PDA

View Full Version : Toroid: native? Cuz....

jeric_synergy
11-02-2015, 12:29 AM
Do this in LWM:

Make anything, or several anythings in one layer.
Using TOROID, make a torus in the same layer
Hit UNDO.

WTH? --Reported, but.... wth??

meshpig
11-02-2015, 01:30 AM
WTH? The anything gets deleted!

MonroePoteet
11-02-2015, 02:40 AM
If you hit UNDO (CTRL-Z) four times, you see how Toroid works: it cuts whatever is in the layer to the clipboard, makes a disc offset from the origin, uses Lathe (or similar) to produce the toroid, then pastes the original content of the layer back in. The first UNDO unpastes the original content, the subsequent UNDO's undo the Lathe, the disc, and the cut. So, to undo the toroid, do four (4) undos.

mTp

jeric_synergy
11-02-2015, 08:11 AM
I cannot roll my eyes hard enough: why the hell didn't they do this (#3 above) in an empty Layer instead?

Very very weak. That is just piss poor programming.

prometheus
11-02-2015, 10:11 AM
I cannot roll my eyes hard enough: why the hell didn't they do this (#3 above) in an empty Layer instead?

Very very weak. That is just piss poor programming.

Jeric...it is bad programming, but please..I urge you to consider your language, sometimes you have a language that isnīt very polite.

Meanwhile...try use the superquadric tool in toroid mode, that will help you create toroids more interactivly and that one doesnīt screw up when undoing.

jeric_synergy
11-02-2015, 10:20 AM
From a managerial perspective, it's probably more efficient to simply leave this old toroid routine out of the next release, and refer users to the superquadric tool in the dox. It's most likely ancient, and hopefully whoever coded it is now working in real estate.

prometheus
11-02-2015, 10:24 AM
I wonder if one could not set the superquadric tool up for faster acess and use, you could of course start by editing the menu and add the superquadric tool as a new button..not hidden under more, and rename it to Toroid2, then all it needs is to actually activate directly when you hit the button and also have itīs default state to toroid.

fixing it to a menu with a new name is easy enough, but fixing it to start active..donīt know.
I also think the superquadric toroid tool needs a better default setting of 2.0 not 1.66.

jeric_synergy
11-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Toroid looks to be cobbled together from Disk and Lathe. Perhaps something could be done w/SQ. (It'd be fine if it didn't stupidly cut the whole layer away and then paste it back in, wtf?)

The more granular the tools are, the easier to script in chunks. For a LONG time I've been "meaning" to make scripts that call up, say, MOVE with a given falloff.- e.g. "Move-Polygons". --I'm not sure it's possible, leaving the app in a particular, umm, "tool-state".

The next best thing to recoding is when tools retain their values-- which can be a double edged knife. So, 2.0 would be retained rather than 1.66.

art
11-02-2015, 11:26 AM
I wrote my Torus+ years ago (LW8), it's not perfect but at least it offers some interactivity over the existing static tool. I just recompiled it today for 64 bit (after reading this thread :)) and it seems to run fine in modeler 2015.3. I did not fully test is though. See attached and don't forget the numeric panel.

jeric_synergy
11-02-2015, 11:35 AM
Art, I've always liked your scripts, mucho functionality. THANK you for recompiling this! :thumbsup:

JohnMarchant
11-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Thanks to from me Art.

jeric_synergy
11-02-2015, 02:14 PM
:D :boogiedow :D

:beerchug:

I don't know if its the 64 bit or what, but I gave Art's TORUS+ 1,000 sections and 24 sides and it was still pretty zippy. ALSO, it's just GREAT that it's interactive. It's serious fun. All sorts of knobs to twiddle.

art
12-02-2015, 07:30 AM
The plugin got updated to version 2.0. Jeric_synergy, thanks for ideas ;)

Download link (Win32/64): http://artssphere.com/download.php?file=awTorusPlus2.0.zip

Andy Webb
12-02-2015, 09:35 AM
The plugin got updated to version 2.0. Jeric_synergy, thanks for ideas ;)

That's great, could have done with that on my last job :-)

jeric_synergy
12-02-2015, 04:39 PM
BTW, one of the things that Art added, bless his heart, is the ability to create (retain?) the curve associated with the generation of the object. similar to how Helix Clone leaves behind a useful Curve.

