PDA

View Full Version : Procedural volumetric texture help

lmstudio
11-12-2015, 02:30 PM
I have a scene that I really like how this light effect looks:

However, if I move the camera back, it looks like this:

The effect is a volumetric light with a color ramp for the rainbow (based on distance to light source, and the following procedurals- Veins, Fractal Noise, Veins, Fractal Noise). The two images above are from exactly the same frame, just moved the camera. Why do I lose detail when the camera moves away?

lertola2
11-12-2015, 07:56 PM
I don't know the answer to your question. But instead of moving the camera you could try making the camera's field of view wider. That may allow you to get more of your lighting effect into the frame without changing how it looks.

prometheus
11-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Are you referencing any of the textures to any null or object? avoid that if moving camera.
otherwise it shouldnīt behave like that...to track it down..
uncheck all your procedurals, add a new one, and check if that changes when moving the camera....if it is changing, then it might be something else than the procedurals, if it isnīt changing, itīs probably something with the other procedurals you have
set not appropiate.

could also be if you have depth of field, that might blur something out when the camera goes away.

lmstudio
11-23-2015, 04:22 PM
I found that playing with the scale fixed the issue. Thanks.
I have another question if I may. These rainbow lights will be eventually composited into a gold room that is rendered in Blender. I have the same scene, the same size, in both Blender and Lightwave, and I have been successful in bringing the Blender camera over with no issues. Animations look great, except that I have no rainbow reflecting in the walls and other gold objects, since those were rendered in a program with the rainbow. Currently, all the objects are set to Matte Object in LW so that the rainbow intersects properly and the Blender render shows through the holes. My question is, if I wanted to render the reflections somehow, but still keep them as a matte object, what would be the best way to do this? I've tried multipass rendering, but when I get them into Nuke, the passes are all messed up and not what they should be.
I have also tried unchecking matte object, turning up the reflection, and playing with transparency of different objects in the scene, and, while close, they're not what I'm looking for.