PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and topmod-wireframe trussing cool structures...

prometheus
11-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Had a go at the free topmod again, doing basic shapes in lightwave twist them in lightwave, then perform som remeshing and wireframe rinding in top mod.
honeycomb is a nice remeshing option in topmod that changes the topology flow of the object, and when you remesh to wireframe the structure can be very nice.
I then further refine with sabin or catmull clark remeshing in topmod.

export from lightwave to obj format, avoid double sided geometry, 10 meter might be a good starting point for the scale of the object for topmod to recognize properly.
when finished in topmod, donīt use export obj, use the save obj option.

topmod is a bit unstable though..and you have to be careful on what you use, and itīs a bit slow when remeshing.

BASIC SHAPE TWISTED A BIT IN LIGHTWAVE...

AFTER PROCESSING IN TOPMOD..

UPCLOSE DETAIL.....

SUBPATCHED...

Hope it will give you folks some ideas on creating interesting weird structures with these two programs combined.

daforum
11-05-2015, 12:42 PM
Looking good prometheus :thumbsup:

shenhua
11-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Cool stuff. Thanks for letting people like me know about Topmod! It's a pretty cool small free portable software.

I found this very basic tutorial to be helpful too (voice level and the wallpaper suck tho xD)

now I kinda worry... which tool was it in Lightwave that would let you connect polygons extruding over a curve like that in lightwave? I think I saw this in old LW tutorials but since I usually don't model things like that I actually forgot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj4_-vg31LE

I saw some beautifully done fractal shapes on deviant art too.
http://pre06.deviantart.net/b411/th/pre/f/2012/164/4/0/topmod_by_deviantvicky-d53b4b3.jpg

As for the wireframe thing I feel this would be reaaaaallly cool and useful in some extreme zooms like you know you have a piece of a fabric, liek a bed sheet... and you want to go total zoom to the molecular level to show up some microbes in it ^__^

jeric_synergy
11-05-2015, 01:47 PM
Looks interesting (based on post) but it seems it added a bunch of volume-- was that expected?

prometheus
11-05-2015, 02:25 PM
Looking good prometheus :thumbsup:

You aint seen nothin yet :)

Cool stuff. Thanks for letting people like me know about Topmod! It's a pretty cool small free portable software.

I found this very basic tutorial to be helpful too (voice level and the wallpaper suck tho xD)

now I kinda worry... which tool was it in Lightwave that would let you connect polygons extruding over a curve like that in lightwave? I think I saw this in old LW tutorials but since I usually don't model things like that I actually forgot...

probably...
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/bezier-bridge/

Looks interesting (based on post) but it seems it added a bunch of volume-- was that expected?

I donīt see a bunch of volume, you probably mean a bunch of trussing honeycombs? instead of the straight connections?
and yes..that is intentional, the twisted shape would other wise just be the twist and the connections..wouldnīt be as nice...if you simply use remesh with wireframe, that is all you would get without the other bunch of "volume" ..but less interesting.

I will showcase more later tonight.

prometheus
11-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Simple disc ..the rest is topmod remeshing...

some other samples...

shenhua
11-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the plugin link, Prometheus.

I love the shape in the pic no2 on your last post! The one with dark blue wire. Looks very exotic/alien.

prometheus
11-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the plugin link, Prometheus.

I love the shape in the pic no2 on your last post! The one with dark blue wire. Looks very exotic/alien.

Yes ..I liked it too, but the geometry isnīt properly clean in the connections, when you twist the object in lightwave and perform directly wireframe rind remesh, it can become nasty...then I found out that it may require
the process step in topmo of -tools/object/make object smooth, at least for such object that is twisted.

Not sure I can replicate that object exactly, I will look in to it...good idea to have a notepad open and register exact steps when remeshing in topmod.

Greenlaw
11-05-2015, 04:08 PM
That's super cool prometheus!

Thanks for letting me know about this tool. Will have to check it out this weekend.

jeric_synergy
11-05-2015, 04:12 PM
By 'volume' I mean it looks like it changed a ribbon into a tube.

prometheus
11-05-2015, 04:22 PM
That's super cool prometheus!

Thanks for letting me know about this tool. Will have to check it out this weekend.

