PDA

View Full Version : UI color changes if you can't get the HUB to run?

jeric_synergy
11-08-2015, 11:33 PM
IIRC, global UI color changes are executed thru the HUB. What does one do if the HUB will not run?

If I directly dblclk the HUB icon, it launches for a couple of seconds, and then closes.

spherical
11-08-2015, 11:46 PM
No. Color changes are now stored in the Layout and Modeler configs; not in the Nub config anymore. Get the Interactive UI Color Tool, make your color changes and paste them into those two files. Done. Keep your color config in a separate file for future installs.

jeric_synergy
11-09-2015, 12:15 AM
Thanks. --To paraphrase Mark Twain: "It's not what I don't know, it's what I know that ain't so any more."

Ztreem
11-09-2015, 01:37 AM
press d in modeler for display options and hit the interface tab then there is a button for customize interface colors. Change it there and it will affect both Layout and Modeler.(after a restart of the apps)

spherical
11-09-2015, 03:08 AM
That, of course, only changes a limited set, and not button backgrounds, text fields, etc.

prometheus
11-09-2015, 12:16 PM
The UI interface tool is the tool.

is it workin nicely with 2015 and has it been updated anything lately?

spherical
11-09-2015, 12:42 PM
Works great. Doesn't need updating, really, other than getting access to variables that are unexposed. Some stuff still can't be changed.

prometheus
11-09-2015, 05:58 PM
Works great. Doesn't need updating, really, other than getting access to variables that are unexposed. Some stuff still can't be changed.

Thanks...I need to fix my UI, what I find problematic with the UI as it looks today, that is partly the blue selection active button ...which is a bit too non defined as an active button, I think the modo orange style is better..even if it may distract more in relation to artwork in the viewport, I reckon it was designed with that color to not be too obtrusive against artwork..but I think it fails itīs purpose.

another thing in the original UI color design I feel is too obtrusive, that is that so much of the text are too intense in white contrast.. that it getīmessy for the eye to sort out categories, like in layout..all tool buttons have stronger white text than the menu group text ..which I feel is the wrong approach, it is the group menu you need to look for in the first place when looking for a tool, and that is getting lost since your eyes reacts to the stronger tool buttons first..and you are browsing with the eyes in a non organized way to find the proper tools in the right group... which is only confusing.

What canīt be changed? Im curious about that.

jeric_synergy
11-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Get the Interactive UI Color Tool, make your color changes and paste them into those two files.
#aflw -That's a separate little program, right?

prometheus
11-09-2015, 06:40 PM
#aflw -That's a separate little program, right?

yes it is..and you can only see it working within that plugin, then save out the config, and then load in to lightwave.
I do wish for the day when I can do all that UI color change directly in Lightwave though.

jeric_synergy
11-09-2015, 06:47 PM
I do wish for the day when I can do all that UI color change directly in Lightwave though.
Maybe in another 13 major revisions.

prometheus
11-09-2015, 06:52 PM

My guess would be in the second version of lightwave 2016 earliest, seems they will not be able to do that work in the first release..but maybe soon later, it needs overhaul long overdue.

hereīs the tools and also a mov file ...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?115493-Interactive-GUI-Color-Tool-for-LW10

prometheus
11-09-2015, 07:00 PM

My guess would be in the second version of lightwave 2016 earliest, seems they will not be able to do that work in the first release..but maybe soon later, it needs overhaul long overdue.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?115493-Interactive-GUI-Color-Tool-for-LW10

I think I got it withing a few seconds to why I havenīt used it much, as I mentioned previously about text label color, I want to change text colors for labeled tool buttons, but changing labeled buttons also change the group name, which I donīt want..and it also changes the viewport dropdown colors, they are all within the same color scheme..so ..mehh.

jeric_synergy
11-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Now I can recreate my garish color choices!

prometheus
11-09-2015, 07:44 PM
Now I can recreate my garish color choices!

a couple of dislikes with it...apart from that I canīt have different colors in group label name vs tool label names...it is this..
why can they not implement a load UI txt button? the way we have to do it is to have lightwave and the hub closed, find the cfg folder and open and edit the txt in the hub cfg..that isnīt nice.