This new version is chock full of goodies, ESPECIALLY the Offset that everyone's been crying for. There it is! Go to town! Make a darn spiral!! Make a HELICAL spiral, dammit!
Note the onscreen, interactive controls. :thumbsup: Be sure to check in the EXTRAS tab for more goodness.

All hail, Art W.!!! :bowdown:

spherical
12-02-2015, 08:27 PM
YAAAAaaaaaay! Kinda eclipses Toroid2 and exactly what I was asking for in that original thread: Y offset.

art
12-02-2015, 08:53 PM
I found a couple of bugs already but I'll fix them, hopefully soon.

erikals
12-02-2015, 09:43 PM
looks Awesome http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif
hm, i'm getting a PC crash (freeze) when trying to install it (32bit), before freeze i get a msvcr110.dll is missing message...
trying to solve a bit now, might get back to it later on...

edit: msvcr110 is installed, maybe it is a directory thing
C:\Windows\System (Windows 95 /98 /Me)
C:\Windows\System32 (Windows 7) < mine is here

or maybe that i'm running 32bitLW on Win764bit...

art
12-03-2015, 06:22 AM
To be honest, I did't try running the 32 bit version, I just compiled it. I'll try it when I get back home.

zapper1998
12-03-2015, 10:01 AM
Thank You

prometheus
12-04-2015, 07:13 AM
To be honest, I did't try running the 32 bit version, I just compiled it. I'll try it when I get back home.

Thanks Artur..and for all your great plugins, Ivé been using the bezier bridge a lot lately, and I think itīs about time soon to start donating a bit to you, not until beginning of 2016 though.

Suggestions for enhanced bridge tool...
1. twist option
2. ribbon option (like nipponites) though nipponites is a bit too slow.
3. multibridge options, selecting polys with gaps in between then perform bridging so you can have two bridge connections but with editible curve(either through one curve or multi curves)
4. bridge presets.

Havenīt checked the update to the Toroid2, since I only installed 2015 32 bit so far.

raw-m
12-16-2015, 04:42 AM
oooh, that looks great. Is there a Mac version on the way, art?

art
12-16-2015, 07:01 AM
No Mac version available at this time :(

art
01-05-2016, 08:00 AM
Holiday break is over so I finally found some time to finish updating the plugin once more. I fixed some bugs and added a feature or two. I tested it in LW2015.3 64 and 32 bit. Still no Mac version :(
Download here: http://artssphere.com/download.php?file=awTorusPlus2.1.zip

pinkmouse
01-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Waiting only makes it better when it finally arrives! :D

Danner
01-05-2016, 11:42 AM
Really nice! Thank you, very generous of you. I never liked the clunky non interactive native torus tool, only used it for springs and stuff like that. I had my own workflow to trick LW into making a somewhat interactive torus. (slightly extruded disk, beveled edges inward, bridge, subpatch, then control thickness with point normal move), So yeah yours is a lot better =D. Only thing I miss from standard LW tools is the ability to use arrow keys to up the division count. But I don't know if you should really devote much time to this, LightWave Next (as it's being called) has an interactive torus tool.

jeric_synergy
01-05-2016, 05:49 PM
But I don't know if you should really devote much time to this, LightWave Next (as it's being called) has an interactive torus tool.
It might be a big fat p.o.c., so Art is very welcome. At the very least, they should aim to surpass his free offering.

Danner
01-07-2016, 02:42 AM
It might be a big fat p.o.c., so Art is very welcome. At the very least, they should aim to surpass his free offering.

Looks pretty decent to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMPS6WxAwTo

erikals
01-07-2016, 03:44 PM
this would be good in 2016...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAcWEKvkrCE

jeric_synergy
01-07-2016, 03:59 PM
You mean it's aligned on the point normal, right?

For other controls I'd want "+/CNTR/-" radio button for alignment along the normal, heck just make it a distance, call it offset, and a "Start Angle" to spin the whole array around the pt normal.

To keep it all mousy: vertical mouse drag sets offset, horizontal sets Start Angle. MMB could increment instance number.