PDA

View Full Version : Do we have to have BLACK on the forum?

MartinCole
11-03-2015, 10:55 PM
Tis a well know and documented fact that the human eye does not take kindly to reading white text on black background. This is maybe why newspapers are not printed this way. How about and option to change the skin on this forum so that it can be read more easily?

Just a thought :-)

ernpchan
11-03-2015, 10:59 PM
You can change the forum skin all the way at the bottom. I have mine set to bp-brown.

MartinCole
11-03-2015, 10:59 PM
Whoops! Yeeesss I found a lighter skin..

jeric_synergy
11-03-2015, 11:49 PM
You can change the forum skin all the way at the bottom. I have mine set to bp-brown.
Same here: prefer white on dark.

I'm pretty sure newspapers are printed that way because otherwise the ink bill would be staggering.

MartinCole
11-04-2015, 12:13 AM
Well we all have preferences of course but are they valid if faced with the two choices on an unconscious level. I mean which is your sense of recognition drawn to 'naturally' ?
Here is an excellent example of this.

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/08/the-dos-and-donts-of-dark-web-design/

I have experimented with web design - layout - fonts - colours etc and from a marketing point of view I would keep WELL clear of white on back text. However, I am sure there are exceptions that would prove me wrong.

Life is like that... you have to 'bend' with the nuances of human foibles on a daily basis and hope that you have made good choices at the end of the day :-)

Mmmm maybe this forum is not that place for this, but then again nothing wrong with the lighter side of life. :-)

kopperdrake
11-04-2015, 04:45 AM
For those with slight visual impairment, a study (I can't remember the details - it was 20-odd years ago) light blue on black was best for contrast on a monitor, as opposed to the obvious white on black, which was deemed too much. I believe it may have been research carried out for NCR and their ATMs, but I could be wrong.

In fact, the forum's grey on black is pretty good. If you're slightly visually impaired.

Rocky5
11-04-2015, 06:08 AM
I prefer the BP-brown style that i have it set to. Easy to read, and nothing bright that will burn your eyes out.

spherical
11-04-2015, 01:36 PM
I use bp-brown as a base and further customize it to my liking by using FireFox userContent.css. Can be exactly as you want.

shrox
11-04-2015, 02:02 PM
Because black is modest and arrogant at the same time.

djwaterman
11-04-2015, 04:00 PM
"Black, is the expensive color." Tom Sachs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBM_9W_e_D4

gerry_g
11-04-2015, 04:59 PM
see this is why Americans have no colour sense, there's no *U* in their colour vocabulary :-)

shrox
11-04-2015, 05:12 PM
see this is why Americans have no colour sense, there's no *U* in their colour vocabulary :-)

Hue might be on to something.

pinkmouse
11-05-2015, 02:33 AM
Boom boom tish!

He's here all week folks!