PDA

View Full Version : Select edge loop mode? or shift click select loop or double click to select edge loop

prometheus
11-09-2015, 09:06 PM
wish there was a function in lightwave to double click or hold shift down and click on one edge ..and it would autoselect that edgeloop...it would help the workflow being more fluent.
But I donīt think that is possible today right?

It would be sligthly faster than moving the left hand so far to the right side of the keyboard and use the arrow keys, I could map to something on the left side, but a shift function..hold down shift and select edge and auto loop performed would be the best.

Michael

Chris S. (Fez)
11-09-2015, 09:43 PM
No but Edit Edges is a quick way to edit, add and remove loops.

prometheus
11-09-2015, 09:53 PM
No but Edit Edges is a quick way to edit, add and remove loops.

Yes ..but that is not what I want and not how it should work( for this case), you can not select the edge as an edge loop, the next step I often do when that edge is selected, that is to use select ring, it will then select all other edge loops perpendicular to that first selected loop, you can not do that with edit edges, I need multi selected edge loops from which I then use chamfer and then convert to poly mode for multishifting of ribbon like shapes, so my best workflow is to select one edge and itīs loop and then go the other steps, so edit edges has no function here.

itīs not about move or add or remove edges, itīs about having one selected and perform select ring for multiloop selection in order to chamfer the edges.

prometheus
11-09-2015, 10:06 PM
I found it...I think

I was testing wings recalling something working there, edge loops in wings is L shortcut...
thought I could hold down L and clicking, and the edgeloop is selected directly when clicking.

well back in lightwave ..holding the arrow keys down, and clicking the edge, and voila it selects the loop directly when clicking the edge...remains to see if I can remap the shortcut..on the other hand, the arrow keys are functional for swiching loops.

Lightwaveīs not ideal though, it can only select one edge loop, and not continuing when clicking on others...with wings you can continue to click on other edges selecting loops in a row.

jeric_synergy
11-09-2015, 11:13 PM
well back in lightwave ..holding the arrow keys down, and clicking the edge, and voila it selects the loop directly when clicking the edge...remains to see if I can remap the shortcut..on the other hand, the arrow keys are functional for swiching loops.
?? Not seeing that here: which arrow keys are you holding down? R/L/U/D?

Lightwaveīs not ideal though, it can only select one edge loop, and not continuing when clicking on others...with wings you can continue to click on other edges selecting loops in a row.
Here, if I select an Edge, hit "Select Loop", select an Edge not in that Loop, hit Select Loop, I get 2 loops selected. Once I try to Select Next Loop it drops one, so it can't move sets of loop selections up/down.

I think most of your wishlist could be accomplished via AHK.

prometheus
11-10-2015, 12:24 AM
?? Not seeing that here: which arrow keys are you holding down? R/L/U/D?

Here, if I select an Edge, hit "Select Loop", select an Edge not in that Loop, hit Select Loop, I get 2 loops selected. Once I try to Select Next Loop it drops one, so it can't move sets of loop selections up/down.

I think most of your wishlist could be accomplished via AHK.

the right arrow key selects a loop,,,but you are doing it wrong..you shouldnīt select the loop and hit select loop and try with another edge not in that loop, you should select the edge loop directly when clicking on it at the same time as you hold the shift key in, not the other way around...so of course you can select and edge ..then arrow key, then selectg another one etc..but thatīs not what I ment, you should simply hold down the key that means loop..then click on the edge and the loop is auto selected...you can only do this with one loop.,.and not continue to click on other edges..in wings you can.

the up and down arrows is irrelevant and only chooses next edge, not necessary next edge loop either unless a full loop edge is selected.

so try this...hold right arrow key down...hold it and left mouse click on one edge that can perform a closed loop and you will see it selects it directly..try again on another edge loop without dropping the holding down of the arrow key..it wonīt work in lightwave anyway.

to note..in order to select another edge in lightwave you also have to hold shift..I just canīt get my fingers working like that..not sure it would work too.

in wings you donīt have to do that..you simple click an edge ..then the next ..then next..it requires no additional button to perform additional selections of edges, polys or point...and the same for deselecting..you just click on them again to deselect..so that is why wings can do it and lightwave not..you just click on the edge while having the shortcut l pressed down and clicking on those edges you want.

spherical
11-10-2015, 01:05 AM
I see a Feature Request on the horizon....

prometheus
11-10-2015, 01:08 AM
hereīs a little clip showcasing wings3d selection...forgot to show polyface selection.

the selection of edges are better for the most case, you got the edges highlighted only by hovering over it before clicking on it...and you got polyfaces highlighted the same way, and it also highlights polyfaces fully ..not only the edges ..so that is something I prefer..you can see much clearer the distinction between edges or face selection and parts you want to extrude etc.

the tweak tool in lightwave has of course that function of highlighting when hovering over something..but only edges and faces in edge highlighting..so we miss a full face highlight, and it should be implemented not only in the tweak tool but through the main selection process too...I think.

wings have four selection modes, vertices, edges, faces, and item..(connected) we miss that item mode in lightwave.

the constant holding down of the loop key in wings isnīt ideal either though..it calls on it and flickers since it is only repeating the command, but it is better than in lightwave..if you are good at clicking and holding down in the exact time..that is the best..but it would be great to have some shortcut or mode that selects edge loops directly."

the shell extrude automaticly sends the extruded faces as itīs own geometry in the geometry graph, similar to as if you would copy polys..paste to another layer and then thicken them..though wings method is more effective for a faster production of this action, since it extrudes (thicken) and shell extract in one go, as opposed to all the steps for copy paste and thicken in lightwave.

