PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Objects In Subpatch

Columbo24
11-04-2015, 10:13 AM
I'm modeling a camcorder and having some problems.
1.When recessing geometry in subpatch(like a circle with sharp edges recessed for a button), how do I add this type of geometry. The only way I do it now is freeze the model, then stencil the shapes onto it and multi shift the detail to it. I can do the rectangular in sub patch, but when they have edges with edges it starts getting wonky. Exact circles in sub patch give me fits. I'm going crazy trying to align all the polygons before hand for all the buttons on the camcorder. Is there any tips for doing this?
2.What do you do if a bunch of sub patch polygons in your model are beyond repair and you want to delete them only and start over. For example, you bevelled four polygons that you make into an arm on a body. You decide to get rid of the arm. You're left with an open space. If you select the points and hit P you get one polygon that screws up your sub patch. How can I get the four original polygons back? Add points to make the polygons?
3.The lens cover which is rectangular smoothly transitions into the circular lens. In sub patch how can I transition from the rectangular shape to the circular one. Basically can I attach an extruded rectangle to an extruded disc in sub patch so the transition is smooth?
I appreciate any help.
Bill

jeric_synergy
11-04-2015, 10:21 AM
http://lightwiki.com/wiki/Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling

prometheus
11-04-2015, 05:11 PM
I would recomend avoid subpatches for this kind of model, or mix subpatch with non subpatch.

for getting hard edges in subpatch you would need additional edgeloops were the parts are supposed to be harder/sharper, for that you can select a loop or polygons and hit l for connect, which will divide the polys, do it again and you got one more..or
use the knife tool, bandsaw.

detail tab and edit edges is also good to use, right klick to insert edge and move with left mouse button, get to lear the edit edges tool on basic shapes first.

you can also select edges or polygons and use weighting for controlling the sharpness in a subpatch..different ways depening on if you use standard subpatch or cc subpatch..but I wouldn´t recommend it for this model.
I would carefully model it without subpatches.

pinkmouse
11-05-2015, 02:37 AM
Don't try and build it as just one object. That's just pointless willy waving. Construct it as it is in reality, made up of different parts that fit together. That way you can add and remove detail where required without mucking up the rest of the construction.

prometheus
11-05-2015, 07:28 AM
Don't try and build it as just one object. That's just pointless willy waving. Construct it as it is in reality, made up of different parts that fit together. That way you can add and remove detail where required without mucking up the rest of the construction.

That is also what I would suggest, I did a little vague reference when hinting on mixing subdiv patches with non subdiv.

prometheus
11-05-2015, 11:45 AM
This might be of interest too...concerning subpatches, by Treybor who made the wonderful free space jockey model on foundation3d.

http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3445

jeric_synergy
11-05-2015, 01:21 PM
One pitfall might be is, I bet a LOT of people use G-TOGGLE SUBPATCH in their modeling, and going back to SET SUBPATCH would be confusing and painful (metaphorically).

IIRC I already asked for this feature request, but other people requesting it wouldn't hurt: a TAG (that's a thing, right?) that makes polys as UN-SUBPATCH-ABLE.

Like making points UN-MERGE-ABLE*, this could really prevent users from shooting themselves in the foot while modeling (although merging points is more disastrous).

(In case people are wondering: SET SUBPATCH only subpatches selected polys. G-TOGGLE subpatches all polys, selected or not.)

If you're mixing subpatched assemblies with poly assemblies, being able to lock polys as Polys would be very convenient. It's possible there's already some LW entity (weight maps, sketch colors, whatev) that could be used to implement this particular feature. Like "designate PURPLE as unsubpatchable". Then a knock-off off G-TOGGLE could just check the Sketch Color and decide whether or not to subpatch that poly.

If you like this idea, go request it on your account page, same process as bug reports but check the FEATURE REQUEST box.

*by moving points apart in an endomorph.
++++++++
EDIT: ooo, ooo, using Sketch Color would also give users a visual indication as to why things weren't getting subpatched.

prometheus
11-05-2015, 09:44 PM
One pitfall might be is, I bet a LOT of people use G-TOGGLE SUBPATCH in their modeling, and going back to SET SUBPATCH would be confusing and painful (metaphorically).

IIRC I already asked for this feature request, but other people requesting it wouldn't hurt: a TAG (that's a thing, right?) that makes polys as UN-SUBPATCH-ABLE.

Like making points UN-MERGE-ABLE*, this could really prevent users from shooting themselves in the foot while modeling (although merging points is more disastrous).

(In case people are wondering: SET SUBPATCH only subpatches selected polys. G-TOGGLE subpatches all polys, selected or not.)

If you're mixing subpatched assemblies with poly assemblies, being able to lock polys as Polys would be very convenient. It's possible there's already some LW entity (weight maps, sketch colors, whatev) that could be used to implement this particular feature. Like "designate PURPLE as unsubpatchable". Then a knock-off off G-TOGGLE could just check the Sketch Color and decide whether or not to subpatch that poly.

If you like this idea, go request it on your account page, same process as bug reports but check the FEATURE REQUEST box.

*by moving points apart in an endomorph.
++++++++
EDIT: ooo, ooo, using Sketch Color would also give users a visual indication as to why things weren't getting subpatched.

well yeah...by using sharpness in weight map..you are in principle telling it to be non subpatched at 100% sharpness ..so that feature is already there...