I did some small changes in the provided chundeburgers modo style,but the text label of selected color is white in modeler, and black in layout...so white text on orange button isnīt good..migh be a bug in the tool?

Too me changing the UI for lightwave is still an uncomfortable mess.

prometheus
11-09-2015, 08:31 PM
something is weird..I canīt get modeler selected buttons with the same black text even though I got it in layout...in modeler it turns up white??

tested with 11.6.2 and in lw 2015.3 32 bit.

hereīs my modo scheme based on chunderbergers, but slightly modified...I thought modeler had slightly too dark layers, and too dark backrounds defined against black text in layout, so I lightened up that a bit + a slight saturation towards bluish grey ..which I feel defines black text better than black against completly grey.
thereīs som UI inconsistent selection of item names when you look at hypervoxels names and surface edtitor item names, that shouldnīt be the case..donīt know why that is, apart from the selected item makes the background a bit darker when selected...as it should be, but it is different in darkness between surface editor and hypervoxels editor, then you got inactive names in white in hypervoxels panel..only when activated it takes the same color as surface editor.

Id you guys test it...You may end up with white text colors on selected buttons in modeler too..as opposed to black in layout, would be good to hear if that is the case for you guys too?

prometheus_modo style...

WindowBackgroundColor 72 72 72
GEBackgroundColor 86 86 88
ViewportBackgroundColor 92 102 114
BgOGLMeshColor 81 81 86
GridColor 81 81 81
AxesColor 0 0 0
LabelsColor 216 216 216
ButtonOutline 48 48 48
ButtonSelectedColor 255 162 47
ButtonSelectedText 14 14 14
TreeTitleColor 58 58 60
TreeBodyColor 120 128 138
TreeText 0 0 0
StateButtonColor 131 131 135
ActionButtonColor 96 96 96
DialogButtonColor 88 88 92
DragButtonColor 101 101 105
ToolButtonColor 96 96 96
Background 92 102 114
InfoAreaColor 92 102 114
InfoAreaTextColor 179 204 242
XMotionColor 200 0 0
YMotionColor 0 200 0
ZMotionColor 0 0 200
XRotationColor 200 0 0
YRotationColor 0 200 0
ZRotationColor 0 0 200
XScaleColor 200 0 0
YScaleColor 0 200 0
ZScaleColor 0 0 200
XMotionColorHiLite 200 0 0
YMotionColorHiLite 0 200 0
ZMotionColorHiLite 0 0 200
XRotationColorHiLite 200 0 0
YRotationColorHiLite 0 200 0
ZRotationColorHiLite 0 0 200
XScaleColorHiLite 200 0 0
YScaleColorHiLite 0 200 0
ZScaleColorHiLite 0 0 200

prometheus
11-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Ahh...sorted my issue out, guess the text color of 14 14 14 for selected button text wasnīt compatible somehow with modeler or conflicting somehow, so I changed it to 0 0 0 and it works now both in modeler and layout..

so the correct colors for my scheme should be this.. (copy these text settings open LWHUB2015.3.CFG with a text editor AND PASTE UNDER THE "HelpWebSite http://help.lightwave3d.com" LINE)

