PDA

View Full Version : Another stressful situation started by me

Farhad_azer
11-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Hi Lightwavers,

This is the 3rd time I am posting weird question and this time I am a lot more hopeful compared to previous times.

Our very good friend Spherical told me to be a dynamic machine while talking to those who want to hire you and I did my best and succeeded. I talked to the authorities in a private university where they have small department for film and animation and I convinced them to take a look at my abilities and give me a chance to try. I actually am a graduated of Physics and have worked as Assistant professor in University and carried a very good representation on Lightwave, They introduced me to the head of department and now he wants me two following things:

1) Outline of what I can teach there as instructor
2) some special works (showreel) in LW.

You guys, to be perfectly honest, I have no doubt I can do very good for part 1. I only have problem with part two. I have some books to choose from( Inside Lightwave series by Dan Ablan), I have discovered very good resource by Richard (surrealist) and lots of other technical sources, I am sure that I will be able to be a very good instructor.

The thing is that they have given me 2 weeks and from this 4 days are past with me left with lots of models, scene and meaningless scenarios. this is very stressful because I might loose my chance by not presenting them convincing stuffs.

For example I saw there a very good Maya artist and showed him some abilities special to LW. he is a very good artist and thanks god very down to earth (sth really rare, mainly experts are a little selfish and cocky). he also asked me to teach him and I am very proud of this.

Right now, everything depends on me. I am not like a couple of months ago. I have confidence and believe in myself but you guys, I am a technical graduated individual. I cant do very good in arts. give me a differential equation and I will be ready to go but in arts and artistic regards I am crippled.

Please give me your thoughts. help me how to put my works in 10 days (9.5 days more precisely). the head of the University is a mathematician and was intrigued by my presentation but I easily can screw everything by poor showreel.

I look forward for your kind replies dear Lightwavers.

RebelHill
11-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Well... you yourself say that you dont have skills in the arts. I'm afraid that if you can't do art, you sure cant teach art, and if you press on to do so regardless, you're only doing a disservice to the students.

DrStrik9
11-07-2015, 03:37 PM
My thoughts:

For me, 9.5 days does seem a very short time. Go for quality over quantity, especially given the short time frame.

Focus on your STRENGTHS.

You can get away with using stills in a video, as long as they move a little, like making the still image slightly larger over a few seconds (video editor probably required). Also include some actual animation though.

Maybe chose a video frame size that will look decent, but not be render-intensive, such as 1920x1080 @ 50% (960x540) -- ???

Don't cheat! Make everything you show your own work.

Use pleasing music, not aggressive or weird music.

Sleep when rendering. :+)

Ask for 20 days? :+)

If you have tried out sIBL, then use that for environments: plugins are at: http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/software.html and lots of free sIBL sets are at: http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html -- this can make even an average model look fantastic in renders.

Remember that this is only your first try, so if you don't get this job, keep trying! :+) ... Bottom line: it will be an experience in which you will learn a LOT, and probably never forget. :+)

GOOD LUCK!

prometheus
11-07-2015, 03:54 PM
honestly..I donīt want to sink your confidence here...but throwing together a portfolio in a couple of days? would wish you luck with that. if you donīt have a lot of material ..or at least a few good samples that matches what they are looking for..it
might be troublesome.

What kind of university is it? aimed for art and graphics? then you are entering the room with wrong shoes if you donīt have a sense of design and art abilities unfortunatly, you can always train such sense..
but if you donīt have genes for it..it will take years.

if it is a university more aimed at visualize processes, construction etc, dynamics & physics?..you might have a shot at it.

wish you the best of luck anyway..and define what they are looking for, and reflect on it and see if you got it.. otherwise I am chiming in with Rebelhill here.

DrStrik9
11-07-2015, 04:51 PM
Both RebelHill and prometheus speak the truth, but ...

Farhaz_azer set this situation up himself, so one might surmise that he can handle the stress, and the potential disappointment of failure in this one instance. I doubt this will be his last job interview (or portfolio showing), and if he keeps his ears open and hears the feedback, he can learn a huge amount, even if this particular experience is a total washout.

And ... failures can often become seeds for success later. I suspect we've all experienced this at some point in our careers.

Yes, I know you can't teach talent, especially art talent, but ... he seems like a very smart guy, and so he is able, willing, and possibly foolhardy enough to dive in and take whatever comes, learning all the way. You will never get an answer unless you ask the question, or in this case, dive into a risky situation. Granted, it's a very tough assignment given the extremely short time, but I'd lay odds he can gain a LOT, even from failing utterly. Again, if he keeps his ears and mind open, then all he can do is gain understanding.

In any case, now that he's set up this situation, I guess I'd rather encourage him to try than dissuade him from doing his best, even if the odds are against him.