A warning though...topmod crashes a lot for me, I think that is why I never really boosted my work with it and havenīt taking it to another level..so at times it can be very annoying.
But the way you can wirframe truss simple geometry and remesh the topoflow is nice, and you can create very nice structures to print out :)

By 'volume' I mean it looks like it changed a ribbon into a tube.

Ah..that would be equal to the subdiv in facet mode VS metaform I reckon.
So if I were to just use the wireframe rind remesh, it will just create the wireframe and the geometry will still be hard/sharp angles, but I do remesh it with topmods different ways like sabin, or catmull clark or subdivision loop etc, that smooths out and rounds polygon similar to metaform and metaform plus in lightwave.

prometheus
11-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Right now I am having so many crashes..only takes a couple of minutes in betweens, so I am about to puke on it.

though I am experimenting heavy and testing all kinds of stuff that probably not is the right workflowm especially on imported objects.

I noticed topmod has a selection option similar to wings3d that I like, it is called select similar, I noticed that nothing happens when I select a special polygon and then use that select similar, you have to hold shift+s and click outside of the object for it to take effect.

prometheus
11-05-2015, 06:21 PM
hereīs a dodecahedron...this one is completly made in topmod, just imported to ligthwave and saved to lwo.

made it with the dodecahedron primitive in topmod, remeshed with pentagon preserving..preserving means it doesnīt alter the main shape, it divides all the faces in pentagon pattern, I did this twice with different scaling.
then performed wireframe, and finally remeshed with corner cutting, that sort of rounds the edges a bit..but not as much as sabin.

Check lwo model attached.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=130793&d=1446772779

johnliebler
11-05-2015, 07:31 PM
This looks really cool. Thanks for sharing your experiments!

prometheus
11-05-2015, 08:40 PM
This looks really cool. Thanks for sharing your experiments!

Great.

some warnings, donīt try to export flat objects from lightwave to topmod, it will import but performing commands is most likely to crash topmod.

some stuff is easier to model in lightwave for base shapes, and use topmod to add handles and remesh the topoflow with stuff like pentagon preserving, then performing wire trussing if you want that.

you just canīt add more than one primitive in topmod, so you have to use one primitive and cut it between if you wanīt two parts, so with lightwave you can create cubes next to eachother or other multi segmented objects, save as obj and import to topmod.
Recommended size maybe 10 meters so topmod displays it accuratly.

creating that typical eight form is quite easy by starting with one box in topmod and add handles, between two faces.
This fast tutorial is so old that the interface is completely different now, and he uses shortcuts..so it might be a bit tricky to follow...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tgZE6c-WhM

I recommend take not of this, in topmod...go to window and activate remeshing tools, so you have them all at the right side of the interface, unfortunatly..for me the interface settings are not saved once closed, so I have to activate remeshing tools each time, they are of course accessable in the top menu under remeshing, that is the same..and you can hit space bar and type in the commands too, but I prefer having them directly acessable to the right.

also keep in mind the "o" shortcut, that brings up the settings for each tool and is needed to enter for remeshing, or use ctrl+r

prometheus
11-05-2015, 08:51 PM
Noteable..
Topmod hasnīt been updated for 8 years, pity..it could be super uber duber awesome with stuff I would like to see, and it wouldnīt be impossible to implement it :)

four simple cubes in lightwave

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=130795&d=1446782023

remeshed with honeycomb once, then added handles, then remeshed with sabine, added more handles on smaller faces which gives smaller thinner connection handles.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=130794&d=1446781957

bridge tool in lightwave nativly can not perform such handle connections, the bezier bridge can, but will not give as accurate twisting and weight..you need to manually fix that, a plus for bezier bridge though... it has tension control which handles, topmod handles do not.
But in topmod you can fluently consequently click on faces with the tool always active..that you canīt in lightwave and bezier bridge.

prometheus
11-05-2015, 09:12 PM
and her you can see it a bit in action..but itīs only me using the redo button here..so no actual command performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIeydN_eueY

BokadCastle
11-05-2015, 09:56 PM
Had a go at the free topmod again, doing basic shapes in lightwave twist them in lightwave,

Thank you so much for this thread. It's exactly what I've been looking for - a connection with lightwave of buildable free-forms.

prometheus
11-05-2015, 10:17 PM
Thank you so much for this thread. It's exactly what I've been looking for - a connection with lightwave of buildable free-forms.

your welcome..