WindowBackgroundColor 72 72 72
GEBackgroundColor 86 86 88
ViewportBackgroundColor 92 102 114
BgOGLMeshColor 81 81 86
GridColor 81 81 81
AxesColor 0 0 0
LabelsColor 216 216 216
ButtonOutline 48 48 48
ButtonSelectedColor 255 162 47
ButtonSelectedText 0 0 0
TreeTitleColor 58 58 60
TreeBodyColor 120 128 138
TreeText 0 0 0
StateButtonColor 131 131 135
ActionButtonColor 96 96 96
DialogButtonColor 88 88 92
DragButtonColor 101 101 105
ToolButtonColor 96 96 96
Background 92 102 114
InfoAreaColor 92 102 114
InfoAreaTextColor 179 204 242
XMotionColor 200 0 0
YMotionColor 0 200 0
ZMotionColor 0 0 200
XRotationColor 200 0 0
YRotationColor 0 200 0
ZRotationColor 0 0 200
XScaleColor 200 0 0
YScaleColor 0 200 0
ZScaleColor 0 0 200
XMotionColorHiLite 200 0 0
YMotionColorHiLite 0 200 0
ZMotionColorHiLite 0 0 200
XRotationColorHiLite 200 0 0
YRotationColorHiLite 0 200 0
ZRotationColorHiLite 0 0 200
XScaleColorHiLite 200 0 0
YScaleColorHiLite 0 200 0
ZScaleColorHiLite 0 0 200

jeric_synergy
11-09-2015, 11:15 PM
The problem here is, there doesn't seem to BE a "LWHUB2015.3.cfg" file. May be time for a re-install.

prometheus
11-10-2015, 12:16 AM
The problem here is, there doesn't seem to BE a "LWHUB2015.3.cfg" file. May be time for a re-install.

donīt check the program folder, check your user folder..the cfg files should be there...if you have already checked that..then it might be an issue.

use explorer to search for it otherwise.

but as I mentioned it is a mess having to do this in config files..for reasons above as an example.

spherical
11-10-2015, 01:08 AM
a couple of dislikes with it...apart from that I canīt have different colors in group label name vs tool label names...it is this..
why can they not implement a load UI txt button? the way we have to do it is to have lightwave and the hub closed, find the cfg folder and open and edit the txt in the hub cfg..that isnīt nice.

No. That was only in v10. 11.x and later, you put the lines into the Layout and Modeler config files instead; not the Hub config file. Hub color changes are depreciated.

prometheus
11-10-2015, 01:42 AM
No. That was only in v10. 11.x and later, you put the lines into the Layout and Modeler config files instead; not the Hub config file. Hub color changes are depreciated.

that makes no sense? I did put the lines in the 2015 files, and that worked...why should I use two config files when the hub is only one?
do you mean this so I donīt have to close the hub?

what I mentioned about different colors in group label vs tool labels..that is a completly different story and not doable...but I donīt think you ment any of that.
you still canīt just load the text file in to a dialog from within layout or modeler..thatīs what we need.

spherical
11-10-2015, 01:51 AM
that makes no sense?

Sure it does. Remember the thread on having different UI colors for Layout and Modeler? If all of the color changes are in the Hub, that isn't possible. And, IIRC, when I incorrectly pasted the color change lines into the Hub config, most of them didn't work.

prometheus
11-10-2015, 02:13 AM
Sure it does. Remember the thread on having different UI colors for Layout and Modeler? If all of the color changes are in the Hub, that isn't possible. And, IIRC, when I incorrectly pasted the color change lines into the Hub config, most of them didn't work.

yes..from that point of view..but that wasnīt the issue for me, I didnīt want different colors for layout and modeler..not at this time anyway...maybe later.
there was an issue with selected button colors at a value of 14, 14, 14 wich was almost black color and that worked in layout ..but turned out white in modeler, I then changed those color values to 0,0,0 and that worked fine.
but sure..it may be the proper..yet messy way to do it. :)

jeric_synergy
11-10-2015, 09:23 AM
Either way, the file does not exist in the proper folder, so I probably have some issues. Reinstall coming.

spherical
11-10-2015, 01:51 PM
but sure..it may be the proper..yet messy way to do it. :)

One person's "messy" is another person's "elegant". Like I said, UI changes in Hub config are depreciated and not guaranteed to work. If you want both applications to have the same scheme, paste the lines at the top of both configs. They don't need to go anywhere special in them. I'll wager that the 14 14 14 will work in Modeler.

madno
11-10-2015, 09:06 PM
I love interface color threads.

