PDA

View Full Version : Have Another Modeling Problem

Tony3d
11-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Ok, I have tried many times to duplicate this sort of cable layout, and can not for the life of me figure out how to replicate this. Any idea's? It's probably so simple I'm over thinking it.

pinkmouse
11-11-2015, 05:03 PM
Got a bigger picture? Just to see how the ends are.

Tony3d
11-11-2015, 05:31 PM
This is all I have. The strands are suppose to be twisted only two layers it looks like.

pinkmouse
11-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Shouldn't be that difficult. Way past my bedtime now though, so I'll have a proper look in the morning.

Tony3d
11-11-2015, 07:14 PM
I'll look forward to it. I can't figure it out.

JoePoe
11-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Tony, do you have a name for such a thing?
...In order to maybe Google better images??

I get the general gist, but those sides are important.

I suspect it's three thick.

Tony3d
11-11-2015, 07:59 PM
Nope this is all I have. There are only two rows. It's a cable with what looks like a twist in a rectangle shape. Weird!

spherical
11-11-2015, 09:45 PM
So it's flat.... and twisted.... around a center insulator layer...? From the end it would look like this (with more vertical space between the "=" bars):

(==============)

tischbein3
11-11-2015, 10:07 PM
post deleted, ignore attachments

Tony3d
11-11-2015, 10:11 PM
That's how it looks to me. I can try to verify this. But whether it's two, three, or four layers, how the heck do you get a twist around a rectangle? I thought maybe using the lathe tool, but that doesn't work.

jeric_synergy
11-11-2015, 10:20 PM
That is a terrible picture.

jboudreau
11-11-2015, 10:32 PM
Nope this is all I have. There are only two rows. It's a cable with what looks like a twist in a rectangle shape. Weird!

Hi Guys

It's called a Rectangular Type 8 Litz wire, It's coiled around and then compressed into the shape of a rectangle

http://www.osco.uk.com/products/cable-and-litz-wire/litz-wire-winding-wire

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jason

Kaptive
11-11-2015, 11:37 PM

I just had a quick go using brute force methods :) There's a finished version and a work in progress version in there.
You are more than welcome to use it if you want. I just had a go out of pure interest. It's far from great though. But looks ok from a distance.

I'm sure there are better cleaner ways of doing it for sure. But I always reach that point where if it takes longer to think about some technical route to achieve it, then I just go the manual modelling route instead. I suppose it all depends on how close you need to get!

meshpig
11-11-2015, 11:47 PM
I'd go for splines, then Freeze and Thicken.

meshpig
11-12-2015, 12:01 AM
I just had a quick go using brute force methods :)

I'd say that's pretty much it.

Kaptive
11-12-2015, 12:26 AM

Ignore the previous version. I was just reading through the forum, and was looking at the LWCad5 post about nurbs, and I realised that I'd been really dumb.. and should have done this with nurbs also. So I couldn't let it lie! This one should be good enough to use :) My speed modelling challenge for the week!

jeric_synergy
11-12-2015, 12:27 AM
I just had a quick go using brute force methods :) There's a finished version and a work in progress version in there.
You are more than welcome to use it if you want. I just had a go out of pure interest. It's far from great though. But looks ok from a distance.
I'm sure there are better cleaner ways of doing it for sure. But I always reach that point where if it takes longer to think about some technical route to achieve it, then I just go the manual modelling route instead. I suppose it all depends on how close you need to get!

Really nice.

pinkmouse
11-12-2015, 03:42 AM
...I'm sure there are better cleaner ways of doing it for sure. But I always reach that point where if it takes longer to think about some technical route to achieve it, then I just go the manual modelling route instead...

Yup, that's pretty much the way I was thinking of doing it, and I agree with those sentiments precisely. :)

unstable
11-12-2015, 06:52 AM
130931 My speed modelling challenge for the week! Very nice! Now if you can just make them light up and post in the challenge thread.:D:thumbsup:

Tony3d
11-12-2015, 07:38 AM

Wow That looks great! Can you detail the steps involved? After making the initial strand, I'm not sure how you put them together? Are they hand placed? Thanks for taking the time to do this. I really appreciate it. I just need to understand how you put this together, so I can make my own.

jboudreau
11-12-2015, 07:46 AM
He took the Strand and centered it (you can do this by pressing f2 on the keyboard) then he did an array 25 on the z offset of 135mm

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jason

Tony3d
11-12-2015, 07:48 AM
He took the Strand and centered it (you can do this by pressing f2 on the keyboard) then he did an array 20 pixels on the z with a 2 or 3% for the offset

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jaon

Ok Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Tony3d
11-12-2015, 08:11 AM
Tried it, and I'm having issues with the boolean. Tried Lightwaves, and Boolean Tool 1.03.

jboudreau
11-12-2015, 09:14 AM
Tried it, and I'm having issues with the boolean. Tried Lightwaves, and Boolean Tool 1.03.

what problem are you having with the boolean?

