PDA

View Full Version : Creating slowmotion with realtime animation

Travelling Matt
11-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Im animating a character at a standard PAL 25fps but I want to create a slowmotion effect as though it was shot at 96fps.

I read somewhere that I just change the frame step number but this doesnt seem to work.

I addition I have a cloth simulation on it too add I need that to work as slow mo in the same way. This is also why I cant just animate the character in slowmotion to begin with.

Any suggestions for how I could get the overcranked/slowmotion effect and have the cloth follow along?

Thanks

(I am using Lightwave 8.5!!)

meshpig
11-05-2015, 10:04 PM
You're talking about shutter speed not frame rate. You could try rendering at 60 fps and playing it back in post at 12?

DrStrik9
11-06-2015, 01:01 AM
FX Frame-Rate Flexibility

I don't know about ClothFX, but with Bullet FX, once you get bullet cache saved, you can change Layout’s frame-rate like to 10x its normal frame-rate, (extending the animation length accordingly), and bullet cache lets you do this and then use what turns out to be super-hi-res (parametric?) Dynamics Cache, to render super-smooth slow-motion versions of your bullet sim! :+)

On page 845 of the LW 2015.3 docs pdf, there is a short discussion on how to use bullet with FiberFX, but no mention of ClothFX. I wonder if you could try similar things with ClothFX to let bullet do the work ... ?

--

Edit: Oh crap. I just re-read that you're using LW 8.5. -- So nevermind. :-(

Travelling Matt
11-06-2015, 01:09 AM
Many thanks to both of you for replying fellas.
I think I found a method that works which incorporates a little of both your suggestions. I set my scene fps to 96fps and turned off 'play at exact rate'. This gave me the slomo effect and the cloth sim went along with it. It seems that once the cloth sim has been calculated, I can can change the fps to whatever I like and the cloth will go along with it without the need to recalculate.
I've done a quick test of the renders and they seem to work over in After Effects in a 25fps comp. Still need some additional testing but looks good so far....

Cheers