hereīs another clip...same model as previous clip..
just showcasing in a reverse process of selecting with nth pattern and edges..select edge ring, and smooth shifting in lightwave..by undoing some steps in lightwave..then redoing...so you canīt actually see the selecting process or multishifting, but I hope you get an idea.
some weird detailing here :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrjvBWPGb8g

probiner
11-06-2015, 04:07 AM
Yup, its cool.http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?124861-Topmod-(Free-3D-app)&p=1215290&viewfull=1#post1215290
I like it offers quite the number of tesselation methods!
The truss and hlgh genus modeling are nice.

shenhua
11-07-2015, 01:11 AM
Hey Prometheus. Have you ever tried Wings 3D? If so, how would that one compare with TopMod in your opinion? I keep having Wings 3D popping up now and then and I checked their website... interface kinda reminds me of Topmod...

prometheus
11-07-2015, 02:16 PM
Hey Prometheus. Have you ever tried Wings 3D? If so, how would that one compare with TopMod in your opinion? I keep having Wings 3D popping up now and then and I checked their website... interface kinda reminds me of Topmod...

yes..some time ago..I have wings3d installed, reminds me to pick it up a bit again, I want to showcase itīs excellent selection options, may be able to record it and put it on youtube...but itīs a true modeler Unlike topmod which is more of remeshing and connecting handles ..canīt really compare unless doing similar actions and tasks..which I havenīt really...what I do know though..both topmod and wings3d getīs very slow when adding additional geometry when subdividing..you might complain over lightwaves mesh handling compared to cinema4d etc...but it is way better to deal with subdivision amount in lightwave compared to how topmod and wings handles it.
would like to have something like topmod as a plugin for lightwave, and lightwave to steal the way wings3d handles selections of edges and polys and using extract shell, and the select similar option that both topmod and wings have, then it would be enough to work in Lightwave only really.

Michael.

Snosrap
11-09-2015, 06:43 PM
Can anything be done about the clipping in TopMod? A "FitAll" button? :)

prometheus
11-09-2015, 08:58 PM
Can anything be done about the clipping in TopMod? A "FitAll" button? :)

fitall? that is not what you want, you could hit f to center object..but go to preferences, main tab and change the near plane down to zero..that should remove the clipping.
and as mentioned before, I think modeling in size of 10 meters in lighwave to get a similar scale to standard topmod objects when exported to obj and then imported to topmod.

Snosrap
11-09-2015, 09:15 PM
fitall? that is not what you want, you could hit f to center object..but go to preferences, main tab and change the near plane down to zero..that should remove the clipping.
and as mentioned before, I think modeling in size of 10 meters in lighwave to get a similar scale to standard topmod objects when exported to obj and then imported to topmod.

Thanks prometheus!

prometheus
11-09-2015, 10:47 PM
Thanks prometheus!

I have to say that I have so many crashes with topmod that I am dropping it for a while and going back to lightwave, exploring ways of bridging segments with bezier bridge and selecting edgeloops and multi edgeloops on those bridges with the help of the select ring command, chamfering edges and switch to poly mode for multishifting gives interesting ribbon or boney shape effects without too much effort since you can perform it on all loops at once.
Reckon I will only resort to it when needing the wireframe trussing ..or some topology pattern on some object to be remeshed.

also switching to testing wings3d a bit more again, it has some edge selection behavior and beveling that is superior that of lightwave, you donīt have to ctrl click to select additional edges, you just click on those edges you want to add to the selection, and if you want to deselect them..just click on them again..so it has some selection memory and workflow that is nice rather than having to use shiftclick to add, then another ctrl button to deselect the edge.
Ivé just noticed in wings that I can hold down the L for loop, and click on the edge ..and it automaticly selects the edge loop, so holding the L button and continue to click on whatever edge I need..it will auto select the loop in one go..and the next and the next etc...in lightwave you could
hold the arrow key in and click on the edge in order for it to select the loop upon clicking on the edge..but you can not continue to click on other edges in one go like in wings.

the hovering highlight of edges without having to select it is also nice, as well as hovering over polyfaces with full poly highlight instead of the edges only ,...makes it easier to distinguish from edges.

jeric_synergy
11-09-2015, 11:01 PM
Glad you have the patience for this.

prometheus
11-09-2015, 11:06 PM

that is one of the attributes you really should have if fiddling with 3d is your game.

