PDA

View Full Version : Genoma 2 multi-Character issues

bpritchard
11-11-2015, 12:12 AM
Hey all, long time no post. I've been digging into Genoma and i'm really liking how the g2 human rig works from a setup standpoint. So i foolishly went ahead and setup 2 characters that have to live in the same scene together.

:|

Didn't know that they wouldn't work together in the scene. They don't sure a base name but i'm having a couple of issues i can't seem to figure out.

1) When i creates the skeletons/controllers it doesn't pull in the mesh name as a prefix. Thats kinda a bummer
2) I've tried renaming all or some or most of the skelegons in Modeler with a prefix but that then breaks the setup (usually fails on armikplane). I'm assuming this is becaues those items had the MODELNAME_ prefix added in front of them.

Looking at the Genoma unity example with the rename script.. is that REALLY how one has to go about using multiple characters in a scene? There's no real logical way to determine all the bits that need renaming.

Has anyone had any success using this rig multiple times in a scene? And if so do you have any advice? I'm in a bit of a pickle trying to get some shots done and really can't get anything done at this point. Something that was supposed to save a ton of time has created a BLOCKER in the workflow.

Appreciate any help i can get!
Cheers!

ernpchan
11-11-2015, 12:49 AM
Yes, Genoma is name specific. Without unique names expressions will break. See if this thread helps.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?147502-genoma-rig-issue-help-needed

RebelHill
11-11-2015, 05:58 AM
Yep, gotta rename things. Only way.

bpritchard
11-11-2015, 08:01 AM
And this no way to do this in modeler? Curious as to why the rig doesn't prefix on creation...

RebelHill
11-11-2015, 08:09 AM
I think you can do it in modeler by selecting all the parts and using the genoma add prefix/suffix tools.

bpritchard
11-11-2015, 08:56 AM
It has to be selective which is the issue. For instance, the arms when adding Ik can't have a prefix beyond left or right. It's not the expressions... Those are baseline ok. It's the objects. I've tried renaming the entire hierarchy and reassigning but then I get odd errors (one noted above). So I thought selectively renaming all the controllers... But that breaks too. It's quite frustrating especially since all the scripts are compiled and they can be edited or reviewed. :/

bpritchard
11-11-2015, 09:28 AM
renaming doesn't work. The search names for ok controls are hard coded. For instance you can't rename Left_armikgoalctrl anything as it's looking for the name implicitly. Seems as though if there was a was as part of the processor to add a naming convention that this tool might actually be useful. Right now it's just a toy.

RebelHill
11-11-2015, 10:00 AM
You CAN rename stuff... but you have to make sure the names are referenced properly in the associated expressions, and, if you want to have 2 characters in the same scene, then each must have its own set of individually named expressions. Having done this though, ofc, the plugins to edit the rig wont work as it doesnt know the new names... so this has to be done as a last step after everything has been finalised.

You can always try RHiggit... it has none of these issues.

bpritchard
11-11-2015, 10:35 AM
Hmm I'll need to dig in on how the expressions are being created. It's the @ikfkarm tag that looks to be causing the issue because it's wanting those specific names. The expressions themselves are named independatly but the references within are the issue.

Hahaha nice plug btw. I might have to give it a try. ;)

RebelHill
11-11-2015, 10:44 AM
The expressions themselves are named independatly but the references within are the issue.

Both are the issue... You need to have independently named items for there not be a conflict in the expressions, and you need independently named expressions for there not be a conflict between the characters.

chikega
11-11-2015, 10:49 AM
Rhiggit all the way :)

bpritchard
11-11-2015, 12:08 PM
I guess I'm still unclear. I can rename all of the skelegons No problem.. But I have no way of editing the base expressions being used in the construction of the arms.... Which is the break point. The expressions do name differently based on the model... Perhaps I'm missing the edit expression button in modeler?

And now 2 votes for rhiggit! :)

RebelHill
11-11-2015, 12:25 PM
You need to do the renaming in layout, not modeler. (I checked and noted that while you can do the prefix/suffix thing in modeler, the layout side doesnt respect it, and create rig breaks).

bpritchard
11-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Gotcha... Well that's painful. :( once that happens really can't make any rig changes to animated scenes....

RebelHill
11-11-2015, 12:43 PM
No... as I said, renaming MUST be done last, once the rig is considered final, as you can't perform any changes thereafter.

VonBon
11-12-2015, 01:42 PM
Rebel, I'm just curious as to why you weren't on the team to help develop Genoma?

RebelHill
11-12-2015, 01:58 PM
Much the same reason I wasnt involved in the making of the last Bond film.

DogBoy
11-13-2015, 12:58 AM
It does beg the question, why isn't there a script for this? It's not like multi-character scenes are a rare occurrence.

Kryslin
11-13-2015, 01:00 AM
I'd have to look at it, but I believe the functionality to rename expressions isn't available to lScript; LWPython is a different beast, and may be able to do it.

RebelHill
11-13-2015, 04:48 AM
Nope, there's nothing in the sdk that allows renaming of expressions, neither can you just destroy the originals and recreate them as there's no way to get the channel that any given expression is originally attached to. Manual is the only way.

Kryslin
11-13-2015, 10:41 AM
That sounds like a feature request to me...

lino.grandi
11-29-2015, 06:43 AM
If you need to use more than one character in your scene and you want to use the Genoma2 biped presets (which uses Math Expressions) you'll need to follow the following steps:

1) Create your rig (the name of the mesh will be automatically used to give unique names to the math expressions).
2) Launch the included generic LScript that simply renames the proper controls using the object name as prefix.
3) Save the scene, since at that point the item names used in the expressions will be automatically updated.

Repeat the operations with another character using of course a different name for the mesh.

Then it will be possible to use the 2 rigs in the same scene with no problem.

I'm sorry to have noticed this thread just today. Solution was quite simple.

JohnMarchant
11-29-2015, 08:27 AM
Thanks Lino.

bpritchard
11-29-2015, 09:25 AM
Fantastic! Thanks Lino. I'll give it a whirl. Now this does disable the ability to update the rig correct? Since the naming is now off?

lino.grandi
11-29-2015, 10:12 AM
You're welcome!

lino.grandi
11-29-2015, 10:37 AM
Fantastic! Thanks Lino. I'll give it a whirl. Now this does disable the ability to update the rig correct? Since the naming is now off?

Yes it does. This is an operation you should perform once the rig is final.