PDA

View Full Version : LW Versions

S.Beres
12-08-2003, 03:48 PM
Hi

Does Newtek have anny offer with LW7/8 for hobbystic users in lower price ? Or any EDU versions for all in lower price ??

If not i think... they should think about it... Non-Comerce version for lower cash...

How about ?

js33
12-08-2003, 03:55 PM
Well for no dollars you can get the Discovery edition. Full program with watermarked renders and some point limitations on models.

For about half of regular price you can get the Educational version. Only restriction, as far as I know, is that it can't be used for commercial work.

These things exist but I think the discovery edition can only be had through the Newtek FTP site.

Cheers,
JS

art
12-08-2003, 04:00 PM
... or you can try to find some good deals on eBay or even on Newtek's website in classifieds section.
Fortunalety, Newtek is not as strict with licensing as some other companies and you can find a legitimate copy at significant discount.

P.S.

Witamy w forum!

S.Beres
12-08-2003, 04:08 PM
Where can i find info about price of EDU version ?

WizCraker
12-08-2003, 05:47 PM
http://www.journeyed.com/jump/journey/jump.exe?NEWTEK
http://www.idesignsol.com/
http://newtek.academicsuperstore.com/

found these links at the bottom of the page at http://www.newtek.com/buynow/lw_products.html

tasmanian
12-09-2003, 05:13 AM
For Europe that will have to be www.newtek-europe.com (http://www.newtek-europe.com)

The American EDU sites won't work. Any European reseller can give you the same deal though.

mattclary
12-09-2003, 05:21 AM
LightWave is already priced for the hobbyist (I'm one). If you still can't afford it, look at the places mentioned above PLUS look in these forums (link below). Someone just sold a copy for $500. It might take a little while, but people sell copies cheap all the time around here.

edit: Actually, HURRY, he HASN'T sold it yet!!!!

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=54

S.Beres
12-09-2003, 05:39 AM
i dont think so LW is already priced for hobbyst....

Come to Poland... And look the price list :)

LW here cost :

2282 $ = 8900 PLN (polish value)

1 $ = 3.9 PLN - 4.1 PLN ( always changing )

i earn :

1000 PLN = 256 $ / 1 Month ( its for food, hause payment, electricity etc. )

In one month i have:

30$ left free / 1 Month ( for LW :P )

And now buying of LW in Poland with my earning ( most people erning here :

2282 $ + 10 % for bank ( part payment ) = 2624 $

2624 $ / 30 $ per Month = 88 Months

In this solution i will pay for lw for 7 Years :))))

Congratz.... in your knowledge about life in different parts of the world LW is for hobbyst :).... Yeah LW is for hobbyst from USA, UK, CANADA, GERMANY, FRANCE, AUSTRALIA :))))))

For you knowledge... Poland is in European Union :))) not in Chinisse union :P and ZSSR...

How about this ??

TyVole
12-09-2003, 06:16 AM
Dzien dobry!

Having lived in Eastern Europe for many years, I understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately, large price differentials are a fact for everything you purchase from the West.

On the flip side, there are a couple of Polish 3rd-party LW developers who don't charge less for their plugins just because they're from Poland.

Librarian
12-09-2003, 06:18 AM
256$ a month? Well that`s not enough to live here in Germany. I earn 2000$/month.
The crook:
My rent alone is more than 700$ a month, without duties, insurances, gasoline, food...
Yes, we earn more as some eastern european countries. But it costs more to life here. Nearly everythng is by far more expensive.
So I have 50-100$ left in a month. Sometimes more, sometimes less or nothing. That`s life.

S.Beres
12-09-2003, 06:24 AM
Yeah Polish Developers. Have prices for plugins for USA markt....

I know Lukasz Pazera ( guy who make ACS4 ).... and he know... Polish people dont buy his plugin... Cause they are too poor.... Hi lives here and he know that... He earn only on West markt

And i think Newtek should think about lower prices for really hobbyst... They wont earn money in with LW... they only want have fun from the creation

S.Beres
12-09-2003, 06:30 AM
[i]costs more to life here. Nearly everythng is by far more expensive.
So I have 50-100$ left in a month. Sometimes more, sometimes less or nothing. That`s life. [/B]

i have 2 famillies in Germany... They live in city Munster ( "u" with dots ).... And they work with one of lower state of earning jobs... And they can buy a 2 cars... , one honda sport bike..., buy a really nice hause without selling the home in block...

i know how they live in germany.... you german and you know how work polish people which live in germany.... they dont have their dream job :)....

