PDA

View Full Version : smallest 3d printer

vonpietro
11-03-2015, 06:38 PM
Hey,

I found this and though about some of the 3d printer guys here.

Its a small kick-starting project for a tiny 3d printer - it has a very small form factor and is the first I've seen with a moving lower platform in addition to the head moving around (thats how it has a smaller form factor)- brilliant work!!!!

Baby 3D: The Palm-Sized 3D Printer
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/602473526/baby-3d-the-palm-sized-3d-printer

KurtF
11-03-2015, 08:35 PM
Good find. I'm sure it'll be useful for lots of folks.

11-04-2015, 10:08 AM
I don't see the point of it, outside of the novelty.

And for education, not above fourth grade as what it makes is "toy-like". I don't see them being able to send a kid home with a part that's not labelled a toy.

As well, for education, too many moving parts to break down.

Educational facilities are better off with full-sized machines with full-sized attitudes to go with it. At this price, better (experience for all) to build it.

Having just got 3d printers in the classroom, and recognizing the time factors involved in a print, a full-sized one would serve the classroom much more efficiently.

vonpietro
11-04-2015, 09:33 PM
i think its cool =)

but i see your point. I like that the bottom moves around on one axis and the top moves on another - pretty neat way of printing

all these new ways of making things are super - i used to work for a model maker doing architecture - and 3d printers beats the pants off how we used to make things ----- Jigs and lots and lots of sanding =)