PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge 10/28/15 - 11/8/15: "Under the Sea"

rifenbury
10-28-2015, 06:28 PM
SPEED MODELING CHALLENGE

DEADLINE: 11-8-15

THEME: Under the Sea! This challenge will focus on plants, animals, and objects that can be found under the sea. I'd love to see a wide range of submissions, so I will let each of you decide whether you want to make this:

...or this:

So get your feet wet and have fun!

LIMITATIONS: As usual, all geometrical/mesh construction must be done within 120 minutes. You have unlimited time for surfacing, rendering, post work, and so on.

JUDGE: Me!

PRIZE: Winner of the challenge sets the theme and judges the next speed modeling challenge.

THE DETAILS: Winning entries will include a final render AND a wireframe render -- this is mandatory. Also appreciated is a post detailing any and all techniques, tools, plugins, and resources used in the generation of your image. Also, running times are nice. You may optionally upload your mesh and scene to share and/or allow other forum users to tweak.

Other threads detail how to get that cool "solid wireframe" render so often used or you might be able to take screen shots of the model in Modeler. Also if you're using LW 2015, its just a matter of checking a box in object settings. Otherwise, you have to use the polygon coloring plugin from here http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php

PLANNING TIME is free! So you can strategize how to get what you want before you start the clock. Also, you don't have to work in one block, feel free to break it up as needed, but do keep track. Again, honor. If you run over, please submit your work anyway so we can see what 120+30 minutes of work looks like. (However, you cannot win if you go over. Time management is also a professional skill.)

RENDER and Post Work: There is no time limit on scene composition, rigging, surfacing and rendering. Scene may contain additional properties not part of this challenge, but only the modeled subject will be considered then. You can do post work and composites on the final render as well, just let us know what you did and how much time it took you to do it.

Ztreem
10-29-2015, 05:12 AM
Usually I'm just lurking these challenges, but this time I gave it a shot.
Time spent on modelling is 25 min.

hrgiger
10-29-2015, 08:10 AM
Nicely done Ztreem.

rifenbury
10-29-2015, 08:20 AM
Good work, Ztreem! A good example of how some subtle detail goes a long way.

Ztreem
10-29-2015, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys! I'll see if I can squeeze another one out later today when the kids are sleeping.

JoePoe
10-29-2015, 02:00 PM
Thanks guys! I'll see if I can squeeze another one out later today when the kids are sleeping.

Squeeze one out?? Where did that thing come from :eek:!!!??? :ohmy:

Regardless.... :thumbsup:.

caustix
10-29-2015, 03:02 PM
Great! Given the time very efficient. Like the underwater mood.

How long did it take to setup the scene?

Regards.

rifenbury
10-29-2015, 03:30 PM
Ditto what caustix said. I'd love to know what came out of LW and what you did in post, if anything.

Ztreem
10-29-2015, 06:56 PM
Squeeze one out?? Where did that thing come from :eek:!!!??? :ohmy:

Regardless.... :thumbsup:.

When you put it like that, what I said didn't sound right... :D ...of course I was just referring to the squeeze tool.

Ztreem
10-29-2015, 07:00 PM
Great! Given the time very efficient. Like the underwater mood.

How long did it take to setup the scene?

Regards.

It took max 1 hour to do everything including modeling. Everything is from scratch, no presets.

- - - Updated - - -

Ditto what caustix said. I'd love to know what came out of LW and what you did in post, if anything.

Not much, I only did a subtle brightness/contrast adjustment in Photoshop.

rifenbury
10-29-2015, 10:01 PM
Classic Sweden. Everything in a tube.

MonroePoteet
11-01-2015, 01:18 PM
A jellyfish.

mTp

unstable
11-01-2015, 02:39 PM
Very cool entries!!! Hope I have time to get one in.

Ztreem
11-01-2015, 04:15 PM
Classic Sweden. Everything in a tube.

Yep!

- - - Updated - - -

A jellyfish.

mTp

Nice! How much time did you spend on the model?

unstable
11-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Ok, I'll submit my wires now and see if I can get a render done before the deadline. A total of 1 hour and 28 minutes.

Ztreem
11-01-2015, 06:07 PM
An Octopus. 100 min of modeling and 90 min setup, render and post.

MonroePoteet
11-02-2015, 12:18 AM
Yep!

Nice! How much time did you spend on the model?

The model itself was about 45-50 minutes, mostly tweaking the colors, texture and luminosity. The entire model and scene setup with volumetric light, HV particles in the current, backdrop fog, and displacement maps was right at 2 hours. The basic geometry was only about 10-15 minutes since it's just a sphere, a bezeled sphere, and a radial array of a tapered disc. The body sphere and tentacles have a gradient weight map to allow displacement motion, inflating and squeezing the body using the Ripples procedural with a gradient alpha layer on the weight map, and letting the tentacles leisurely float in the current using a couple of Turbulence layers, again with a gradient alpha layer on the tentacle weight map. Both the body and tentacles have a color gradient on their weight maps.

