PDA

View Full Version : Select Polygons From Weight Map Selections

Schwyhart
10-29-2015, 03:44 PM
I have tried to select the polygons by going to Select>By Vertex Map Value.
I select my Vmap and choose Absolute with a value of 100% and then check Select Polygons Associated with Points.
When I click OK Modeler freezes and I have no choice but to force quit the application.

Is there any way to select polygons by using weight maps?

Schwyhart
10-29-2015, 03:47 PM
Found it!

Selection tab>Polygons>VMap Poly Select

Schwyhart
10-29-2015, 03:51 PM
Okay, now is there any possible way to select the same polygons on the opposite axis? I have the selection in X and now I want the same in -X. The object was mirrored, so I wouldn't think this would be a difficult thing to do.

caustix
10-29-2015, 04:32 PM
Hi, simply turn on "symmetry" before you start selecting.

Schwyhart
10-29-2015, 04:41 PM
Well that doesn't solve the issue I'm doing.
I made weight maps for the left side of the body and I'd prefer not to restart, so I needed a way to select the polygons by using the various maps I've created.
For example, the foot. I convert the weight map to a polygon selection of the left foot and then select the same polygons of the right foot...then deselect the left foot, which leaves the right foot selected, and then make a new map called foot_r.

What would make this easier is if there was a native weight map mirror tool. As of right now, there is not.

- - - Updated - - -

In hindsight...I would select polygons in symmetry mode and then create the maps. And hopefully be able to split the maps left and right.

caustix
10-29-2015, 05:00 PM
ok ... if you select by vertex map you won't need symmetry at all ... if you mirrored your geo the weight map values should be mirrored with it.

One approach you may check is simply hide half of your model ... lets say the left side which has been mirrored over to the right.

Then select polys by vertex map lets say "footL" ... clear map ... assign new map "footR"

Should be pretty straight forward.

Schwyhart
10-29-2015, 06:37 PM
That solves all my problems. But in a different way.
The model is out of MakeHuman...what I should have done was delete half the body and then add maps to it. Then mirror the geo, which also mirrors the weight maps. Of course I'd also need to change the L to R, but man, way easier than what I'm currently doing.

On a side note. I changed computers (both with 2015.3) and Selection tab>Polygons>VMap Poly Select isn't on my second computer. What gives?

Schwyhart
10-29-2015, 06:40 PM
Okay, the command changed...it's
Selection tab>Polygons>Select Polygons from Selection Set

Either the name changed or I saw it wrong on my other computer.

Schwyhart
10-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Okay, how is this possible?
My laptop, which runs 2015.3, shows - Selection tab>Polygons>Select Polygons from Selection Set
My Desktop, which also runs 2015.3, shows - Selection tab>Polygons>VMap Poly Select

Why is it different??

JoePoe
10-30-2015, 09:03 AM
Perhaps you're running different Menu Styles?

For me (2015.3 Mac default menu style) it's Selection tab > Maps > Select by Vertex Map Value

Edit: there is also Maps > Select by Map. But that only works with points. The other is more flexible.

Schwyhart
10-30-2015, 09:19 AM
I'll have to try that! Thanks!
I hope 2016 gets rid of all the old...it's making things confusing and cluttered. Especially for someone fairly new to the software.