Tony3d
11-12-2015, 09:18 AM
what problem are you having with the boolean?

Both Methods are leaving Garbage. I guess I'd have to select each one and repair right?

Kaptive
11-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Wow That looks great! Can you detail the steps involved? After making the initial strand, I'm not sure how you put them together? Are they hand placed? Thanks for taking the time to do this. I really appreciate it. I just need to understand how you put this together, so I can make my own.

Basically...

Essentially, once you have a single strand (you could make it as long as you need... I just did enough to match the reference) you just move it up on the Z axis. You keep doing it until you have a solid block of them.

I created a squared up version of the image in photoshop so I could get the angles and amounts of strands correct too, so that was useful.

After moving it forward on the Z axis about 10 times, they meet and you have a solid block of the strands. I then knifed it where the block started to have gaps (due to the offset on the Z... see pic)
Deleted the waste polys, and then just manually created the ends to finish it off. Oh and beveled the ends to round them off.

If you need more length than we see in the picture, then you'll just need to greatly extend the original strand. But the process is still the same. Just move it forward on the Z until it forms a solid block.

Hope that helps!

Kaptive
11-12-2015, 09:57 AM

Id use the nurb version, the one in your pictures is the non-nurb version. The nurb version is much more manageable than the original and flows better. I screwed up on the first one... having the same problems as you.

Here is a repeat link to the nurbed version ... 130945

You might have to fix the ends when you slice it, because it breaks a couple... but just delete any rubbish, select the edge loop and extend it into place manually. Then just "make poly" on each strands open end manually. Bit of a faff, but takes like 2 minutes max.

If you're still having probs, just shout. I'll keep my eye out!

jboudreau
11-12-2015, 10:03 AM
Both Methods are leaving Garbage. I guess I'd have to select each one and repair right?

These setting seem to work nicely with kaptives original strand

just do an array on the original strand, Z Count of 25 and a z offset of 135mm

If you go any more than 25 count you run into problems where the object starts cloning into itself which will give you the problems your are having when booleaning the object.

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jason

JoePoe
11-12-2015, 10:09 AM
No LWCad/Nurbs here, and it was troublesome building a framework in LW....

So...I brought this (I think I'm a little too heavy on the diagonals)... 130946 into TopMod (which I don't know how to use...)

Hit the Trestle (?) button. Brought it back into LW as this....... 130947.

Deleted the "extra stuff" and fixed the holes with mesh repair (no hand work), hit Point Normal move to plump it up, and tweaked the end bits (added some control loops etc). Finished with one metaform subdivide.

130948 130949

Kaptive
11-12-2015, 10:16 AM
I just chucked this together to explain better... Just go through each layer sequentially, you'll see what I did. Also, rather than doing one strand at a time, I copy/pasted a few at a time towards the end. They seemed to line up ok.

Oh, also, this is a much extended strand.

To be fair, I did all my working out on the rubbish version that I first posted. So creating the nurb version was easy after that, as I just used the original as reference in the background layer.

Kaptive
11-12-2015, 10:20 AM
Deleted the "extra stuff" and fixed the holes with mesh repair (no hand work),

Nice job!

Mesh repair... you see, it's so easy not to know such things exist lol. I guess I just like making things hard for myself :D

Tony3d
11-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Finally Came up with this. It's sloppy, but I think it will work! Had o copy each strand into a different layer in order to get clean booleans. Moved points, and fixed end caps. Lots of tedious work.

Kaptive
11-13-2015, 11:53 AM
Well worth it! Looks great!

I doubt you'll ever get that close either. :)

JoePoe
11-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Ha! Knew there were three layers :D

Looks great!

Here's the TopMod screen grab,... 'cuz I know you were curious.
(oh, and somewhere I picked up that TopMod likes geometry to be big. So the box I brought in was roughly 10m)
I think you can get rid of all the extraneous geometry left over really easily in TopM too. Something like select one face and then "select similar" and delete. Just couldn't figure it out on the fly....haven't explored the thing too much.

Tony3d
11-13-2015, 12:36 PM
Ha! Knew there were three layers :D

Looks great!

Here's the TopMod screen grab,... 'cuz I know you were curious.
(oh, and somewhere I picked up that TopMod likes geometry to be big. So the box I brought in was roughly 10m)
I think you can get rid of all the extraneous geometry left over really easily in TopM too. Something like select one face and then "select similar" and delete. Just couldn't figure it out on the fly....haven't explored the thing too much.

Thanks Joe! I'll play around with it, and see If I can do anything. Probably won't get to it till Monday though.

- - - Updated - - -

Well worth it! Looks great!

I doubt you'll ever get that close either. :)

Thanks again for all the help! You guys are just so damn creative! I know when I'm stuck I can always get answers, and that's a good thing!