I would like to showcase some selection differences with wings, and some bridging and selection techniques in lighwave..by recording..but not sure if I should do it without sound...just got to get me a mic someday, it somehow eludes me all the time to do so.

prometheus
11-09-2015, 11:15 PM
bridging and ribbing all in lightwave...

just a simple box with a few divisions selecting top poly and bottom poly ..but the bottom poly is selected on the next side of the box..this gives a nice twist when using bezier bridge...continue selecting the same way on the top polys and doing bridge with the same setting..if performed right the settings are kept for each bridge.

after that..some metaform, and selecting edge/edgeloop...that will only select one loop..but using select ring will select all the edge loop needed for ribboning, then I chamfer the edges ..then convert the edges to poly selection and then multishift it....some minor adjustment with point normal move depending on how thick I want the bridge and the ribboning.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=130869&d=1447135918

jeric_synergy
11-10-2015, 12:21 AM
Like to see the Selection process.

Interesting on this how the "Make Pole>>Merge TrigonX" procedure doesn't do anything useful.

spherical
11-10-2015, 12:50 AM

Patience is only required when you're not enjoying what you're doing. :)

prometheus
11-10-2015, 01:52 AM
Like to see the Selection process.

Interesting on this how the "Make Pole>>Merge TrigonX" procedure doesn't do anything useful.

will see if I can record it later..I am getting a bit numb and messy in the head now..so I need to sleep some hours first and start fresh...will try and showcase the selection and chamfer and smooth shifting..might
even record the bridging too.

make pole merge trigons? havenīt used that at all here...so we canīt say anything about itīs usefulness here, there are some places I could fix that on this shape..but not an absolute neccesary thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Patience is only required when you're not enjoying what you're doing. :)

that is indeed one wise way to look at it, it may be a bit of a pain going through the process..so not that enjoyable at that moment..but rewards can be found when having patience..and knowing that makes it enjoyable in the end.

prometheus
11-10-2015, 01:57 AM
Oh...I didnīt see that it was your image and model Jeric.
I can see you are only beveling polys, as opposed to me...I am using edge loops and chamfering, then turning the result to poly selection and then smooth shifting.
so I donīt get the pinching effect on my ribbon bulged parts on the bridged segments.

prometheus
11-10-2015, 04:19 AM
So jeric..you can see the selection process probably in this clip, it was made to showcase a bug however...this donīt seem to work in 2015..it doesnīt convert the edge selection to a poly selection when I perform this action..what you see in the clip is however made in 11.6.2 ..so it is working there and in the clip.

Now this was made on a simple toroid, when I did it on the bridged segments, the process is the same..except for I have to use loop contract to make excessive loop selections outside of the bridged segments go away...itīs not working ideally all the time.. It depends on the bridged segment.

I created a special thread for it..since it seems to be bug related in 2015, you got text description as well as a clip showcasing it..but no sound.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?148773-Convert-edge-selection-to-poly-selection-Bug-in-2015

probiner
11-10-2015, 04:21 AM
bridging and ribbing all in lightwave...

just a simple box with a few divisions selecting top poly and bottom poly ..but the bottom poly is selected on the next side of the box..this gives a nice twist when using bezier bridge...continue selecting the same way on the top polys and doing bridge with the same setting..if performed right the settings are kept for each bridge.

after that..some metaform, and selecting edge/edgeloop...that will only select one loop..but using select ring will select all the edge loop needed for ribboning, then I chamfer the edges ..then convert the edges to poly selection and then multishift it....some minor adjustment with point normal move depending on how thick I want the bridge and the ribboning.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=130869&d=1447135918

I like the Modo UI color scheme :D
Model looks H.R.Giger'ish, eh!

prometheus
11-10-2015, 06:03 AM
I like the Modo UI color scheme :D
Model looks H.R.Giger'ish, eh!

that is 100% correct, always been a fan of giger boney stuff..especially how the ribboning is followed by a ridge peak over it, I had some extra bridgings connecting these four simpler ones..and that looked cool too..not shown here though.
Using bezier bridge is almost a must, and learning how to select edge loops as simple as possible, and chamfering and smoth shifting, and also use point normal move to adjust thickness wher needed.
the great thing is that it doesnīt take long to do these simple structures..if you find a good selecting workflow and get to use bezier bridge properly set up.

and yes..the modo style, it is based on one of the modo syles that comes in the color UI tool..but I have changed it just a little bit..it is posted here..

