PDA

View Full Version : LWCad 5... WOW...

Cageman
11-13-2015, 05:14 PM
What the title says... Victor has been busy and... well.. I'm floored!!!

Snosrap
11-13-2015, 05:52 PM
Can you elaborate?

DrStrik9
11-13-2015, 06:15 PM
Yes, please elaborate. :+)

hrgiger
11-13-2015, 06:59 PM

Viktor has been very busy. LWCAD 5 was due out some time ago but Viktor made the decision to rewrite LWCAD architecture and LWCAD 5 is first result of that. He has hired a developing partner to help him with his efforts. He is responsible for new LWCAD installer which makes removing and installing LWCAD very easy and quick. You no longer have to configure menus or designate your preset path or manually install plugins, you just need to enter license info.

Viktor is already working on next iteration in LWCAD 5 series as well as fixing any glitches with initial version 5. LWCAD 5 will continue to get even better.

prometheus
11-13-2015, 08:31 PM

what especially did drop you jaw to the floor :) any special tool feature or something else?

google live help documents, seems nice, but if you sit in a cabin without internet..it should have a pdf doc too ..maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2fnRoX6XLU

Edite...I just noticed he has a feature I was requesting in my topmod lightwave structure thread, that is ctrl click to select an edge loop.

Michael

meshpig
11-14-2015, 12:18 AM
Come on, it's an huge boost to modeler and I doubt you live in a cabin :)

prometheus
11-14-2015, 01:03 AM
Come on, it's an huge boost to modeler and I doubt you live in a cabin :)

one has nothing to do with the other, yes ..of course itīs a huge boost as modeling toolset...and you are wrong..I am white trailer trash..sneaking in at others home for each post on these forums I do:D

seriously..just thinking about occasions when I may visit the countryside with no internet, or just using a portable computer in the bed not connected..but agreed, those times will be quite few maybe.

meshpig
11-14-2015, 02:47 AM
... never mind the countryside, try the internet in any $+ Euro hotel. Pretty sure synapses work everywhere :)

MonroePoteet
11-14-2015, 09:34 AM
For security reasons, my main rendering node has no internet access. So I don't need to run an anti-virus on that system to use up resources which are better used in modeling, rendering, etc. All kits, plugins and so forth are vetted on my web-accessible node before being moved to the rendering system. I think any and all developers should provide offline documentation in all cases.

mTp

Signal to Noise
11-14-2015, 09:45 AM
... He is responsible for new LWCAD installer which makes removing and installing LWCAD very easy and quick. You no longer have to configure menus or designate your preset path or manually install plugins, you just need to enter license info.

I got around to purchasing and installing LWCAD 5 (upgrade from 4.5) yesterday. I did not find the installer 'easy & quick'. When I ran the installer I chose all my LW installations to apply LWCAD to. I have both LW 11.6.3 & 2015 installed. The 11.6.3 went fine but with 2015 I still had to manually add the Modeler menu tabs to the configuration editor. I also don't like that the default install buries LWCAD into several locations (i.e. Preset path is in Windows\User, LWCAD 5 is in LightWave\Support\Plugins or whatever), I would have preferred a separate LWCAD 5 folder just like previous versions. Oh well, the update itself looks to be fantastic, tho'. I plan to play around with it this weekend.

hrgiger
11-14-2015, 09:51 AM
Hmm Signal, I had problems with it when he first introduced it during the beta but now it works with no issues and im on 2015. If you continue to have issues with it, you might want to send viktor an email.

Marander
11-14-2015, 10:35 AM
I would have preferred a separate LWCAD 5 folder just like previous versions.

You can still install it manually wherever you like (except the language files maybe but I doubt anyone will ever use that).

Automatic installler worked fine for 2015.3 and 11.6.3 for me, however you need the hub to be closed maybe. The installer doesn't work within VMware, there is only a black Window (but after installing manually it works fine within a VM too).

prometheus
11-14-2015, 11:51 AM
For security reasons, my main rendering node has no internet access. So I don't need to run an anti-virus on that system to use up resources which are better used in modeling, rendering, etc. All kits, plugins and so forth are vetted on my web-accessible node before being moved to the rendering system. I think any and all developers should provide offline documentation in all cases.

mTp

Exactly...and one might not wanīt to spend money on a portable internet connection either, so offline manuals have their place.

JohnMarchant
11-14-2015, 12:44 PM
Agreed the option for offline documentation is a must, not just LWCad. I read them on an iPad not always connected to the internet.

Cageman
11-14-2015, 04:00 PM
It adds so much to LW.

It makes people using "modern" modelingtools, such as MODO, come back to "useless Modeler".

It is awesome. Victor is awesome.

Not sure why I need to say this. You should know allready.

Why isn't Victor developing for MODO, Maya, Houdini? Why is LightWave his choice? Think about that one for a while...

Therefore.. my jaw is dropped...

The dedication, the will, the persistance... the LOVE.

We are spoiled to have such a great modeling plugin in the aincent environment that Modeler actually is. My jaw drops at these things. I think it is amazing.

NURBS modeling... Does MODO do that? NURBS rendering... Does MODO do that? (Sorry, but MODO is one of those apps that is constantly being meassured with LW, therefore I bring it up).

