PDA

View Full Version : Lost Shortcuts and menu items

jimzombie
11-01-2015, 09:01 AM
So I booted up LightWave 11.6.3 (modeller) and immediately notice a whole pile of shortcuts have disappeared. Seems to have killed everything that I used when LW was previously open. I tried to reload my configuration, no luck, everything still missing. I've got a few things remapped, but it looks like there is a lot that are missing completely.

Loop select. I can't even find the menu item for it. "Connect". At least that's what I think it's called. That one where you cut polygons or edges in half. Normally mapped to "l". And then most or all the stuff added with LW 11.5 seems to be gone - thicken etc.

I'm going to try to reinstall. Anyone know what happened here? I would very much like this to not happen again in the future. Anything I can do to avoid this happening again would be very useful.

jimzombie
11-01-2015, 09:29 AM
Ok, that didn't work. Is there a hidden config file in the lightwave content directory or in "appdata"?

Seriously, I'm on the verge of throwing my monitor out the window and running off to join the circus, commie insurgents, hippies or whatever.

jimzombie
11-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Fixed. Now I just have to rebuild all my custom hot keys and menus (reloading the old presets just resulted in the original problem again). Have no idea what happened here. Would like to do more than just cross my fingers and hope this doesn't happen again.

Dexter2999
11-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Could have been your config file was corrupted. You could try saving out a back up copy to another folder or thumbdrive when you get things back to where you like them. Then in the future should it happen again, trash the bad config file and copy back up back into the LW folder.

Good luck.

jeric_synergy
11-01-2015, 11:22 AM
EVERY time I alter my menus or keys I save a copy out (with a date--I used to think that was important, but hundreds of unused files later, I don't bother so much).

I do this precisely because I've been bit on the butt like the OP dozens of times, and it's a huge PITA to recover those menu and key configs.

Paranoia is your friend here.

(in fact, I think I'll post this in the "Basic things" thread.)

jimzombie
11-06-2015, 07:17 AM
Yep, agree that having a redundant copy is a good idea. Happened again. Wonder what's going on here. Everything has been going along fine and then I get this happening twice within a week. Or twice out of twice in terms of running modeller.

Ok... just confirmed, this is happening every time I close Modeler. Very confused. Could this be a system problem? Well, that seems likely, but how and why?

jimzombie
11-06-2015, 07:35 AM
But then again I take it back. Just closed and reopened Modeler after loading old shortcut and menu presets, and everything seems fine. And again. Still fine. Very confused. Maybe I rolled snake eyes?

jeric_synergy
11-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Nahhh, it's just inconsistant.

Hey, the other day I launched 2 Modelers, and the HUB came back from the dead. Didn't last though.