Here is what I am currently using. Done via LW native gui color options, which store values in individual configs. Just checked - there are no color entries in the hub.cfg (I think I deleted them by hand to see if it is really working with individual cfgs).

jeric_synergy
11-10-2015, 09:10 PM
I love how everyone gives me a bad time about my color choices. :devil:

prometheus
11-10-2015, 11:22 PM

Here is what I am currently using. Done via LW native gui color options, which store values in individual configs. Just checked - there are no color entries in the hub.cfg (I think I deleted them by hand to see if it is really working with individual cfgs).

yes..pretty nice too...itīs of course highly individual with some rules that works for most people though.
personally I think the standart lightwave background grey is to dark and too grey, and with to bright text...since lw is text UI based..all text shouldnīt hit you in the face with the brigthest white in my opinion.
and a scheme of grey without any saturation in contrast too white..that I beleive will be noticed as uncomfortable..that is why I like modo grey with tint of green or blue to seperate the white better.
But white text should go down in contrast and blend in more with the background..and value sliders I prefer to have a bluish tone, to further highlight difference from standard white text.
Then you got the standard bluish button for selected/active buttons in the standard lw Ui...I really donīt think that color is proper to work for how we humans perceive active buttons...in fact I would say that the modo Ui is on of the most Ideal in terms of color at least....it is of course partly individual..but certain rules apply.

the white text in lw needs to be toned down...the active button and text should be more prominent, and the other stuff should be less..think of a balance of having text not interfering...almost visible, but when you need to look for a tool, it should be clearly readable without effort.

to bad we canīt have different colors on the group text vs button text..I really want group menus to have sligthly brighter white text..and the tool buttons less brighter.

orange in contrast to grey is a very good color scheme in my opinion, I think orange is so common for signs in everyday life for active signs, I have one with green too for active colors..based on what green stands for ..often ok to go, or active..it may work nicely too.

yours ic nice too..think I tried similar colors too, you are having darker orange since you have white text..however for me I thought the contrast was to strong between that dark orange and the background....itīs of course a matter of personal taste.

I love how everyone gives me a bad time about my color choices. :devil:

yeah..Ivé seen some of yours before...we all got our kinks :D

spherical
11-11-2015, 02:01 AM
As far as I'm concerned, you guys aren't exploring and modifying nearly far enough. When going for ease of viewing and identifying button functions, the sky is not the limit. How about these kinks.... Layout active and Modeler active on an alternating two-screen set up:

130910 130911
Load them and zoom in.

prometheus
11-11-2015, 03:56 AM
As far as I'm concerned, you guys aren't exploring and modifying nearly far enough. When going for ease of viewing and identifying button functions, the sky is not the limit. How about these kinks.... Layout active and Modeler active on an alternating two-screen set up:

130910 130911
Load them and zoom in.

:9

but Hoo...hold your horses here :) ...for me that is Way too distractive and colorful, would interfere with artwork or the display of the scene and itīs color in my opinion, but we all got or kinks :) I reckon you made some more clear distinctions in terms of different tool buttons etc..nice try though :) what if you just tone down the saturation on them? keep it differential in terms of color..but just tone it down, of course what rocks your boat will probably not rock mine, unless we sit together :9

if you tone it down..it will be more soft pastell looking, in fact it would probably look more like the lw 8 versions..except for a different hue value.

It is innovative compared to the standard non color approach lw took, they went that way to be as neutral as possible with reference to the viewport scene, but it went to neutral in my opinion wihth white text everywhere in too bright contrast.

Michael

spherical
11-11-2015, 02:47 PM
...for me that is Way too distractive and colorful, would interfere with artwork or the display of the scene and itīs color in my opinion

Like that bright, garish MODO orange doesn't. :D IMO. obviously, the tone and value of the three colors are compatible with each other, yet signify the button types and it's more fun. Besides, the Image Viewer loads with standard button colors and an F9 loads with only one button color across the top, so not as much of a distraction as one would think; not that there really is any. Surely is far less than the Layout icon and the Close Button. Different strokes...

