PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with the "Drill"?

Leo Chen
10-31-2015, 10:22 PM
I have follow the tutorial video to learn "DRILL" command.
But the result is "BLANK"!

What did I do wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

try Solid Drill:

Still get "Blank"...

Dexter2999
11-01-2015, 12:24 AM
That circle in the second layer is a disc?

Did you try "Tunnel" instead of "Core"?

meshpig
11-01-2015, 12:48 AM
Solid as in no geometry for the boolean. Smooth Shift or Extend the geo so it intersects.

Leo Chen
11-01-2015, 01:42 AM
That circle in the second layer is a disc?

Did you try "Tunnel" instead of "Core"?

Thank you, Dexter2999.

Yes, it supposed to be a disc but I am not sure if it is plane.

Yes, I have try the tunnel the result is the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Solid as in no geometry for the boolean. Smooth Shift or Extend the geo so it intersects.

Thank you,meshpig.

I really don't understand what you said.

jeric_synergy
11-01-2015, 01:04 AM
At a guess: FLIP ( "f" ) your cutter's normal the other way 'round.

meshpig
11-01-2015, 01:08 AM
Thank you,meshpig.

Leo, so the background geometry has something to work with. The tube intersects with the ball so you get the tunnel :)

Leo Chen
11-01-2015, 02:13 AM
Thank you, Dexter2999.

Yes, it supposed to be a disc but I am not sure if it is plane.

Yes, I have try the tunnel the result is the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you,meshpig.

Thank you, jeric_synergy.

It still does not work.

Leo Chen
11-01-2015, 02:17 AM
Leo, so the background geometry has something to work with. The tube intersects with the ball so you get the tunnel :)

Thank you,meshpig.

But your attached image looks like "putting an cylinder directly into the ball",
not drilling through the ball.

glebe digital
11-01-2015, 03:41 AM
Leo, meshpig's image is after the drill operation.......extrude your disk so it's volume passes through the sphere geometry.

jeric_synergy
11-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Leo, meshpig's image is after the drill operation.......extrude your disk so it's volume passes through the sphere geometry.
Well, the deal is he shouldn't HAVE to, (TEMPLATE) DRILL should work. It works here. In fact, I couldn't make it NOT work. It used to be more sensitive to the normal direction of the cutter, but now it doesn't seem to care.

Leo, try selecting the relevant polys in the foreground object, see if that makes a difference.

Also, know that this kind of try/try/try is not uncommon.

JoePoe
11-01-2015, 09:22 AM
Yes! To be fair, images 1-3 of the OP are really weird (well I should say #3 is weird, the other two look like a fine setup). Should work. Not sure what the problem is.

Images 4 & 5 ..... yeah, needs to be an intersecting solid, not a disc.

jeric_synergy
11-01-2015, 09:28 AM
Leo, let's quit messing around: upload your test object so we can assure ourselves it's correct.

Dexter2999
11-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Just noticed that in the original pic you were in edge mode. I don't know if that has anything to do with your results. FWIW I have only ever tried using template drill in poly mode.

EDIT:
Just tried in Edge mode and it works fine here.

meshpig
11-01-2015, 08:57 PM
Yeah but that's the Drill (Template Drill) Drill not the Solid Drill :)

Leo Chen
11-01-2015, 09:59 PM
Leo, let's quit messing around: upload your test object so we can assure ourselves it's correct.

OK.
Thank you.

Leo Chen
11-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Thank you,meshpig, Dexter2999 and jeric_synergy.

Leo Chen
11-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Yes! To be fair, images 1-3 of the OP are really weird (well I should say #3 is weird, the other two look like a fine setup). Should work. Not sure what the problem is.

Images 4 & 5 ..... yeah, needs to be an intersecting solid, not a disc.

Thank you, JoePoe.

How to tell if it is "an intersecting solid" or "just a disc"?

Leo Chen
11-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Well, the deal is he shouldn't HAVE to, (TEMPLATE) DRILL should work. It works here. In fact, I couldn't make it NOT work. It used to be more sensitive to the normal direction of the cutter, but now it doesn't seem to care.

Leo, try selecting the relevant polys in the foreground object, see if that makes a difference.

Also, know that this kind of try/try/try is not uncommon.

Thank you, jeric _synergy.

I have tried every other directions.
Also, I have tried exchanging foreground layer and background layer.

> try selecting the relevant polys

How to do that?

jeric_synergy
11-01-2015, 10:30 PM
OK, the problem with the Template Drill example is: the cutter is 2 coincident polys, plus there's a stray 1pt poly floating to the minus X of the main cutter.

Kill the 1pt poly, MERGE POINTS and UNIFY POLYS on the cutter and it works fine.

I'm not sure what the full set of rules are, but the path to success with TEMPLATE DRILL is one-sided polys with zero thickness.

+++++++

testdrill2 works fine as a SOLID DRILL example, once the cutter is moved to overlap the mesh being cut.

Dexter2999
11-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Hey Leo.

