in LW then transferred or all done in unity?

is there any special scaling needed
do pivot points and parenting flow through from LW ?

i know this is a big ask, but it this was made and it laid it out real simple ( well as simply as it can be ) i am sure LW might be use more and more for asset generation, i feel there is a big boom on the way with VR and i want LW to be part of it.

jeric_synergy
11-15-2015, 11:21 PM
Hi jeric,
I kinda live in Unity. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)
-Chilton
Thank you Chilton, when I know enough to ask a decent question, I'll be taking you up on that. :thumbsup:

ConjureBunny
11-16-2015, 09:39 AM

create project
import DK2 camera confab
create lighwave project
create LW object
create basic uv map ( i can't believe texturing is still l pain in rectum after all this time still)
export to unity

i know this is a big ask, but it this was made and it laid it out real simple ( well as simply as it can be ) i am sure LW might be use more and more for asset generation, i feel there is a big boom on the way with VR and i want LW to be part of it.

Awesome.

I'm putting together a set of videos on VR at the moment, and I will do exactly this.

-Chilton

Kevbarnes
11-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Awesome.

I'm putting together a set of videos on VR at the moment, and I will do exactly this.

-Chilton

+1 from me

Paid for of course

Zerowaitstate
11-16-2015, 09:47 PM
+1 from me

Paid for of course

let me know if you need feed back,

i actually ran through the manual (2015 and found the instructions much better) how ever still managed to get unstuck with the "copy texture contnets directory to (unity project/ asset folder location)

i actually set contents directory to this location and created all the LW specific folder structure as well with in the asset folder

unity still wold not show a scene with objects,

it did how ever pop a "specify lightwave installation path dialog"
each time i did a save in LW .... so it is talking in some scene

in you video if you could really lay out the uv mapping / baking process process, it would be great to be able to do super custom textures with procedural and all bells and whislts turned on them be able apply this nice finishes to the items in unity.

In a sense the VR stuff is taking us back to all the old challenges we use to face when rendering 3d CGI on 6800 CPU all over again reduced pollies reduced textures reduces lighting etc,

ConjureBunny
11-16-2015, 10:00 PM
I can make all that seem like child's play.

Or at least make it straightforward and fun :)

-Chilton

sami
11-16-2015, 11:46 PM

create project
import DK2 camera confab
create lighwave project
create LW object
export to unity

For some things I animate all in LW (even using RebelHill's awesome Rhiggit) then control the animations by Unity code. Or create models bones and weightmaps in LW and use controller input to animate the bones - Or I use this amazing tool for Unity:
http://www.west-racing.com/mf/?page_id=2