MonroePoteet
11-07-2015, 05:34 PM
I think it depends on if they have other people to teach classical animation techniques, or if that's what they expect from you. If they have classical animation teachers (using drawing, stop-motion, armature and clay, etc.), then your job would be to teach how to implementing these in a 3D software package.

Here is the Wikipedia page for the 12 basic principles of animation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_basic_principles_of_animation

and the page on animation techniques in general:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Animation_techniques

For a quick demo reel, you might implement each of the 12 techniques as a short instruction video, preferably with screen captures of the wires, scene and bone setup, etc.

If it is the Khazar Animation and Film School:

http://technopark.khazar.org/filmschool/

they are focused on film techniques in general, with animation being one of a number of disciplines taught. They are probably adopting CGI integration with live footage via greenscreen or straight compositing, so I'd also recommend being familiar with the methods to do that (chromakey, wire removal, camera match moving and perspective, compositing) and how to generate CGI elements to be integrated (props, virtual sets, backdrops, mattes, explosions, fog, smoke, etc.).

Good luck!

mTp

jwiede
11-07-2015, 07:44 PM
My gut reaction is similar to RH's.

Farhad, with respect, if your level of experience and skill isn't adequate for you to obtain and sustain employment in that field, then you are not likely qualified to be teaching students employable skills in that field either, and would be doing a serious disservice to those students by attempting to do so. I believe you are pursuing this with the best of intentions, but the simple fact that you lack a suitable, pre-existing portfolio of content should be a urgent red flag that you lack adequate experience to be instructing students at a University level in that field.

Despite having the best of intentions, an under-qualified high-level educator bears a high risk of causing harm to their students. DrStrik9, I understand your position regarding encouragement, but I believe that potential harm outweighs all other considerations in this situation.

spherical
11-07-2015, 10:13 PM
Seeing as how I had a hand in creating this, :) I'll offer some further observations on the current situation and some suggestions. IMO, with the apparent level of experience and portfolio, going for an animation position is really expecting too much. First, get your stills to a level where you are confident that they stand up to scrutiny. Then tackle an animation. Attempting to go from beginner level to a full reel has a low probability of success; especially in so short a time. I wouldn't try it. My stills are darn good. My animation at this point is pretty much limited to camera moves, as I am just now moving into rigging, etc. So, making an attempt to put together a reel that shows character/object animation techniques is currently out of the question for me, because I have so much to learn. So it should be for you. Motion is a huge, steep learning curve. You should first put together a reel that crossfades through your best stills. Get familiar with post-processing in After Effects or Fusion; adding music to the stills sequence. You'll learn a lot and have something to show when you take your next interview.

Don't give up. Jst take the proper steps in order and you'll get to your destination.

Oedo 808
11-07-2015, 11:13 PM
I think it depends on if they have other people to teach classical animation techniques, or if that's what they expect from you. If they have classical animation teachers (using drawing, stop-motion, armature and clay, etc.), then your job would be to teach how to implementing these in a 3D software package.

I think this is most pertinent, if you can put together a reasonable presentation in that time frame that satisfies the requirements they are looking for, that will be the deciding factor. It's difficult to know what they expect of you, if the person assessing your work is unable to determine whether it (the portfolio) is sufficient for the post, it's just as likely they will employ someone who is even less appropriate, not ideal for the students but it's not an ideal world. Given that you are a physics graduate who has already worked as an assistant professor, even without prior knowledge of 3D you'd be a better choice than some who lecture over here at university level, that much I know for a fact.

I'd say don't get carried away with the complexity of scenes you put together to demonstrate the techniques you want to show, work out which (if any) will work with just a wireframe rendering so you have fewer beauty renders, things like instancing may help for a quick to implement boost of crowd-pleasing effect, put it together as best you can in the time scale, don't apologize for any deficiencies when you present it and take it from there.

MonroePoteet
11-08-2015, 01:34 AM
My gut reaction is similar to RH's.

Farhad, with respect, if your level of experience and skill isn't adequate for you to obtain and sustain employment in that field, then you are not likely qualified to be teaching students employable skills in that field either, and would be doing a serious disservice to those students by attempting to do so. I believe you are pursuing this with the best of intentions, but the simple fact that you lack a suitable, pre-existing portfolio of content should be a urgent red flag that you lack adequate experience to be instructing students at a University level in that field.

Despite having the best of intentions, an under-qualified high-level educator bears a high risk of causing harm to their students. DrStrik9, I understand your position regarding encouragement, but I believe that potential harm outweighs all other considerations in this situation.

Very well put. Agreed. I think examining the Wikipedia articles I referenced, trying to animate the 12 BASIC principles, and coming up to speed on live action integration will be an eye opener as to what's really involved with doing animation professionally, or teaching it.

mTp

Farhad_azer
11-08-2015, 03:14 AM
Please let me answer to some questions and clarify a little more.

