PDA

View Full Version : Hide Lightprobe backdrop?

Revanto
11-03-2015, 04:32 AM
Hiya,

Dumb Question but I want to use a lightprobe image in 'Image World' but I don't want the image probe image to appear in the background. Does anyone know how to do that?

Also, just a bonus question. Without post processing, how do I blur reflections on an object using a B&W texture map so that part of the reflections are sharp and the other ones are blurred?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Revanto

Niko3D
11-03-2015, 04:52 AM
I know only the first question...
Import one SkyDome object...go to Object Properties > Render Tab and UNchecked everything but NO Unseen by Radiosity.
If want to see the reflection from the SkyDome (is nice) keep ON Unseen by Rays if not turn OFF.130741

Rocky5
11-03-2015, 05:28 AM
In answer to your first question:
If you're using 2015.3 then you can go to the Compositing menu, and choose (Ctrl F7) and then click Use Background Color. This will make the backdrop black, but you will still get the reflections from the light probe image in the Backdrop.
If you're using an older version, you may not have the Use Backdrop Color swatch, instead you can load a 1x1 pixel square of black (or whatever color you want) into the same location under Background Image.

In order to control your reflections, with the old-school texture editor it's not possible.
You need to go into the Nodal Editor and add your image map, and then plug it into the Reflection Blurring input of your material. You can use a procedural texture too!

Niko3D
11-03-2015, 05:54 AM
of course my solution is if you want the Sky directly in the render...so the Dome is just for the background...and the light is from Image World...
So...you can use Rocky5 solution and if you want the Sky put the SkyDome...;)

Revanto
11-03-2015, 06:10 AM
Using a black image as the background image worked! Thanks!

Now, there's just the reflection blurring issue to deal with....

Cheers,
Revanto

JoePoe
11-03-2015, 07:04 AM
Now, there's just the reflection blurring issue to deal with....

Continue on with Rocky's advice!
Adriaaaaaaaaaaan! :D

Granted.... this is from Rocky1.

Revanto
11-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Awesome! Just one quick question regarding reflection blurring... how do we get rid of the graininess?

Appreciate everything so far!!!

Cheers,
Revanto

madno
11-04-2015, 12:16 AM
In [Render Globals] (shift + P) -> [Render Tab] increase [Shading Samples] for getting better fast blurry reflections in VPR or render.

For final render also check in [Camera Tab]:
[Minimum Samples]
[Maximum Samples]
and the other settings in that part of the dialog.

Here is a video about those ones:

https://youtu.be/UgNB9tZWUmM

You can also search for "unified sampling" in google or LW's manual (good start in that one is page 136 - valid for LW 2015.3 manual).

Revanto
11-04-2015, 02:42 AM
Oh, I'm using LW 9.6. There don't seem to be any sampling options (or maybe I just can't find them).

Sorry about not mentioning that earlier.

Rev.

Rocky5
11-04-2015, 05:13 AM
In 9.6 I think the sampling may have been per material... I'm not sure. If you use the nodal editor, and plug a reflection shader into the RED reflection input of the node, then the reflection shader will have sampling options within it.

The best way is to turn on adaptive sampling in your camera, and then use a low-ish value like 0.01 in the sampling section. This should smooth out some of the noise

- - - Updated - - -

Continue on with Rocky's advice!
Adriaaaaaaaaaaan! :D

Granted.... this is from Rocky1.

Only just noticed with your image. LMFAO, nice setup with the Rocky picture in your reflection :D

Revanto
11-05-2015, 05:20 AM
I'll give that a try.

Thanks so much to all of you who gave me feedback and help! If worse comes to worse, I can always composite a blurred reflection layer in Photoshop or After Effects.

I've been away from this forum for too long but, to be honest, I've only been using Lightwave for modelling and basic rendering. I never upgraded beyond 9.6 because the upgrades were too expensive and I was disappointed with the fact that rather than fix some of the most basic of problems in Lightwave, Newtek decided just to add more fancy stuff and most of that was in Layout and not modeler. Not saying that the new fancy stuff is useless or anything. It's just that priorities should have been to fix the foundations, so to speak.

Anyway, once again, thanks to you all.

Regards and cheers,
Revanto

Rocky5
11-05-2015, 05:34 AM
They are fixing the foundations, but it takes time.

This is why SoftImage disappeared for 3 years, then came back as XSI.
Or 3ds Max has had its 'Excalibur' 5 year re-write plan (which is now in its 7th or 8th year with little improvement over the core).
Newtek are doing it right this time. Sorting out the groundwork, before giving us the new LW. This takes a huge amount of planning, effort and ultimately, time! Luckily, they're doing all of this groundwork, AND giving us updates with cool new features.
:)