Librarian
12-09-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by S.Beres
. they dont have their dream job :)....
Lots of us don`t have. We have the highest
rate of unemployment of all european countries. Getting a job is not certain nowadays. People think everything is better here, but that`s just not true, although I cannot complain about my personal situation.
So long, it`s a bit offtopic. Just want to make clear that even I had to save money to afford LW ;)

S.Beres
12-09-2003, 11:38 AM
i agree with you.... but you need agree with me in ...

in germany is most possible to get money for lw in normal time... than in my country :)..... Not far away but alot of different

by the way.... poland have highest unemployed % in UE.... but germany last times hurring up to us :)

S.Beres
12-09-2003, 11:42 AM
on the end...

interesting is that... why any of Newtek employers like proton... won't get discusion about this problem .... about price list for non comercial hobbyst users....

i think when they take lower price for that kind of users... i bet .. they will sell a lot more of copies and earn more for evolve

Paul_Boland
12-09-2003, 12:14 PM
I'm getting educational version but I'm waiting till version 8 ships so I can get the CD's and manual.

art
12-09-2003, 12:36 PM
It would be rather someone from the marketing team, not Proton, to answer the question.

I think that until NT comes up with a new licensing scheme (for hobbyists etc) and a way to enforce it, its not going to happen.

What would stop people from buying LW at discounted price, 50% for example, and then selling it at 75% on ebay or elsewhere for commercial use?
It this case the seller profits from the sale, not Newtek. Im not sure if they'd like it much :)
Current situation is similiar, you can buy LW at 100% and sell it at what you wish, but the difference is that you do not profit from it, so Newtek does not care what you do with your license.

Just my .02 grosze (cents in Poland :) )

TyVole
12-09-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by art

Just my .02 grosze (cents in Poland :) )

They actually have something smaller than zlotys? The last time I was there, it took about 500,000 zl to buy a cup of coffee.

art
12-09-2003, 03:12 PM
They had a denomination a few years ago. Inflation is more stable now and $1 = 4zl (approx) and at some point (2006?) they will adapt Euro, if im not mistaken.
I lived there till 1992. Poland changed a lot, but it still has lots of problems. I'm glad to see those polish artists/plugin developers for LW and perhaps other apps. Unfortunately, many people still cant afford certain programs, even if they are offered at relatively low prices, as LW.

S.Beres
12-09-2003, 03:33 PM
you're right..... and that why software piracy doesn't care anyone here... cause all know.... only elite can buy legal program for hobbystic creation...

and that's poor :(

art
12-09-2003, 07:36 PM
I wish microsoft offered their products for hobbyist use ;)

As far as piracy goes, it occurs not only in countries where people have less financial leverage (i don't like using word poor here :) ) but also in richer countries. Many people use pirated software even if they can afford it without breaking their banks.

Librarian
12-09-2003, 11:47 PM
S.Beres, I agree with you. Maybe you could try an educational version of LW ?

S.Beres
12-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Art.... i don't agree with people who have cash for legal and can buy legal without financial problems... and they get piracy copy...

I don't have cash... i try ty live with cash what i have right now....

But i have big pleasure for Newtek for their greate work ( should work more on render engine ).... and buying a legal copy of Lightwave is duty for me.... even im hobbyst and even i have no cash right now for this...

art
12-11-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by S.Beres
Art.... i don't agree with people who have cash for legal and can buy legal without financial problems... and they get piracy copy...

I do not agree with such people either, no way :)
I just argued that the lack of money was not the only reason for piracy (that was a bit off topic, I know )

I really, really support you and the fact that you want to own a legal copy. Unfortunately, other than trying the educational version or looking for some good discounts, I guess we, the people on the forum, cannot suggest much else.
Hopefully NT hears your and similiar requests.

sire
12-12-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by art
What would stop people from buying LW at discounted price, 50% for example, and then selling it at 75% on ebay or elsewhere for commercial use?
It this case the seller profits from the sale, not Newtek. Im not sure if they'd like it much :)
Current situation is similiar, you can buy LW at 100% and sell it at what you wish, but the difference is that you do not profit from it, so Newtek does not care what you do with your license.

