PDA

View Full Version : Layout v10.1 Crashing With File Dialogs

rchiokis
10-29-2015, 09:21 AM
Before yesterday (October 28, 2015) everything in my Lightwave universe was just fine. Yesterday, I took a model into Layout to test some lighting on it. When I clicked File: Save Scene, the dialog window opened, but it was blank. I got the spinning beach ball and Layout crashed.

Now anytime I try to access any file dialog, even trying to load an image in the surfaces panel, Layout crashes. Sometimes I don't even get to the dialog box, the File menu itself opens the sub-menu list then stops working (no high-light, not able to click any options etc.).

Technical details:

Late 2013 iMac with 4 cores and 8 GB RAM, running OS X El Capitan.
Lightwave version 10.1

I have deleted the config files and started fresh; it still crashes. I have removed Lightwave completely and did a fresh install. It still crashes. I tried using older backups of the config files from the days when it was working fine and it still crashes.

Lightwave isn't much fun if Layout isn't usable. Anyone have any suggestions?

CaptainMarlowe
10-29-2015, 02:04 PM
Did the crashes occur after upgrading el capitan to 10.11.1 ?

CaptainMarlowe
10-29-2015, 11:50 PM
Maybe your GPU drivers are outdated. NVidia released New drivers recently.

rchiokis
10-30-2015, 12:00 AM
Did the crashes occur after upgrading el capitan to 10.11.1 ?

Yes. But not for several weeks after the upgrade to el capitan.

rchiokis
10-30-2015, 12:02 AM
Yes. But not for several weeks after the upgrade to el capitan.

My iMac uses an Intel Iris Pro integrated chipset. Apple has not released any updates for that.

CaptainMarlowe
10-30-2015, 05:57 AM
OK. Did you upgrade El Capitan to the last update, which was released around the 28 of this month ? I was referring to 10.11.1 which is very recent.

rchiokis
10-30-2015, 08:09 AM
Yes, I'm on 10.11.1. I'd forgotten about that. That could be the culprit.

Sensei
10-30-2015, 08:10 AM
On Windows in Prefs ('o' short-key) we have File Dialog pop-down control where we can change System file dialogs to 3rd party.
Do you have such option on Mac?
If so, try using 3rd party file requesters, to see whether it helps..

jeric_synergy
10-30-2015, 08:49 AM
Yes, try the LW specific file dialogs, and while you're there check the LW color picker if you're not using it (same dialog).

rchiokis
10-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Actually, I had thought of trying the LW specific file dialog. Same story; it will load a scene or an object but the moment I ask it to save, crash and burn.

Every time it crashes I send the report to Apple. Hopefully they'll get tired of the flood of reports from me and look into it. :)

In the meantime, I'm going to use Time Machine and roll the computer back a few days before the 10.11.1 update.

Sensei
10-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Lightwave version 10.1

If it's LW issue,
it could be already fixed years ago...

Download LW v11.6.x,
download LW 2015,
trial versions.
And check them.

Trial allows saving? I recall that Discovery mode does not allow saving. But is saving requirement to have this crash, or it's just an accident.. ?
While saving there is analyzed whole memory where is scene. If something damaged memory (memory corruption), scanning/analyzing it, will be causing crash. But in reality bug is in completely different place (where overwriting memory occurred).

Scazzino
10-30-2015, 11:09 AM
See if changing the OpenGL setting to legacy makes any difference. Another user is having problems loading objects from the Flie-Open menu and setting OpenGL to legacy mode (disabling OpenGL acceleration) fixes it in that case.

jeric_synergy
10-30-2015, 11:17 AM
A recent update seems to have torpedoed many Mac users.

+++
It's amazing what interacts in a system: once I had to turn off 'Mouse Trails' to kill a bug. 8~

rchiokis
10-30-2015, 06:07 PM
So I spent the afternoon letting Time Machine restore the system back to OS 10.10 and the Lightwave issue has vanished. So that was it. I'll wait until 10.11.2 or higher comes out and try again.

Thanks for your input everyone!