PDA

View Full Version : preset bug

vonpietro
11-04-2015, 10:15 PM
anyone else getting this
lw 2015 - i click make a preset - result - instant critical error and crash.

jboudreau
11-05-2015, 08:08 AM
Can you be a little more specific? Steps etc.

Thanks,
Jason

OnlineRender
11-05-2015, 10:40 AM
anyone else getting this
lw 2015 - i click make a preset - result - instant critical error and crash.

how many nodes do you have active / connected ?

vonpietro
11-05-2015, 11:53 AM
it doesn't matter whats in the surface- click save preset in the surface panel box - and it crashes instantly.

OnlineRender
11-05-2015, 11:57 AM
it doesn't matter whats in the surface- click save preset in the surface panel box - and it crashes instantly.

your preset save location writable / ok ?

clearing you configs may help.

jwiede
11-05-2015, 12:12 PM

Not seeing it here in either Layout or Modeler (though not quite sure I'm doing exact same sequence). Yosemite latest, LW2015.3 UB64.

vonpietro
11-05-2015, 12:43 PM
hmm it could be a permission thing with windows trying to write in the cfg. i'll check and see whats going on with the cfg and make sure that area is not read only. stupid windows.

jeric_synergy
11-05-2015, 01:51 PM
your preset save location writable / ok ?

clearing you configs may help.
Except, it would still be a bug. The user shouldn't be ABLE to crash the app thru the app's interface.

spherical
11-05-2015, 03:12 PM
Presets are normally saved in your User directory. This is something I don't like, but have gotten used to; just going with the flow, as it were. So, unless you are redirecting presets to another location, that area should be writable, as that is where all of the config type stuff goes in the first place.

jeric_synergy
11-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Presets are normally saved in your User directory. This is something I don't like, but have gotten used to; just going with the flow, as it were. So, unless you are redirecting presets to another location, that area should be writable, as that is where all of the config type stuff goes in the first place.
When you say USER, you mean, like (struggling for words here), like "MyName/.newtek"? In my "{myname}/.NewTek/LightWave/2015.3/presets" folder, there's only one folder ("Vlight Editor"), IIRC there's often a slew of folders for Surfaces, Volumetric, etc....

FWIW, I'd want presets I generate to go to a universal folder so I could ALWAYS access them, no matter what project I was working on.

spherical
11-06-2015, 04:31 AM
When you say USER, you mean, like (struggling for words here), like "MyName/.newtek"?

Yes.

In my "{myname}/.NewTek/LightWave/2015.3/presets" folder, there's only one folder ("Vlight Editor"), IIRC there's often a slew of folders for Surfaces, Volumetric, etc....

The "slew" are the ones that LightWave installs and get overwritten with a reinstall. They are under the /Support directory in the LightWave installed tree. These show up in the Presets panel as "Built In" and are locked.

FWIW, I'd want presets I generate to go to a universal folder so I could ALWAYS access them, no matter what project I was working on.

The ones in the /User directory appear as a second Workspace and are universal and accessible in all projects; same as the Built In ones. It is a user-specific set, not a project/content directory/scene-specific set. That you may be the only user makes it pretty redundant to have user-specific sets, but that's the way they set it up. I used to move my presets from the /User tree, but that got to be a pain in the butt.