PDA

View Full Version : :D SPEED MODELING CHALLENGE: "LIGHT ME UP" - Deadline=11/22:

unstable
11-09-2015, 02:07 PM
Rules:
1. Every challenge specifies a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time modeling. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wireframe and final render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread. Note: Some challenges will include final render instructions and time limit restrictions as well. This is up to the judge creating the challenge.
3. Only LightWave is to be used for modeling. However, 3rd party Plugins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time limit, we encourage you to submit the model, but it won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. Although, not required, it is always nice if the artist provides information on how the model was created, what plugins were used and any special techniques used.
7. The following criteria is used to award points. Modeling is looking for good poly flow. The better it is, the more points awarded. Creativity is how you interpreted the specifications of the challenge and applied them in way not necessarily expected. Expression is how you used the model in the final render/scene that supports the creativity aspect of your submission. Render refers to how well the model, creativity and expression were conveyed.

Criteria Points
Modeling 0 to 5
Creativity 0 to 5
Expression 0 to 5
Render 0 to 5

Challenge: LIGHT ME UP
You must model a light of any kind. Street light, night light, electric light, candle light, neon light, etc.

TIME LIMIT: You must complete all geometrical/mesh construction in 120 minutes! We're on the honor system here people.

PRIZE: Winner gets to set the terms of the NEXT Speed Modeling Challenge!

JUDGE: ME!

PLANNING TIME is free! So you can strategize how to get what you want before you start the clock. Also, you don't have to work in one block, feel free to break your time up as needed, but do keep track.

RENDER and Post Work: There is no time limit on surfacing and rendering. However, more points are awarded if your ‘final’ render displays the model in a scene rather than just a textured render of the model. Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!

Attached is a PDF of the challenge criteria. I would like to see a lot of participants even if they aren't able to meet the time limit. Give it your best shot, maybe you don't meet the criteria but you still inspire someone else's idea. How great is that?!!

pinkmouse
11-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Not sure I'll get time to finish or surface this, but i thought I'd post it anyway, to get the ball rolling. I1hr45, but still lots to do...

MonroePoteet
11-12-2015, 05:57 PM
Wow. Just wow.

mTp

pinkmouse
11-13-2015, 02:34 AM
Ta. It really wasn't that difficult. Just lots of extending edges and thicken, based on half a sphere for the back and a disc for the front. Still missing, colour frame, wiring set, lamp, hook clamp, safety chain...

Ma3rk
11-13-2015, 02:53 AM
Not sure I'll get time to finish or surface this, but i thought I'd post it anyway, to get the ball rolling. I1hr45, but still lots to do...

Just a quick comment, the top bracket/ear on the front should be swivelable in order for gel frames & scrims to be inserted.

pinkmouse
11-13-2015, 03:03 AM
Not on the old style Thomas parcans, you had to bend the frame to fit it. ;)

squarewulf
11-14-2015, 01:38 AM
Finally had a little time, was able to make something real quick.

Modeling time was only ~an hour. Nothing too special, just basic beveling, extruding, spin quad. Relies heavily on the textures unfortunately, but I had fun!
Also rendered in octane, could have let it cook longer to get rid of the hot pixels but I gotta go to bed now.

Ma3rk
11-14-2015, 06:31 AM
Not on the old style Thomas parcans, you had to bend the frame to fit it. ;)

Really! No wonder I've never seen one in TinselTown.

pinkmouse
11-14-2015, 06:38 AM
We are talking a while back...;)

caustix
11-14-2015, 07:52 AM
There is some amazing detail in it ... like it very much!

Just for curiosity ... do you measure your time in earth-hours?

Don't take this as doubt but as a compliment ;-)

Finally had a little time, was able to make something real quick.

Modeling time was only ~an hour. Nothing too special, just basic beveling, extruding, spin quad. Relies heavily on the textures unfortunately, but I had fun!
Also rendered in octane, could have let it cook longer to get rid of the hot pixels but I gotta go to bed now.

unstable
11-18-2015, 04:46 PM
Just a reminder guys that there is still time. (and to bump it back up) Where are all those that had wanted these challenges to take place again???? We've got a couple of very good entries right now, but I know there are plenty of you wanting to show your stuff. So please, submit!!

hrgiger
11-18-2015, 04:59 PM
Hoping to get an entry in tomorrow.

hrgiger
11-18-2015, 09:52 PM

Here's my entry. Quit after 2 hours, left several parts off due to time.

Kaptive
11-19-2015, 02:20 AM
Ello,

I thought I'd do something, though I kept it boring as to make it useful in the future (maybe) :)

I've included the files too, so anyone is welcome to grab them and use it if it's useful. Not that it's really great lol. I only spent an hour messing about, but hey!

131091 131092

rifenbury
11-19-2015, 04:45 PM
I modeled a pair of Oyule lamps (check them out here (http://www.popsugar.com/home/Crave-Worthy-Sergio-Silva-Oyule-Lamp-Set-1836070)). The main portion of the modeling took about an hour, with 30 or so minutes spent going back and tweaking things in between renders. Surfacing and setting up the scene took 2-3 hours total. I rendered the image along with a depth buffer to add the DoF effect in Photoshop. I also added the flames in post.

Simon-S
11-19-2015, 05:28 PM
Hello,

Here's my offering of a leaded glass lamp.

After spending about 30 mins working out how to make the shape I wanted, actual modelling took about an hour, thanks to LWCAD 5 :)

Cheers.

Kaptive
11-19-2015, 06:52 PM
Hello,

Here's my offering of a leaded glass lamp.

