View Full Version : Where is this TAB?

Leo Chen
10-28-2015, 08:34 PM
Where is the the TAB (make)?

PS: I am new user.
PS: my Lightwave is LightWave 2015.

lertola2
10-28-2015, 09:30 PM
In LW2015 my make button says "Drop Tool" instead. If you can't find it you can add it with the "Edit Menu Layout" command.

jeric_synergy
10-28-2015, 10:59 PM
?? Isn't MAKE usually ENTER? TAB is "toggle Subd".

FWIW, it appears the screen shot is using SPLINE DRAW, and what do you know, either TAB or ENTER works to exit the tool, leaving a Curve behind.

The light grey "ret" on the MAKE button (pic#2) means "RETURN", the archaic term for "ENTER".

Since LWM menus are user-definable, it may be that somehow yours got left off your personal interface.

Leo Chen
10-29-2015, 09:40 PM
In LW2015 my make button says "Drop Tool" instead. If you can't find it you can add it with the "Edit Menu Layout" command.

Thank you, lertola2.

Leo Chen
10-29-2015, 09:42 PM
Thank you, lertola2.

Sorry, I mean "buttom"!

Thank you, jeric_synergy.

Leo Chen
11-02-2015, 12:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0mjoXCVT0s

In the above video, how the shape chages from 6:02 to 6:03?

jeric_synergy
11-02-2015, 12:38 AM
That's when he toggles subdivision surfaces on.

http://lightwiki.com/wiki/Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling

While the SET SUBPATCH command is default mapped to the TAB key, there is a much better subpatch function to use, with the horrible name of:

G-TOGGLE SUBPATCH

I highly recommend you map the TAB key to "G-TOGGLE SUBPATCH". The difference is, SET SUBPATCH works with Selections, and G-TOGGLE SUBPATCH toggles everything, Selected or not. When working with Subpatches, this is almost always how one would prefer to work.

Leo Chen
11-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Thank you,jeric_synergy.

Yes, that is the "TAB"which the video is talking about.

The problem is how come that producer of the tutorial video does not need to use "TRIPLE command" before using "TAB" command?

lertola2
11-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Thank you,jeric_synergy.

Yes, that is the "TAB"which the video is talking about.

The problem is how come that producer of the tutorial video does not need to use "TRIPLE command" before using "TAB" command?

He is using the Catmull-Clark subpatch which works with multi sided polygons.

jeric_synergy
11-02-2015, 05:06 PM
To be precise: you can use regular subd's with 3 & 4 sided polygons.*

Catmull-Clark subpatches work with 3, 4, and n-gons, but apparently have some other issues (UV related??) that makes them slightly less popular.

* "tris" and "quads".

Leo Chen
11-07-2015, 10:16 PM
He is using the Catmull-Clark subpatch which works with multi sided polygons.

Thank you, lertola2.

- - - Updated - - -

To be precise: you can use regular subd's with 3 & 4 sided polygons.*

Catmull-Clark subpatches work with 3, 4, and n-gons, but apparently have some other issues (UV related??) that makes them slightly less popular.

* "tris" and "quads".

Thank you,jeric_synergy.