PDA

View Full Version : Polygon selection as a solid instead of outline?

Schwyhart
11-02-2015, 06:50 PM
Is there a way to fill polygons when I select them instead of an outline? It can be really hard to determine which polygons are selected sometimes.

squarewulf
11-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Not that I know of. But what you could do to insure you've selected the correct polygons is hit "=" to isolate your selection. That will show you exactly which polygons are selected, then you can hit "\" to unhide your hidden geometry back to normal.

jeric_synergy
11-02-2015, 07:18 PM
If you're having trouble seeing things, you can change the default SKETCH color , and you can change the individual SKETCH color of any specific poly.

squarewulf
11-02-2015, 09:05 PM
Another thought; If you turn on "Show Normals" under DisplayOptions>Viewports, you will see a little handle sticking out of each selected polygon.

spherical
11-02-2015, 11:57 PM
Yes. I have no idea why Show Normals isn't on by default.

prometheus
11-03-2015, 10:50 AM
I really prefer having a full highlighted polygon instead of outline ..not only when selected..but als when hovering over the face, like when using tweak tool and other tools..they were on their way with core but lost track of it.
Prefer it just the way modo and wings have it, of course it should be optional in the display options so you can choose to your liking.
hope they can pull it off in the near future.

Michael

jwiede
11-03-2015, 12:58 PM
I really prefer having a full highlighted polygon instead of outline ..not only when selected..but als when hovering over the face, like when using tweak tool and other tools.

I tend to agreed, both for aesthetics, and efficiency reasons. Outlining poly selections creates ambiguity between poly and edge selection (at least momentarily), while full-poly highlighting of poly selections clearly differentiates them from edge selections.

Features like pre-highlighting selections, and interactive tools have greatly aided discoverability in other 3D apps, and I think Lightwave's initial discoverability really suffers from their absence as well (compared to most other 3D apps these days). There are interactive tools, but there are also quite a few which aren't, and so new users cannot really rely on interactivity to help them during the initial discovery process. Absence of ubiquitous hinting on tools' purposes also significantly hinders discoverability, something like on-hover status line tool descriptions and/or tool tips are sorely needed in Lightwave.

Features like purpose-hinting might be a bit time-consuming to add across the entire toolset, but the UX benefits' value gained from adding them greatly exceeds their cost.

prometheus
11-03-2015, 02:51 PM
I Outlining poly selections creates ambiguity between poly and edge selection (at least momentarily), while full-poly highlighting of poly selections clearly differentiates them from edge selections. adding them greatly exceeds their cost.

Exactly...I really like using wings in perspective of how it displays selections, it accentuates the selected area which clearly defines selected area, and it helps when you want feedback on the Area to be extruded or extracted or to differentiate from the other parts, instead of the ambiguity/similarity to outlined edges.

jwiede
11-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Yes. I have no idea why Show Normals isn't on by default.

It doesn't take that much in terms of curvature and/or poly density for the normal vectors to become more clutter and hindrance than aid -- at least, IME.

jeric_synergy
11-03-2015, 05:20 PM
+1 on full-poly highlighting: there's just too many cases where edge-only highlighting is very difficult to discern.

I did set my Edge Selection to the bright green option-- that seems to work rather well.

Oedo 808
11-03-2015, 05:30 PM
I can't say I've really had an issue with it the way it is, but so long as you can turn it off then obviously no problem. An instance where I would find it useful is when dealing with dense polygons, at times you can make a selection and miss out polygons where each adjacent polygon has been selected, but Modeler and dense meshes aren't a happy marriage anyway so maybe I might find this quite useful should polygon handling improve.

Schwyhart
11-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Tool tips for sure! And it'd be nice if I could have the option of clicking the tooltip and it sending me to the exact page in the PDF. BUT at least tool tips...either floating next to the tool or a command line interface at the bottom. This would greatly help me as a new-ish guy to LW.

- - - Updated - - -

An instance where I would find it useful is when dealing with dense polygons, at times you can make a selection and miss out polygons where each adjacent polygon has been selected

Exactly

Schwyhart
11-03-2015, 06:00 PM
On another note...is there a way to not see through the object? I mean I can see the selections on the back side of objects, which also makes it kinda hard to tell what is selected and what isn't.

jeric_synergy
11-03-2015, 06:05 PM
What viewing mode are you in?

prometheus
11-03-2015, 06:59 PM
Yep..use textured wire, not wireframe

Michael

prometheus
11-03-2015, 07:03 PM
On another note...is there a way to not see through the object? I mean I can see the selections on the back side of objects, which also makes it kinda hard to tell what is selected and what isn't.

Ehh..if you select both a backside and a front side..both selections will be visible, the backside a bit ghosted, no way around that, it actually is that way to help you see any unwanted selections.