PDA

View Full Version : Is this silly?: insurance while modeling / conservative habits

jeric_synergy
10-29-2015, 02:37 PM
I have a long-standing habit of copying meshes and bits of meshes and stashing them in Layer 10.

I do this because of:

the general crashiness of LWM
the destructive nature of many LWM tools*
I hate reconstructing bits and pieces I may use again.

I use Layer 10 because it's the easiest, fastest and most out-of-the-way layer accessible directly from the keyboard.

Additionally I turn off L10's visibility/eyeball, and give it a name "NV-STORAGE". ("NV-" for "Non-Visible".)

So, these are my practices. My question is: is this silly? Are there better ways to go about preserving bits and pieces?

+++++++++
*for example, Point Clone Plus. Your original mesh disappears. :grumpy:

Waves of light
10-29-2015, 04:42 PM
Nope, that's pretty much my workflow too. Things like splines before patching, geo before booleans, etc get dropped in their... i usually just call it junk and turn off layer viability when sent to layout.

Kevbarnes
10-29-2015, 04:56 PM
I have a long-standing habit of copying meshes and bits of meshes and stashing them in Layer 10.

I tend to do the same.

One downside I have found is, if you have additional surfaces stored on geometry, in an unused layer
they become visible in layout Surface Editor List. Which can become confusing.

lertola2
10-29-2015, 05:58 PM
I do that also.

spherical
10-29-2015, 07:23 PM
I do similar, but not in the same file. I maintain an "[objectname]_parts" file that holds multiple layers of splines, boolean cutters, complex model sections, entire assemblies; IOW, anything I may use later, need a backup of or just want to store while I try something risky. This keeps the actual production model clean and lean. Storing extraneous stuff in the production model is a waste of resources. If I need a part, I know where to find it. Besides, most of my models are complex enough that I use WAY more than 10 layers and pasting multiple meshes into one layer is iffy, at best.

probiner
10-29-2015, 07:45 PM

I do this because of:

the general crashiness of LWM
the destructive nature of many LWM tools*
I hate reconstructing bits and pieces I may use again.

I use Layer 10 because it's the easiest, fastest and most out-of-the-way layer accessible directly from the keyboard.

Additionally I turn off L10's visibility/eyeball, and give it a name "NV-STORAGE". ("NV-" for "Non-Visible".)

So, these are my practices. My question is: is this silly? Are there better ways to go about preserving bits and pieces?

+++++++++
*for example, Point Clone Plus. Your original mesh disappears. :grumpy:

Yup, most of that disapeared when I started using Softimage and not having to keep meshes around just for the sake of repeating modeling steps all the time. I have version files of the mesh, but they are not filled with modeling step meshes like In LW.
So to me it's symptomatic how things are by design. This along other things (e.g. not being able to pick layers in the viewport I find hard to come back to LW for modeling. I wouldn't mind some tools and plasticity and speed, but the workflow basics and me aren't aligned anymore.