Here's the scene file. Turn off the volumetric lighting to improve render time.

mTp

MonroePoteet
11-02-2015, 07:28 AM
BTW, I do know this is a *modeling* competition, so the coloring, texturing, weight maps, displacement, etc. don't count. The jellyfish model itself is totally simplistic and isn't really a competitive entry, but I still wanted to show the results.

mTp

rifenbury
11-02-2015, 09:06 PM
Lots of great entries, everyone. We still have a little under a week for submissions, so keep them coming!

Ztreem, how tedious was it making all the suckers on the octopus tentacles?

rifenbury
11-06-2015, 07:56 AM
We've got a couple days left for submissions if anyone else wants to throw their hat into the ring.

pinkmouse
11-06-2015, 08:32 AM
Trying to find the time! :)

Farhad_azer
11-08-2015, 01:51 PM

I was extremely busy and I am inexperienced in this contest so plz forgive me for such a poor result.

I just wanted to participate.

53 minutes of modeling, Yours.

unstable
11-08-2015, 04:53 PM
Ok, I used up my remaining time to add a clamp, bolt and chain to my anchor. I included the wires and a terrible render. I just didn't have time to create a good texture and experiment with a good underwater look. My apologies. Full 2 hours to do all the modeling.

MonroePoteet
11-08-2015, 06:04 PM
Ok, I used up my remaining time to add a clamp, bolt and chain to my anchor. I included the wires and a terrible render. I just didn't have time to create a good texture and experiment with a good underwater look. My apologies. Full 2 hours to do all the modeling.

The "terrible" render is fine, IMO, in view of the very, very nice, clean mesh. Nice modeling!

mTp

rifenbury
11-09-2015, 09:28 AM
I was really excited by all the entries we had this time. Ztreem's hook and worm and Monroe's jellyfish both showed great examples of how a relatively simple model can look great and be totally convincing. Also, beautiful renders from both of you. Honorable mention to Farhad as well; a really good submission for the short amount of modeling time. However, the winner is...

unstable!

The anchor in its second iteration has lots of nice large and small detail, and you just can't argue with good topology. At the end of the day, that has to be what casts the deciding vote in a modeling challenge. Congrats to unstable and I hope everyone will submit entries on whatever theme he thinks up for us!

unstable
11-09-2015, 02:15 PM
Thanks very much mTp for your support. I guess you're correct in that the render isn't bad, but it didn't meet what I had in mind. I wanted more volume much like yours or Ztreem's. Both had more of an underwater atmosphere. Thanks for recognition of the poly flow as well from both you and rifenbury. I've created the new challenge. Hopefully, we'll have lots of participants.

Light Me Up Folks:D
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?148767-D-SPEED-MODELING-CHALLENGE-quot-LIGHT-ME-UP-quot-Deadline-11-22

Ztreem
11-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Congrats Unstable! I hope I can find time to participate in the new challange.

caustix
11-09-2015, 04:33 PM
Congrats Unstable!

this time I din't find the time to finish it up ... but thought I could post it anyway.

The basic model was done within the time limit, teeth and dents of the claws were added later, as well as some mesh tweaking and reflow.

130860 130861

Looking forward to the new Challenge.

MonroePoteet
11-09-2015, 06:53 PM
Yes, congratulations unstable! A very nice clean mesh, as I said. I wish I was as adept at subpatch modeling!

mTp

P.S. The really simplistic underwater setup I've been using is just a gradient backdrop, fog, and a volumetric light. Added a particle emitter with Crumple textured sprites for floating particulates with the jellyfish. Attached is a basic setup, and the same setup with a poor chain model. Note that the fog max distance is 10m, so anything beyond that distance from the camera will not be visible.

P.P.S. oh, and here's "Chaz" Nemo's ride, following (not too closely) in his father's footsteps. Sadly, the model is hack-n-slash, so I wouldn't offend your eyes with the wires!

Farhad_azer
11-10-2015, 02:01 AM
Congratulation unstable, you really deserved this.

unstable
11-10-2015, 07:20 AM
Cool stuff guys and thanks for the congrats. Thanks for the scene info mTr, I take a look at it. I can always use the help. :thumbsup:

The modeling of this anchor wasnt really difficult at all. I used a trick that Id seen done in the old speed modeling challenges and it just happened to work out well. I started by creating a plane for the very top of the anchor. Then I simply beveled it all the way down for the basic shaft shape. I added the necessary vertical and horizontal cuts using Band Saw. Created an 8 sided disc on a background layer to make the holes in the top section of the anchor using Drill. Then I went to the bottom of the anchor, turned on symmetry and selected the side poly. Again, I beveled it out to form a T. I selected the edges and manually bent them into the curved shape. I selected the side polys at the tips and extruded them. From the top, I selected points near the end and moved them back in creating the triangle shapes. The crossbar was just a beveled 8 sided disk. I did one half and mirrored it. The clamp at the top of the anchor was very fast to create also. I simply copied the polies at the top of the anchor from the green polies up, which would be the orange polys on the clamp. I flipped it upside down, stretched it to make it skinnier and flattened the inner portion that meets the anchor. Then closed the top with a single poly, extruded it several times upward and bent it until the half looked good. Then I mirrored it, bam, the clamp was done. The chain links were done by extruding an 8 sided disk to get one quarter of the link, then I mirrored it on Y and again on X. I flattened one end of the link just a little and made several copies, rotating every other one and positioning them. Hope this all makes sense and is helpful to some.