PDA

View Full Version : Cutting polygon via image map?

squarewulf
11-02-2015, 04:02 PM
I need to model a jigsaw puzzle and I want to do it quickly. Is there a way I can slice a polygon using a black and white image like this one (http://coolblackppt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Empty-puzzle-stock-vector-michail-panagiotidis-6909976.jpg) or something similar?

Any ideas/suggestions?

ernpchan
11-02-2015, 04:11 PM
You could stack polygons and cuz them out via a clip map. It wouldn't generate actual geometry tho, it's a render time trick.

lertola2
11-02-2015, 04:29 PM
In Photoshop or Illustrator you could create vector outlines of your image and then save an EPS file which you can open in Modeler. Or you could use your image as a displacement map on a highly subdivided polygon and then save transformed to bring it into Modeler. Then you can cut the back off to make individual pieces.

erikals
11-02-2015, 04:54 PM
not a solution, just by the way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAXgxN0l13A

jeric_synergy
11-02-2015, 05:23 PM
In After Effects (before PShop, if PShop can even do it), there was a very nice AUTOTRACE facility, which you could export as EPS as Lertola says.

For a long time it was better than PShop in that respect. Haven't checked in decades.

squarewulf
11-02-2015, 05:27 PM
In Photoshop or Illustrator you could create vector outlines of your image and then save an EPS file which you can open in Modeler. Or you could use your image as a displacement map on a highly subdivided polygon and then save transformed to bring it into Modeler. Then you can cut the back off to make individual pieces.

In After Effects (before PShop, if PShop can even do it), there was a very nice AUTOTRACE facility, which you could export as EPS as Lertola says.

For a long time it was better than PShop in that respect. Haven't checked in decades.

I tried tracing a few puzzle images and it worked alright using vectormagic. Maybe i'll revisit that idea.

@ernpchan I cant use clipping masks, it needs to have depth. If all else fails I could make that work but it wouldnt look as pretty.

ernpchan
11-02-2015, 05:30 PM
@ernpchan I cant use clipping masks, it needs to have depth. If all else fails I could make that work but it wouldnt look as pretty.

It will if you stack enough polygons on top of themselves. I use this trick to 'extrude' animation.

squarewulf
11-02-2015, 05:42 PM

EPS worked great! Don't know why I didn't try that first. Thanks guys!

jeric_synergy
11-02-2015, 05:43 PM
I tried tracing a few puzzle images and it worked alright using vectormagic. Maybe i'll revisit that idea.
Here's an example using your test jpg: 130737

Route=

AE>Auto Trace
Select all masks
Copy
PSHOP-- Paste Special
Export PATHS as AI
Import in LWM

squarewulf
11-02-2015, 05:45 PM
It will if you stack enough polygons on top of themselves. I use this trick to 'extrude' animation.

Yeah i've fooled around with pancake voxels before (are they still called that?) for clouds and faking volumetrics. But in this particular case I need the object to rotate 360 degress, once its perpendicular to the camera you wouldnt see it.

jeric_synergy
11-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Then with a little DRILL magic:

squarewulf
11-02-2015, 06:26 PM
Then with a little DRILL magic:

If you invert your mask/eps than you won't have to use any boolean tools.

jeric_synergy
11-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Since I had no goal in mind...

prometheus
11-02-2015, 09:48 PM
If you got illustrator I would suggest using that, since it has superior control over tracing vectors in images.

another tip..using weightmap to paint on geometry for fracturing, use select vertex map value and copy those points selected based on weight map values, paste in to another layer and use as backround points to cut from, this isnīt as exact as using line art..but may be usuful in other situations.

Would be nice if the lightwave group could manage to implement fracture by weight map directly in modeler, and even more so awesome if they with the new upcoming mesh engine could enhance layout with weight paint directly in layout, then run fracture directly in layout based on that weightmap...speed and power in scene context baby..oh my.

Michael

jeric_synergy
11-02-2015, 10:05 PM
While fracturing is fun, I've never gotten paid to do it. TEXT tends to be what my customers want ::yawn::.

prometheus
11-02-2015, 10:12 PM
While fracturing is fun, I've never gotten paid to do it. TEXT tends to be what my customers want ::yawn::.

Only a few folks seem to get payed to destroy something, vfx wizards and the military :)

Itīs fun though...and I just realized you can use the textured point map and procedural textures..like honeycomb or whatever nice fractal pattern there is in the procedural textures..and use weight map selection and fracture based on those point patterns, so it is promising..but I have just started to look in to it.

Not fracture related, but weight map related, you can use the same selection method with textured point map and selecting points by that weight map to use for instancing stuff based on that pattern...you could of course just use weight density in the instancing tab, but being able to copy points and adjust might be useful in some situations.

probiner
11-02-2015, 10:17 PM
http://pweb.netcom.com/~ghartens/cookie.html
isolate pieces, by filling the surrounding ones, so you'll do it to 4 images so all the pieces are isolated.

jeric_synergy
11-02-2015, 10:28 PM
http://pweb.netcom.com/~ghartens/cookie.html
isolate pieces, by filling the surrounding ones, so you'll do it to 4 images so all the pieces are isolated.
Too bad that's compiled. I'd like a look at that code.

Ztreem
11-03-2015, 12:36 AM
Only a few folks seem to get payed to destroy something, vfx wizards and the military :)

The mining industry also works good for fracturing and explosions. :D