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?148759-UI-color-changes-if-you-can-t-get-the-HUB-to-run/page2

jeric_synergy
11-10-2015, 09:29 AM
I just happened to use Bevel for some of my shapes. I also used Extend+PNMove.

The selection that interests me is the "vertebrae sections"-- how did you get those (easily)? Long ridges are simple, but the chunky bits seem tricky.

jeric_synergy
11-10-2015, 07:40 PM
Prom, the "Make Pole/Merge TrigonX" procedure makes selections like these easy:

Here's the object. 130908
I'm still wondering how you got the 'vertebrae'.

JoePoe
11-10-2015, 08:55 PM

Those selections look like they could be "select loops"... no?
Unless maybe you're talking about getting the diagonal edges in the first place??
Interested 'cuz I've been getting a similar result lately using Spin Edges en masse.

Vertebrae (I believe)= select an edge loop > select ring > chamfer > switch to polys (if you are in 11.6) ... shift out however you want.

jeric_synergy
11-10-2015, 11:27 PM
Unless maybe you're talking about getting the diagonal edges in the first place??
Yes: this is very much related to the "duplicate this 3d printed bracelet" thread recently.

Taking a Prom-style Bezier Bridges object and giving it the same treatment the torus got before (wasn't that you?). My first couple attempts just made a subd hash of the object, but today it behaved. And of course once you've done that, you get these interesting spiraling Selections when using SELECT LOOP. I think the square intersection on top mucks it up a bit-- it's very dependent on which two polys you start the selection with.

Definately makes me wish for a faster, auto-naming POLY SELECTION SET feature, one with history. (Slap a button, a new poly set is created, scrolls up a window of them, autonames 'em {mostly numeric, the history is the big thing}.)

+++++

Huh, you know, with this object (above) I'm having trouble SELECT RINGing the sideways bits on the arms... I can select the long Loops no problem, but the short transverse Edges not so much.... :stumped:...

prometheus
11-10-2015, 11:33 PM

interesting topoflow...if you run that in topmod with wiretrussing..it might look cool, but you would have to metaform freeze it first since topmod donīt handle subpatches..and using metaform would add addition topology so the outcome would maybe be different.

Interested 'cuz I've been getting a similar result lately using Spin Edges en masse.

Vertebrae (I believe)= select an edge loop > select ring > chamfer > switch to polys (if you are in 11.6) ... shift out however you want.

Vertebrae ...well..and as jeric wondered about, nothing to it...I just use edge loops in circular pattern perpendicular towards the lenght of the bridged segment, , chamfer the Edges all loops at the same time..drop the tool but it keeps edge selection..then I go to convert to poly selection then smooth shift, and some adjusments with point normal move..that helps bulging out or thing the bulge, I also used edge loop that runs parallell with the bridge and use point move on that too, it affects the other circular looped bulges too.
Guess I will have to record the whole damn thing :) text description might not cut it, and I migh have missed a process description too.

to work like this though...it seems lw 2015 is out of the question for the moment, will have to use 11.6.2-3 because in 2015 the chamfer tool looses itīs selection, and that means this working process will not work, you would have to individually select each chamfered selection for every circle bulged loop..and that sort of patience I donīt have.
Not sure if that change was intentional or if it is a bug...I may need to report it.

Merge trigons is nice...when I used metagedges or metaball to create main structure..then freeze..reduce polys, merge trigons, then use metaform plus, it can yield very interesting topoflow...and from those you can get selections and smooth shift out or send to topmod for wifreframe trussing.

In my case for the shape Ivé been showing...I am not using any fix pole or merge trigons though...I wanīt clean quad geometry if possible.

prometheus
11-11-2015, 11:55 AM
using triangulate on a mesh and metaform ..that will yield some nice topo patterns.

try this..In lightwave.
1. create a cube (box) 10m x 10m x 10m (scaling is to fit in topmod properly, and by default the wireframe rinding meshing is 0.250 so ..when meshing with that, it will look ok from start, if you were to use a few cm object, you would have to adjust wireframe unecessary..so that is the quickest workflow.
2. metaform it once.
3. shift t for triple.
4. metaform it once again...you now have an interesting pattern running..you could try again one more time with metaform to get even more patterns in there.