My main reason for developing a color scheme was to increase the contrast of text on buttons and within panels. Dark grey on light grey, in anything other than a completely darkened room, is just hard to read and slows things down immensely. The other imperative change was the Blue value in the color panels. Just noticed that it must have been overwritten in my current install, as it is nearly invisible. Back to the drawing board to create a new baseline; but I don't use the RGB anyway, preferring HSV, so automatically switch by habit when going for an adjustment. Wish THAT could be made an option. Have requested it a few times. Goes ignored.

prometheus
11-14-2015, 04:30 PM
Like that bright, garish MODO orange doesn't. :D IMO. obviously, the tone and value of the three colors are compatible with each other, yet signify the button types and it's more fun. Besides, the Image Viewer loads with standard button colors and an F9 loads with only one button color across the top, so not as much of a distraction as one would think; not that there really is any. Surely is far less than the Layout icon and the Close Button. Different strokes...

My main reason for developing a color scheme was to increase the contrast of text on buttons and within panels. Dark grey on light grey, in anything other than a completely darkened room, is just hard to read and slows things down immensely. The other imperative change was the Blue value in the color panels. Just noticed that it must have been overwritten in my current install, as it is nearly invisible. Back to the drawing board to create a new baseline; but I don't use the RGB anyway, preferring HSV, so automatically switch by habit when going for an adjustment. Wish THAT could be made an option. Have requested it a few times. Goes ignored.

No...you really canīt compare your setup vs the modo theme, you have purple, blue, green, dark orange in a mix not very balanced..to many colors in the button menu and it also is active in the viewport bars..affecting and distracting from the scene viewport, the only very saturated color in the modo theme is the active orange button..you got a few buttons more with quite saturated colors and in the status bars etc.

orange (and green) is by itīs nature a color that we humans commonly react upon as a sign color as active or defining a sign..purple is not, so the color code is unnatural in my meaning, but it may work for you perhaps...thereīs a reason a lot of folks really like that scheme, there might be indivdual anamolies here and there :D

I agree with you on dark grey on light grey, by default the native theme for lightwave is bad on that, reading statistics panel and plugins etc..I thought I changed it with more contrast and lightened it up, but I found that it isnīt perfect in some menus..will have to look through it more...but I donīt agree on the button colors and text...I can read them clearly, in dark room and in a light room.

spherical
11-14-2015, 08:05 PM
:| The POINT was that most people don't go far enough in changing more colors to their liking in order to increase readability identifiability and functionality; NOT whether you agree with my preference in color scheme or if they're saturated or not (which they are far from being -- perhaps your monitor is calibrated differently). Taking the two schemes as examples, yours is far less changed from the bog-standard default, so is a case in point.

prometheus
11-14-2015, 09:13 PM
:| The POINT was that most people don't go far enough in changing more colors to their liking in order to increase readability identifiability and functionality; NOT whether you agree with my preference in color scheme or if they're saturated or not (which they are far from being -- perhaps your monitor is calibrated differently). Taking the two schemes as examples, yours is far less changed from the bog-standard default, so is a case in point.

that may be so, I beg to differ about saturated or not, they are saturated..donīt get how you can say they are not, by definition I believe saturated is colored? try photoshop and do a desaturate and we got greyscale.
you could however argue that you donīt think they are too saturated..that may be the point I think you are saying right? personally I think they are too saturated for a good UI, but thatīs my taste and not yours of course..if it works for you ..I canīt argue about that.

I got one color too saturated..and that is the orange active one, but that is needed to define it against the less saturated UI in general, having a selected button as white is a bad choice too in my opinion, grey is ruled out, black could work..if text is white within that..but I really prefer orange..or green.

Then I am trying to follow the UI concept of having it as much neutral as possible in relation to saturated colors that might show up in viewports VPR etc, that is why I thought you had too many different colors going on...but I guess we would need a competition of displaying UI and let the community vote :) otherwise we are just competing with our taste..which is just as divided as our ar....se. :)

Calibrated by taste maybe :) but yeah..we could have completly different calibration of monitors.