PDA

View Full Version : Problematic object: 2 probs

jeric_synergy
11-11-2015, 11:08 PM
Attached: 130926

Geeze, it's practically a BOX. But:

1) in the floor, what's up with that one trigangular shaped quad? It's got 4 points, but insists on being degenerate. DEGENERATE!!! (hehehehe)

2) in the 'doorway', I'd like to select the EDGES that make up the door, but there's some sort of issue where I can't select an Edge Loop around the door frame to include the floor, which I would then DeSelect, and use Rounder to soften that corner. I think whatever is preventing the loop from being selected is also messing up Rounder.

:sigh: :bangwall:

BONUS PROB: what's a good "6 to 4" stepdown pattern for the floor to the wall?

Kaptive
11-12-2015, 01:48 AM
1) That triangle... I just opened up the model, deleted that triangle and remade it and it popped in correct. So that should fix that. (See attatched)

2) Not sure I totally understand what you are wanting to do with rounder here. I find it a bit buggy so don't use it much. But I was wondering if it's the 5 point poly right in front of the door causing the issue? Probably unlikely, but just a thought. (Excuse the stupid quality of the image below. SOmehow I managed to mega compress it!!!!)

jeric_synergy
11-12-2015, 02:04 AM
I remade that thing seven ways from Sunday and it just wouldn't 'go'. Finally I Tripled it, Merged it, and done. But WTF?

JoePoe
11-12-2015, 10:46 AM
Triangle quad... i just ran Normal Corrector and it was fine.

The threshold: Actually you NEED a five point poly there. Where Prov Floor meets Floor there are three edges... one goes all the way across. Rounder ain't gonna like that.

jeric_synergy
11-12-2015, 05:26 PM
First I've heard of "Normal Corrector". :stumped: Really, guys, I Killed and rebuilt that thing in every combo of points.

Sensei
11-12-2015, 08:38 PM
Normal vector of polygon is calculated from 1st, 2nd and the last vertex of polygon.
So, if you have 1st vertex position equal to 2nd or last, or 2nd equal to last, in quad, it looks like triangle, and have not possible to calculate normal vector. Thus it's degenerate.
Weld unwanted points and it'll be cured.

If somebody really really badly wants to have quad that looks like triangle needs Reorder Points tool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSqYGkQAJFc
In this example point order was used internally by instancing engine. But it was wrong. And there was needed a way to rearrange point order. f.e. 1st point of polygon becomes 2nd, 2nd becomes 3rd, ...., last becomes 1st.