After spending about 30 mins working out how to make the shape I wanted, actual modelling took about an hour, thanks to LWCAD 5 :)

Cheers.

Wow, Si, that is fantastic mate! Great job!

Simon-S
11-20-2015, 02:36 AM
Hey thanks Kris! Hope you are well mate ;)

JamesCurtis
11-20-2015, 12:38 PM
Nice looking work, all!!

Sorry I haven't been able to join in on these challenges, but I have 6 projects to finish up on before the end of the year for a paying client!! Maybe after the beginning of the year, I'll have some free time.

Really feel bad about it, but, of course, paid work comes first.

unstable
11-21-2015, 06:16 AM
Wow!! You're all making this hard on me and we still have time for more submissions. Great work folks and Keep'em coming!!!! :thumbsup:

caustix
11-22-2015, 04:59 AM
Hi,

modeling took about an hour longer than permitted. I think starting over again I would be able to finish it within the time limit.

131150 131151

Starting with the curled light tube. I used the clone tool to position some cross sections and then extracted a curve and used rail extrude to generate the tube. Some more curves to bride the parts together and to connect to the socket. The tube was then duplicated and normal moved inward. Normals of both tubes face outward.

The socket was straight forward. Extended from a disk and scaling. The inlets are separate meshes array copied. For the metal connector I used clone tool again. Replicating one 1/24 segment around until giving the total of 6 loops.

During the surfacing process I had to go back to the model and do some minor tweaks basically adding a couple of edge loops to correct some surfacing issues.

Regards.

Kaptive
11-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Hi,

modeling took about an hour longer than permitted. I think starting over again I would be able to finish it within the time limit.

131150 131151

Starting with the curled light tube. I used the clone tool to position some cross sections and then extracted a curve and used rail extrude to generate the tube. Some more curves to bride the parts together and to connect to the socket. The tube was then duplicated and normal moved inward. Normals of both tubes face outward.

The socket was straight forward. Extended from a disk and scaling. The inlets are separate meshes array copied. For the metal connector I used clone tool again. Replicating one 1/24 segment around until giving the total of 6 loops.

During the surfacing process I had to go back to the model and do some minor tweaks basically adding a couple of edge loops to correct some surfacing issues.

Regards.

A tricky one to be sure! But great job.

JoePoe
11-22-2015, 09:37 AM
Very nice everyone!!

Couple of quick questions....

Simon: How'd you go about doing the "atmospherics"? One pt polys and letting DOF do it's thing? or, an Image Filter perhaps?

Caustix: Care to share the bulb surfacing recipe? Straight up Dielectric? Is there an interior?

unstable
11-22-2015, 10:11 AM
JoePoe, I believe you have to enter a model before acquiring artist tips in this thread. :deal: Nah! Just kidding. Great questions, I'm interested in seeing the response as well. We've had some great entries and time is running out.

caustix
11-22-2015, 10:14 AM
Hi JoePoe,

The tube consists of an outer glass tube and an inner solid tube. Normals of both tubes facing the same direction outwards. Inner tube is standard surface no spec and no gloss 10% transparency 20% luminance. The outer tube is bases on the interior glass shader from the LW presets panel with glossyness cranked up to 90% or so and a fast fresnel shader applied with 50% reflectivity.

Regards.

Simon-S
11-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Sorry to say there was no trick to getting the dust particles, I did those in pshop as a post effect.

unstable
11-23-2015, 06:37 AM
Modeling is looking for good poly flow. The better it is, the more points awarded.
Creativity is how you interpreted the specifications of the challenge and applied them in way not necessarily expected.
Expression is how you used the model in the final render/scene that supports the creativity aspect of your submission.
Render refers to how well the model, creativity and expression were conveyed.

pinkmouse Modeling= 5 Creativity= 3 Expression= 0 Render= 0 Total= 8
squarewulf Modeling= 4 Creativity= 3 Expression= 4 Render= 4 Total= 15
hrgiger Modeling= 5 Creativity= 4 Expression= 3 Render= 3 Total= 15
Kaptive Modeling= 5 Creativity= 3 Expression= 3 Render= 3 Total= 14
rifenbury Modeling= 5 Creativity= 4 Expression= 3 Render= 4 Total= 16
Simon-S Modeling= 5 Creativity= 3 Expression= 4 Render= 5 Total= 17
*caustix Modeling= 5 Creativity= 3 Expression= 3 Render= 5 Total= 16

* disqualified due to exceeding time limits

Excellent submissions and a very close competition. And the winner is ....... Simon-S!!! Congratulations!!!

Please create the next challenge Simon-S.

Simon-S
11-23-2015, 07:05 AM
Excellent, thank you. It was a really enjoyable challenge. :D :D

When do I need to post the next one?

Cheers

unstable
11-23-2015, 08:05 AM
You probably want to have it posted by Wednesday Nov 25th and we've been having it run over two weekends. If you stuck with that the last day for submissions would be Dec 6 I believe.

caustix
11-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Congrats Simon-S!!! Well done.

Looking forward to the new challenge.

Regards.

OnlineRender
11-23-2015, 01:37 PM
Excellent, thank you. It was a really enjoyable challenge. :D :D

When do I need to post the next one?

Cheers

quicker the better. .. . . . .. NEXT!

Kaptive
11-23-2015, 02:31 PM
I demand a recount!!! Gonna kick up a stink!!! What's uncreative about an Ikea lamp????

:P Haha, well, maybe not. I'd say that scoring was spot on, and very undeservedly generous for mine... but won't complain.
Some great entries indeed. Well done all. I'll put in a bit more effort for the next one :)