export to topmod and run wireframe rinding...that will give a nice trussing wire modeling, sharp edges of course...you could remesh with do sabin, or skip that in topmod and instead metaform smooth it in lightwave.

you could of course select pattern parts in lightwave...but that is a bit tedious to manually select, in wings3d you got select similar which would be easier to check some patterns and it will select similar and that would be faster, and then just use intrude to create thickness, then subdivide to smooth it.

so there is some options to either use lightwave alone, or use topmod or wings to also do the cut out wireframe truss...an end note...I really like wings more and more, might show more pictures tomorrow..perhaps a recording too.

cheers.

prometheus
11-11-2015, 12:13 PM
I have missed that you posted your object...So with your object..
just fiddling with selections, quite easy..a few edges selected, not loops first..just one edge, then select ring, then one edge more, and select ring again, then select loop on those..chamfer, drop the tool, convert to poly selection, smooth shift a bit, then use point normal move to adjust the twisting bulge thickness.

I call it..The jeric twist :) some artifacts here and there, would need to correct mesh a bit first before doing the process..but I just played here first.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=130915&d=1447269164

JoePoe
11-13-2015, 02:38 PM
How about our beloved PX Bezier!

Even more control of twists and such...

jeric_synergy
11-13-2015, 06:33 PM
Meh, no points. Too messy.

prometheus
11-13-2015, 08:10 PM

well in some cases..but not ideal for this kind of modeling approach..Iīm a big fan of the px_bezier tool, and if it had the option of a"bridge" mode with the rest of the others, it would be awesome..but currently bezier bridge is the better one to create bridges, bezier would require you to work very differently since you canīt bridge elements...so itīs more of a creating the structure within the capabilities of how px_bezier works, and not based upon another form, it doesnīt rule out creating cool shapes ..as you showed a bit here...but for me I prefer using another workflow.

super awesome if we could have a bridge(with bezier) tool working with multi selected polygons, bezier bridge only works with two selected, standard bridge works with multi selections but no bridge, they should also improve standard bridge so it doesnt matter in wich order you pick the muti selected polygons when doing the final bride, that would be sweet...we could simple if creating a box for instance with a few divisions..mirror copy, then select the facing polys on one part, then the next part, run nth pattern and have step selections, then run bridge and it would all work, as it is now you can select a row of polys on one object and pick another and do the same, and it would work to bridge them..but that is useless if there isnīt any spacing in between..it would just be to connect the parts with divisions...so a bridge tool that doesnīt need that order would be sweet.

improvement on selecting ring and loop expand and contract or ring expand contract and also a chamfer tool on edges that like wings3d turns the chamfered selection to poly selection at once, that would be awesome in workflow, just as wings3d extrude extract.

prometheus
11-13-2015, 08:39 PM
Just watched victors LWCAD5 demonstration...I have mentioned a feature where we can for instance double click or ctrl click to retreive edge loop selections in one go, it seems victor has that in lwcad5, if it has been there before? I donīt know.
that edgeloop selection with ctrl click, it may only be available for nurbs though, not sure about that.

around 2:36 in the clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2fnRoX6XLU

jeric_synergy
11-14-2015, 01:11 PM
Did Topmod ever make it into a commercial product?

prometheus
11-14-2015, 07:47 PM
Did Topmod ever make it into a commercial product?

Donīt think so..where is it now? itīs still free on the same page and no reference what so ever to anything else...for several years, I would say..resort to topmod for some remeshing and wireframe stuff, but do base structures in lightwave ..and get wings3d and give that ago.
Unfortunatly I started this thread haven forgotten how often topmod crashes.

Check david brinnens tutorials with wings3d on youtube.

jeric_synergy
11-14-2015, 11:34 PM
I couldn't get Wings3d to play on my machine (W7).

prometheus
11-15-2015, 12:27 AM
I couldn't get Wings3d to play on my machine (W7).

works here on my windows 7, but that is 1.5.3 64 bit.
so It may be that there is some issues with the stable release 1.5.4

Thereīs also a Development Release 2.0.1 you could try that too.

And older and all releases are here...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wings/files/wings/

will have to test and get back to you..tomorrow perhaps, itīs coffin time now actually itīs 8 a clock in the morning, but I have gone heywire with my day-night rythm, so going to bed now is completly wrong most people here goes up at this hour.