You could use the same argument against educational discounts. Or you could even ask: what would stop people from just pirating LW for free? Essentially nothing. It's not that hard to get cracked versions. It's the same with almost every commercial software.

NewTek could sell a "home" version of LW with a price rebate and a specialized license which prohibits resale for a higher price. Then this action would be just as illegal as simple pirating.

BTW, in the past there was Inspire, a stripped down version of LW for a lower price. Maya, for example, comes in two flavours as well: "complete" (a term not really to be taken too seriously) and "unlimited", where the first one also is more affordable for the hobbyist while the latter has the features more aimed to the pros. C4D has a similar scheme, with a basic package and a number of expansion packages which could be assembled to one's individual needs. Maybe it is not so easy to go this way with LW, since most of the candidate features for stripping away would be the plugins they shopped to improve LW in the last few upgrade releases, so basically a light version would be like LW 6 or so. But why not selling this for a lower price? Just put the new interface style on it and call it Inspire 8.0. :) Otherwise the target group for such deals would rather go for second hand offers on Ebay et al, where NewTek would gain zero bucks opposed to selling it themselves.

mattclary
12-12-2003, 06:15 AM
So now we should have welfare software?

I'm sorry if the economy of your country sucks, Newtek should not feel compelled to give away their software because your government is inept. Maybe you should ask yourself WHY things are the way they are in your country and try to do something about it.

Newtek has to pay employees and pay their light bill, they can't give their freaking software away. Here in the US, the full version of LightWave is $1595 why is it more expensive in Europe ("2282 $ = 8900 PLN (polish value)"). Who is marking it up? Is part of that due to high taxes? If you want free software, use Blender.

Why did you ignore the part about buying a copy of LightWave for $500? Is that still too much? If so, how much should NewTek charge?

S.Beres
12-12-2003, 06:26 AM
http://www.quedex.com/show.php?firm=2&prod=8

Cena podstawowa wynosi 9238.35 zł. (7572.42 zł. + 22 % VAT) .... this is price from your resseler in poland.... i'm wron... price is higer than i wrote before.... without rabate ... with rabate
Cena z rabatem 8776.43 zł. (netto 7193.8 zł. + 22 % VAT)

look the link :) its not tax ... its resselers make price up...

LightWave for $500? Is that still too much?

no its greate price.... but how to buy from someone from other country than my ? isn't risk ? buy a brick in package ?... if i find LW for 500$ in poland ill buy with no think

mattclary
12-12-2003, 06:39 AM
Contact the seller and contact NewTek to see if he is a registered user. Have him send you a picture of the box, CD, and dongle. If he is on the up-and-up, he won't mind working with you to get it sold. I would never touch e-bay myself, but have more faith in what I see on these forums.

Matt
12-12-2003, 06:41 AM
Thing is, I understand your position, but if you look at similarly capable packages LW IS at a hobbyist price.

If you can't afford it maybe you should look at some of the lower priced or even free packages out there.

LW is without a doubt, hands down the best value for money for the features it has. I'm not sure they could lower the price even more, they have to make some money!!!

Matt
12-12-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by mattclary
I would never touch e-bay myself

Matt I'm with you on that one, I just don't trust it enough to use it!

art
12-12-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by sire
NewTek could sell a "home" version of LW with a price rebate and a specialized license which prohibits resale for a higher price. Then this action would be just as illegal as simple pirating.

Yes, i agree completely, and that was my key point also. They would need to rethink their licensing. Current license would not work well if they started offering LW at different prices under the same license.

Ebay.. i dont trust it completely either, but if someone proceeds cautiously, he/she can find some good deals.

hrgiger
12-12-2003, 07:08 AM
Ebay is safe for the most part. I bought my copy off ebay for l$1500 (when it was going for $2500). I happened to buy it off David Warner who does the letters page in Keyframe magazine, although, I didn't know who that was at the time. You can trust that a person who has sold 2000 items on ebay will probably not stiff you, whereas, anyone would be foolish to buy something off ebay from a seller that has a bad history or no sales (ebay keeps records of all this for those of you who don't use it.).

I agree that Newtek shouldn't lower their prices just because it's more expensive in other countries. I feel for you, but the fact is, there are lower cost alternatives out there until you are able to afford Lightwave or another higher priced package. But Lightwave is a great deal here in the country where it's sold.