PDA

View Full Version : What is the order of rigging and using morphs?

Schwyhart
10-27-2015, 02:09 PM
Should I rig first and then add the morphs? Or vise versa?
Or does it matter?

I'm wanting to add morphs to the face for facial expressions, but use the rig to move the mouth and eyes. Or should I not rig the jaw and only use morphs for expressions and mouth movement?

squarewulf
10-27-2015, 02:50 PM
I usually copy the head of my character, save it out as a separate object and do all my facial animation on that object. Then I export the endomorph mix and import it into my fully rigged scene.

Surrealist.
10-28-2015, 12:08 AM
Well I know some purists are going to disagree with me but...

Don't bother breaking up your facial animation into rigging and morphs. With the exception of the eyes.

If you really want to, you can rig the whole face. But if you are going to do morphs you can just do the morphs alone even for the jaw movement which technically is a rotation. But you can rotate it in the morph. And it won't be very noticeable even though it travels in a linear direction it winds up in a rotated position.

Same with the eye lids. They can just move in a linear direction.

There is one thing to keep in mind and that is if you look at the facial muscles, they are all pulling the face in a linear direction. The rounded muscles around the mouth and eyes contract in a sort of radial direction. But this can easily be done with a morph as well.

If you don't destroy the weights - assuming you are using them - you can do facial morphs at any stage of the process.

Schwyhart
10-28-2015, 07:12 AM
So, if I understand correctly, I can leave the bones in the head, which were made using Genoma, and do the morphs on top of it.

Again, if I'm understanding correctly, I can move the joint going to the jaw, and then use morphs on top of it and it will work?

As a side note, IMO Lightwave has the easiest rigging workflow...It's incredibly fast and intuitive! :)

Surrealist.
10-28-2015, 08:18 AM
Yes you can have morphs with bones. But for the facial stuff you'd not want to animate the jaw opening and also have a morph opening the jaw. Use one or the other, but all of the other morphs will be fine.

Have a look at the Subdivision Order in the properties panel in Layout for the character. You will see the order of deformations. And for characters you want to set deformation at least to after bones and morphs.

RebelHill
10-29-2015, 09:54 AM
There is no specific order, you can do it whichever way round you feel like. Do however try to avoid mixing bones and morfs for a facail rig... trying to operate the jaw with a bone and the lips with morfs (for instance) is asking for a whole new level of difficulty. So either go all bones, or all morfs.

As for which... creating bone based face rigs is much harder, most especially if you're not a knowledgable rigger, and morfs are a far better place to start. See the video for an introduction to face setups in LW, whats good, and why...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DKm8ETVWzw

Schwyhart
10-29-2015, 10:31 AM
Great! Thanks for the information!