PDA

View Full Version : Unsolicited testimonial: Ryan Roye's "Intro to Python" on Liberty3d - H'ween sale!

jeric_synergy
10-31-2015, 04:30 PM
Just posting a timely testimonial:

Picked up UberCam and "Intro to Python" from Liberty3d to take advantage of their Halloween Sale, good 'til 11/2 (I believe).

I just wanted to say: If you have been struggling with Python scripting in Lightwave, avail yourself of Ryan Roye's video series. While basic at certain topics, it makes some EXTREMELY aggravating confusions go away (and isn't shy about pointing them out either). Consolidating and making sense of the confusion that LW3dG has bequeathed would-be Python scripters, this is a must-have package for those who, like me, are driven to distraction by the convoluted nature of the scripting reference materials.

Get it now, 25% off during the sale.

No connection to L3d or RR, just a satisfied customer.

ncr100
10-31-2015, 05:50 PM
Alternatives to PayPal @ L3D? I closed my PP account for .. reasons, http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2013/May/163, and wonder if I'm just SOL vis--vis L3D. This Python training is intriguing.

jeric_synergy
10-31-2015, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I hear ya: PP account screwed me good with overdraft NON-protection. Now disputing, we shall see.

Ask Kat Meyers about alternatives.

I had MOST of the pieces for Python, but Ryan puts it all together in a way that makes sense. Well worth it for the tips, examples, and all-around clarification. --Let's just say LW3dG are not the strongest in documentation. "Reference" is about the highest they accomplish.

ncr100
10-31-2015, 06:14 PM
:thumbsup:

Ryan Roye
10-31-2015, 07:13 PM
Glad to hear it Jeric. To be fair, I received quite a bit of help from Oliver Hotz which made creating the learning content possible in the first place. Self-learning the Lightwave Python SDK is especially challenging for these reasons:

- As mentioned, the Lightwave Python documentation is put out as a reference guide, with overly abstract or complex usage examples.

- Some functions are interdependent on eachother, which the Lightwave Python docs don't explain.

- The Python docs in part force you to reference the Lscript documentation, which gives examples using a different Syntax.

- Some things I talk about actually aren't mentioned in the Python OR lscript docs!!

To summarize, the information you need to learn Lightwave's Python SDK is scattered everywhere. If I ever find the time to advance my knowledge further, perhaps in the future I can cover the rest of Python which involves making interactive scripts and working with very specific areas of the Lightwave interface.

willin
11-01-2015, 09:45 AM
If I ever find the time to advance my knowledge further, perhaps in the future I can cover the rest of Python which involves making interactive scripts and working with very specific areas of the Lightwave interface.

Hoping you find the time.