"
showcase of selecting the edgeloop by holding the "L" shortcut pressed down while clicking on the edges, so it selects directly..not ideal since the shortcut key is called upon all the time ..but itīs a bit better than in lightwave since I can continuosly click on next edge and next etc..and it will loop the selection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0iHghg2qcc

prometheus
11-10-2015, 01:20 AM
In wings3d ...selecting edges and faces requires no additional shift hold and click..you just click on the next edge or faces and it adds to the selection..if you want to deselect..just click on the edge and face again..so that is just a one button solution without having to keep shortcuts in your head..nor doing the actual finger motion too. :)
so that is a thumbs up for how wings handles it...in lightwave you have two shortcut buttons to deal with..to keep in mind..and to switch with buttons.

both modo and lightwave could improve on this ..based on how wings handles it ..if possible, there are some shortcomings though for wings selections too though.

JoePoe
11-10-2015, 04:35 AM
Shift click on all your desired edge segments first and then click Right Arrow just once.
Adding to a group of selected loops is easy. Can't subtract easily though.

.... but I do like the idea of click selecting/deselecting loops.

prometheus
11-10-2015, 04:47 AM
Shift click on all your desired edge segments first and then click Right Arrow just once.
Adding to a group of selected loops is easy. Can't subtract easily though.

.... but I do like the idea of click selecting loops.

yes ..but itīs faster to just select one single edge loop first..the run the select ring command, that will select all the edgeloops in perpendicular direction at once, which I often want..
As seen here in this clip...

unfortunatly this method doesnīt work properly in 2015..because it drops the convert to poly selection I use later in the clip..which is needed to maintain in order to smooth shift the selection without reselecting it manually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTE6ire5qpg

JoePoe
11-10-2015, 04:58 AM
Oh. Okay. I was going by the Wings sample vid above of selecting only certain loops within the object.

Edit:
Yeah, weird. Chamfer does retain a different selection in 2015.3 v 11.6.3.

prometheus
11-10-2015, 05:42 AM
Oh. Okay. I was going by the Wings sample vid above of selecting only certain loops within the object.

Edit:
Yeah, weird. Chamfer does retain a different selection in 2015.3 v 11.6.3.

Uhmm..can you really call it retain a different selection...when it doesnt? I mean..it isnīt different ..it just looses the selection overall....but I see no difference in the chamfer tool..it is after chamfer and converting to poly selection that it drops selection.

not sure if chamfer has anything to do with it? or if it is the convert to polygons that is different?
I wonder if the newly introduced double click to deselect had to change something in the way it also converts selections to poly selections, I am not that fond of the double click outside of geometry to drop the selection, since I have a one button "d" for dropping selection..feels faster and more natural with that for me, I can understand for those not used to old finger typing memory..but I know that so well too..so for me it works better that way.

seem to be a bug anyway..which I started a thread about.

JoePoe
11-10-2015, 07:45 AM
Uhmm..can you really call it retain a different selection...when it doesnt? I mean..it isnīt different ..it just looses the selection overall....but I see no difference in the chamfer tool..it is after chamfer and converting to poly selection that it drops selection.

not sure if chamfer has anything to do with it? or if it is the convert to polygons that is different?
I wonder if the newly introduced double click to deselect had to change something in the way it also converts selections to poly selections, I am not that fond of the double click outside of geometry to drop the selection, since I have a one button "d" for dropping selection..feels faster and more natural with that for me, I can understand for those not used to old finger typing memory..but I know that so well too..so for me it works better that way.

seem to be a bug anyway..which I started a thread about.

It has everything to do with what remains selected as a result of Chamfer.
Why are you dropping the selection??
After all, you're converting (or trying to convert) something to polys. And that would be the edges from Chamfer.

After committing to a Chamfer in 11.6.3 .... 130876 and in 2015 ... 130877. Clearly different.

You can see why converting to polys works in 11.6.
And you can see why a direct conversion to polys in 2015 will get you nothing... the defining "cross edges" are missing in the selection (converting to points first and then polys will result in ALL polys being selected... in this particular case)

A workaround for 2015 would be to have twice the number of toroid sections > Select every other loop > run Chamfer > convert to points > convert to polys.

Snosrap
11-10-2015, 10:02 PM
It would be sligthly faster than moving the left hand so far to the right side of the keyboard and use the arrow keys, I could map to something on the left side,

I'm so happy I'm a lefty. :)

prometheus
11-10-2015, 11:54 PM
It has everything to do with what remains selected as a result of Chamfer.
Why are you dropping the selection??
After all, you're converting (or trying to convert) something to polys. And that would be the edges from Chamfer.

After committing to a Chamfer in 11.6.3 .... 130876 and in 2015 ... 130877. Clearly different.

You can see why converting to polys works in 11.6.
And you can see why a direct conversion to polys in 2015 will get you nothing... the defining "cross edges" are missing in the selection (converting to points first and then polys will result in ALL polys being selected... in this particular case)

A workaround for 2015 would be to have twice the number of toroid sections > Select every other loop > run Chamfer > convert to points > convert to polys.

You are misunderstanding me...I am not dropping the selection when performing this task...I mentioned with reference to a general behaviour on how I wanīt my shortcuts, so me using d for drop selection was just a
voice against using double click outside of geometry to drop a selection . performing this task is a completly different thing..I donīt want to drop a selection...two different stories.:)

Thanks for the check up on chamfer..donīt want to do workarounds with this, I thought it was perfect that chamfer keeps itīs selections the way they did, in order to simply switch to polyselections in one go, it works just as with wings3 bevel tool on edges, almost..except when you bevel edges, you can perform an extrusion directly without having to convert edge selection..it seems it auto selects faces once you have that bevel done in wings3d.