I've been mostly busy with a game called The Division for about a year. I havn't kept up with all events happening, but before that, I was introduced to the various subsystems in LW Modeler that makes it hard to update, especially regarding "how much faster will it be for the end user to do x or y". Edges is one of those things that costs a lot of evaluation time, as far as I understood the presentation I was given at that time... and the reason for that was that "LightWave doesn't really know what edges are".

Modeler, and certanly Layout, still have much of that core left.

Given that...

How can you not be floored about Victors developements regarding LWCad despite the state of how the current version of LW works, internally?

:)

Unified Mesh System... looking forward to see what that will bring, internaly in LW, but also... what will someone like Victor be able to do with it?

prometheus
11-14-2015, 04:14 PM
NURBS modeling... Does MODO do that? NURBS rendering... Does MODO do that? (Sorry, but MODO is one of those apps that is constantly being meassured with LW, therefore I bring it up).

all your reflections on it is quite valid indeed..and I donīt argue about it at all...except for maybe this.
Nurbs..is present in houdini, cinema3d, 3d max and has been for ages I think...references towards Modo? well ..lw-cad has just gotten this recently, I wouldnīt be surprised if the modo team will implement that very soon, and I am sure they are spy tracking victor and are trying to keep up with what is available for lightwave through third party developers, and they try to acheive similar..but they also seem to push it in to modo as part of modo...like
mesh fusion...it became more expensive though.
the profile presets in modo seemed like they sort of stolen the concept from lw cad profiles...stolen is perhaps the wrong word, every developer looks at the other side and implements good tech.

but I wouldnīt be surprised if a nurbs tool shows up very soon in modo too.

I must admit I was way more interested in investing in a modo license than updating lightwave some month ago, but that has now changed..partly because of the feedback on the new lw 2016.
So since I did upgrade to a 2015 license...additional plugins for me to look in to would probably be in this priority order.

1. all 3rd powers tools.
2. lwCad5
3. turbulenceFD

4. some Ryan Roye vids :)

spherical
11-14-2015, 04:23 PM
Why isn't Victor developing for MODO, Maya, Houdini? Why is LightWave his choice? Think about that one for a while...

IIRC, there were talks some time back but things didn't go positively. Or was it Thea Render... or both?

BokadCastle
11-14-2015, 04:32 PM
The 11.6.3 went fine but with 2015 I still had to manually add the Modeler menu tabs to the configuration editor.

Check that you have this path - C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\support\plugins\Wtoo ls3D\LWcad5

Then use the installer to remove LWcad5.
Use the installer again to add LWcad5.
I have a theory about how the last 2 directories are added.
I think the installer tries to add ...um, just try it. :)

hrgiger
11-14-2015, 07:14 PM
the profile presets in modo seemed like they sort of stolen the concept from lw cad profiles...stolen is perhaps the wrong word, every developer looks at the other side and implements good tech.

Oh, there is a lot in Modo that is very much inspired by LWCAD. The presets, snapping, bevel profiles. And Peebler definitely follows Viktor's work and I believe actively tried to recruit him to develop for Modo.

Concerning other apps though, LWCAD will be ported to other apps besides LightWave, part of why Viktor hired a partner.

prometheus
11-14-2015, 07:36 PM
Oh, there is a lot in Modo that is very much inspired by LWCAD. The presets, snapping, bevel profiles. And Peebler definitely follows Viktor's work and I believe actively tried to recruit him to develop for Modo.

Concerning other apps though, LWCAD will be ported to other apps besides LightWave, part of why Viktor hired a partner.

yup..that is what I thought was the case, and I knew Brad has expressed impressed tweets for victor.

yup.other platforms...not sure about modo, I would think modo would code wise be a natural platform to develop the cad tools for, but then again..3d max would make more sense perhaps regarding the amount of users it has, and also the strong connection with archviz it has.

rcallicotte
11-14-2015, 09:01 PM
Can't wait to try it. Thanks for all the encouraging reviews about LWCAD's usefulness. It means something coming from you guys, who I know know.

DCjr
11-15-2015, 01:55 PM
Im curious about it. It looks very powerful!
I recently had the task of taking a polygon disk and I wanted to rail extrude it using 2 curves that defined the shape of the extended disk - basically I wanted a tapering curving tube. I had some problems getting what I wanted.

I ended up using Magic Bevel.

How does LWCAD5 handle multiple rail extrusions? Specifically in the case where the curves define the shape of the extrusion. I can imagine this with 2 or even 4 curves that define the profile of the extrusion.

prometheus
11-15-2015, 02:03 PM
Im curious about it. It looks very powerful!
I recently had the task of taking a polygon disk and I wanted to rail extrude it using 2 curves that defined the shape of the extended disk - basically I wanted a tapering curving tube. I had some problems getting what I wanted.

I ended up using Magic Bevel.

How does LWCAD5 handle multiple rail extrusions? Specifically in the case where the curves define the shape of the extrusion. I can imagine this with 2 or even 4 curves that define the profile of the extrusion.

you could use px_bezier, or create a curve nativle, and curve profiles along that curve with rail clone, the select the cloned profile curves and use cm loft to create the shape.