PDA

View Full Version : Keeping an eye on the competition: C4D Roadshow / Feature request improvement

jeric_synergy
10-28-2015, 09:02 AM
I attended the Seattle C4D Roadshow event last night, and urge all Lightwavers and LW Devs to attend as it passes thru their city-- there's 5 more to go (http://roadshow.maxon3d.com/).

It's an eye-opener, and one of the first things I learned is C4d is bloody expensive. But what I really would like is for LWavers to go and be inspired to make better feature requests, and to witness alternative workflows and UI styles.

Also, it was good to see some of the chinks in the armor: exporting baked camera motion for instance suffered some shortcomings requiring a small bit of hackery, and that's something they didn't even conceal.

And the "Take" system is crazy inspirational: doing revisions and alterations couldn't be easier. For a production environment, it would be a godsend.

jwiede
10-28-2015, 01:19 PM
Also, it was good to see some of the chinks in the armor: exporting baked camera motion for instance suffered some shortcomings requiring a small bit of hackery, and that's something they didn't even conceal.

Can you clarify what you mean by shortcomings? Were you just trying to export "baked"/keyframed camera motion, or was something more than that involved?

And the "Take" system is crazy inspirational: doing revisions and alterations couldn't be easier. For a production environment, it would be a godsend.

Yeah, their implementation of the whole takes/overrides/multipass system allows for ridiculously easy setup of complex pass/take configuration templates. Being able to "mix" templates together in order to build a config (which then itself can be saved as a mixable template) makes putting together even very complex render configurations efficient and straightforward.

Such a "mixable template" mechanism could be implemented on top of LW render settings and a few other LW features in a reasonably concise, direct manner, and would greatly increase the flexibility (and potentially, ease-of-use, if shipped with pre-configured templates) of those features. I keep hoping LW3DG will pursue adding such functionality to Layout.

jeric_synergy
10-28-2015, 06:48 PM
Can you clarify what you mean by shortcomings? Were you just trying to export "baked"/keyframed camera motion, or was something more than that involved?
Their motion baking routines were "parent space" vs "world space". The 'hack' is only barely worthy of the name: applying the C4D equivalent of (world) SAI to a second camera allowed proper world baking to be accomplished

Still, nice to know they aren't superhuman.

IMO I don't think LW3dG should attempt anything NEAR the complexity of the Take system: if we get simply solid render pass implementation I'd be happy. It's just too big a bite to chew all at once.

Farhad_azer
10-29-2015, 05:06 AM
Hi Jeric, someone said a couple of weeks ago that people at some C4D presentation were shocked to find out LW is still being used. hearing this was depressing for me. may I ask if this also happened to you during event? were people familiar with LW? did you have chance to talk about LightWave and your works in it there?

jwiede
10-29-2015, 01:24 PM
did you have chance to talk about LightWave and your works in it there?

At a MAXON-sponsored/-run, Cinema4D-focused event?

Farhad_azer
10-29-2015, 02:08 PM
Not giving lectures but at least talking to people during breaks perhaps.

Can you remember the fellow who was telling that people at c4d events were totally unaware of LW?

jeric_synergy
10-29-2015, 02:11 PM
It didn't really come up in conversation this time. This was heavily weighted towards Adobe AE, being at Adobe AE Headquarters and all. And Adobe being partners with C4D.

One of the attendees is the founder of the Seattle VR group, and I'm hoping to wow him with some Ubercam stuff soon.

I haven't really been active lately as an animator, but I'm hoping to change that soon.