PDA

View Full Version : Rail extrude help

genesis1
10-30-2015, 06:12 AM
I don't use modeler that often but can't remember having this problem before. I draw a spline curve in the background, then A flat disk in the foreground, then line it up with the spline curve then rail extrude. All I'm getting is a flat tube instead of an extended tube. What am I missing?

Kaptive
10-30-2015, 06:40 AM
Hi. I've just had a play, and the key button (assuming you're on LW2015... and I don't know when the last time this function was altered) is "Align to Start" down at the bottom.

If you use the method you mention, then you need to turn Align to Start "Off". But if you simply put your disk flat on 0,0,0 on the X,Z orientation, and turn Align to Start "On" (Which is the default setting)... then it will do all the aligning for you, saving a lot of messing about. (See image)

I tried both methods and got the same result more or less.

genesis1
10-30-2015, 06:47 AM
That's what I've been doing and I still get a squashed flat object as if its only extruding1 side. I tried it with a flat plane. scratching my head at this.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wait...I just turned off align to start and its worked.

genesis1
10-30-2015, 06:48 AM
I was aligning it manually with it on, so I guess that was causing the problem. Thanks for your help.

Kaptive
10-30-2015, 06:52 AM
Yeah, I did what you did first (as that was the way it used to work!) and got the same results as you... made me scratch my head I can tell you!
I guess the Align to Start button is new.. and very useful too I might add. I wonder when that showed up?!

Anyway, glad I could help :)

Chris S. (Fez)
10-30-2015, 09:07 AM
and very useful too I might add.

Agreed. Very helpful. Way too much trial and error before. Thanks all around for this thread.

jeric_synergy
10-30-2015, 11:05 AM
I've found ALIGN TO START to be problematic: for individual polys, one of the several "align to rail" plugins seem more predictable. YMMV.

There was a recent MULTI-RAIL EXTRUDE thread wherein somebody (JoePoe?) did cool things with multi-rails. Makes me wish I had an application for it. You may find it interesting, if you can find it.

genesis1
10-30-2015, 06:32 PM
I really should dive into modeler a bit more. I use it for basic stuff but haven't used it to its full potential as I tend to use other software for modeling and LW for rendering animations. Hence I was thrown for a while on the rail extrude issue.

prometheus
10-31-2015, 06:10 AM
You could also use the free pictrix bezier

it will let you extend almost like rail extrude..except you do it with a direct editable path..it will not work on already created Native lw curves though, but you can however draw a px curve and save out to a library and reload it back and extend based on that.

you can use multi poly segments to extend too, and you got options to twist it to create cords etc.
use extend mode for it to work similar to rail extrude.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/px_bezier/