I understand why some of you are negative about this situation and it is my fault by not saying more details.

The thing is there are lots of things in my favour. to promethuse: they are not after a talented artist. it is more aimed at technical stuffs which is my specialty, I also am a great teacher (not to sound cocky, don't get me wrong) and I feel I can teach difficult topics to even an illiterate person, it is not sth to be proud of as I have this ability since childhood,

More importantly I have not lied to them, since our first meetings I honestly told that I will concentrate on technical regards. their reaction was very positive. I also impressed the Maya user a lot.

I am very good at Fusion, have lots of model and semi-ready materials to put together in remaining days, and more importantly HUGE confidence in myself (wow).

I haven't had time to read last 4 responses so I am going to continue on later post.

Farhad_azer
11-08-2015, 03:28 AM
besides mTp's excellent advice (come to it later) I wanted to thank Drstrik in his trust and help,
the sibl you mentioned is a great thing and will help me a lot, plz give me some hint and small instruction if possible, sorry I should investigate first and then ask but I am a little pressed for time now. would you plz tell me in the framework of first download this then copy that then hit this or that ?

Edit: No need , I figured that out. works awesome. still any more tricks will be appreciated regarding its general pipeline.

prometheus
11-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Please let me answer to some questions and clarify a little more.

I understand why some of you are negative about this situation and it is my fault by not saying more details.

The thing is there are lots of things in my favour. to promethuse: they are not after a talented artist. it is more aimed at technical stuffs which is my specialty, I also am a great teacher (not to sound cocky, don't get me wrong) and I feel I can teach difficult topics to even an illiterate person, it is not sth to be proud of as I have this ability since childhood,

Itīs not negative in terms of taking in account what options you got, thatīs why I also said this..
"
if it is a university more aimed at visualize processes, construction etc, dynamics & physics?..you might have a shot at it."

And as you now more clearly described...it may be that you indeed have a chance to perform for them.

good luck.

Farhad_azer
11-10-2015, 09:19 AM
You guys, things are going very well until this point unless sth bad happens (god forbid).

My good friend mTp, your idea is a great one and I honestly wanted to put it on top of my list, right now I think it is a little late, maybe I can ask them to give me more time on this particular direction so that I can show those 12 principles in action.

One work is almost ready, it is a CG on live background, I am going to take it to fusion for final post processing.

Tomorrow I am going to finish another scene (also CG model over real world BG),

Later I will work on PFX which I am very good at.

sIBL is not going very well, any help or tricks will be appreciated,

Thanks god my stress is decreased greatly. I am sure you will not leave me alone.

prometheus
11-11-2015, 01:01 AM
You guys, things are going very well until this point unless sth bad happens (god forbid).

My good friend mTp, your idea is a great one and I honestly wanted to put it on top of my list, right now I think it is a little late, maybe I can ask them to give me more time on this particular direction so that I can show those 12 principles in action.

One work is almost ready, it is a CG on live background, I am going to take it to fusion for final post processing.

Tomorrow I am going to finish another scene (also CG model over real world BG),

Later I will work on PFX which I am very good at.

sIBL is not going very well, any help or tricks will be appreciated,

Thanks god my stress is decreased greatly. I am sure you will not leave me alone.

great:thumbsup:
Stay focused on what you do right now, and put your energy in to it..avoid distractions.
Sleep well ..and get fresh air, and plan ahead.

good luck.

Luc_Feri
11-11-2015, 07:08 AM
Best of luck Farhad.

I'm sure if you don't land the job you will have pushed yourself further down the road as an artist to get the next one. You will have improved every time you aim high and if you keep repeating that then your standard will become better in the long run.

You were right to pick me up for being negative in the other thread. Behind all that negativity, it was actually about integrity and I am an honest person and detest anyone who lies or tries to mislead others.

I think I have got back more on a positive these last few days, I need to be the better man. :D

Farhad_azer
11-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Enthusiast and supportive as always Michael, thank you very much, don't forget to bring new ideas and hints dear Prometheus,

My good friend Luc, I hope I did not insult you that day, it was totally obvious you said those comments out of your love and care for our community, I am going to talk to you about issues and possibly some team work together ASAP, please stay strong and positive,

Things are going very well, I just wanted to ask our friend odeo to give a hint on using instance, it is a great feature and I have done my best to master important parts of it, unfortunately I don't have anything in my mind, any scenario or video sample?

Luc_Feri
11-11-2015, 12:51 PM
Cool Farhad!!

No I took no offence at all with what you said. I'm an honest person, so I listened to what you said and I had to admit it went against the good vibe I had tried to create on the forums from myself to others so it made me think you were correct.

Some of my frustrations were born from being owed money from freelancing too, monies owed from several months ago. I have now had a large chunk of that money paid but I'm still owed the other 60% of it yet and it is not small change either.

Keep the faith!!