So, that is an interesting model. In that second layer, that isn't a simple disc. I did a "m" for merge points and it deleted 23 points. Then I found a one point poly off to the side and deleted that one. Then I was able to click on the disk and select the poly and cut and paste it to a third layer. But when I cut it, there was still a disk in the second layer. So there are two polys on top of each other?

Anyway, the single disk in the third layer Drill's fine on the first layer. So, the problem may be tied to the complexity of the poly you were attempting to use as Template.

meshpig
11-02-2015, 01:14 AM
Yes, you don't want 1 pt polys involved in such operations. The disc had one and that's why it didn't work.

JoePoe
11-02-2015, 08:07 AM
Interesting. That speck isn't a 1 point poly (it is after a merge :hey:).... it's a 24 sided disc shrunken down on itself. Points selection on it=24 (no 1 point polys in statistics). Weird that it doesn't "light up" when selected as a >4 poly though. But it is.
And it's not the problem anyway. I can pepper the thing with 1 pt polys and collapsed discs (not to be confused with the operation "Collapse Polygon") and the operation will work. Well, 1 pts do nothing, and collapsed discs leave dots. But, in this case the speck is off to the side anyway, so moot.

The problem is the other (2) discs. They are coincident BUT with points merged. Pts=24 polys=2. If the pts weren't merged the template drill would have left rings of pts as a result.... but I digress.

The only fix needed for this to work is to run Unify Polys. Gets rid of 1.
------------
On a little side experiment I offset two coincident discs. Got an interesting result. Who knows what's rattling around in the LW brain to come to that :D. The cutter sort of template drilled itself before drilling the object? Yet the cutter is still two whole overlapping discs....

jeric_synergy
11-02-2015, 08:16 AM
On a little side experiment I offset two coincident discs. Got an interesting result. Who knows what's rattling around in the LW brain to come to that :D. The cutter sort of template drilled itself before drilling the object? Yet the cutter is still two whole overlapping discs....
Hmmmmmm.... innNNNNNnnnntersting... ::drags on cigarette held like dart:: How can we put this behavior to work?

meshpig
11-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Interesting. That speck isn't a 1 point poly (it is after a merge :hey:).... it's a 24 sided disc shrunken down on itself. Points selection on it=24 (no 1 point polys in statistics). Weird that it doesn't "light up" when selected as a >4 poly though. But it is.

I mean this little dude off to the side :)

Dexter2999
11-02-2015, 05:17 PM

That little "dude" appears to be 24 points sitting on top of each other.

At first I thought it might be disc scaled down to nothing but I scaled it up 2000% and it is still registers as 24 points and single speck.

JoePoe
11-02-2015, 08:21 PM

Yes. That's what I mean too. :) Get rid of it... the problem remains.

At first I thought it might be disc scaled down to nothing but I scaled it up 2000% and it is still registers as 24 points and single speck.

It is a scaled down disc. Have you scaled a disc down and tried to scale it back up? Don't work.
I think it's because, once you go down to 0 multiplying by 2000% (or whatever) doesn't compute.

Edit: Hmm, now 1 pt polys are giving issues. I blame the martinis.... :beerchug:

Leo Chen
11-07-2015, 07:51 PM
I still can not find what cause the problem.

jeric_synergy
11-07-2015, 09:36 PM
I thought that was pretty well covered above. Are the objects in #27 new?

You know DRILL objects have to be in the background, right?

AGAIN, upload your objects if you want quality answers.

Leo Chen
11-07-2015, 10:05 PM

I reloaded the .obj from 1st floor.
Just selected all the point and tried to find out the trouble-maker.

Leo Chen
11-07-2015, 10:09 PM

I knew the cutter should be on the background layer.

I turn on these two layers just for inspection.

Dexter2999
11-07-2015, 11:02 PM
Hey Leo,

Is this the model you uploaded as Testdrill.zip?

Did you delete the point off to the side that is 24 points?
Try selecting the disc you want to use as a template to drill and Cut it out of the layer with keyboard shortcut Ctrl-X. You will see that there is a second disc there.They directly overlap. I attached a pic where I moved one to the side then pasted the one I cut back down. So you can see both of them.

Post #22 in this thread demonstrates that when you have two polys overlapping you will get an undesired result. (Well, undesired if you were expecting a straight forward drill of the outline of the polys and not overlaps.)

With only one disc in the second layer. Try the Template drill function again.

Hope this helps.

Leo Chen
11-08-2015, 02:24 AM
Hey Leo,

Is this the model you uploaded as Testdrill.zip?

Did you delete the point off to the side that is 24 points?
Try selecting the disc you want to use as a template to drill and Cut it out of the layer with keyboard shortcut Ctrl-X. You will see that there is a second disc there.They directly overlap. I attached a pic where I moved one to the side then pasted the one I cut back down. So you can see both of them.

Post #22 in this thread demonstrates that when you have two polys overlapping you will get an undesired result. (Well, undesired if you were expecting a straight forward drill of the outline of the polys and not overlaps.)

With only one disc in the second layer. Try the Template drill function again.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, Dexter2999.

I just found it is because the disc is a 2-side plane.

And the drill can not accept 2-side plane and 3D model, the cutter must be a single-side plane.