PDA

View Full Version : Any way for an input to accept higher than 60 fps?

jbateman107
10-27-2015, 02:48 PM
We would like to be able to record one camera angle with a higher speed camera for instant replays where we really need to slow it down. Is it possible in any way, shape or form to bring in a camera at something higher than 60 fps? Even if we could get it to accept a 120 or 240, it would be awesome. Is there any aftermarket hardware of software out there that would allow us to somehow get that feed into our 3Play 4800?

kanep
10-27-2015, 11:07 PM
The simple answer is no.

The biggest issue is that there aren't any standards for video formats that are above 60 fps, even 4K stops at 60fps with 12G-SDI. Anything that can do higher is using special protocols that you have to directly support, requiring you to use expensive 'super-slowmo' cameras that few people can afford to purchase.

That being said, the NDI protocol that provides video of IP that NewTek is releasing later this year is not locked to only supporting SDI video formats and would allow for higher frames rates. This is not to say that when NDI is released this workflow will be available day one, but might be possible as more NDI equipment becomes available.

kltv
10-28-2015, 12:50 PM
We've used one of the Sony FS700 cameras as a super slow motion camera for instant replay recently. It actually works really nicely. The camera itself lets you hit a button on it to record the slow motion to memory and while it does that it also outputs it down the SDI path. The signal itself is still a standard 1080i signal, so it goes right into the TriCaster and 3Play systems to be recorded. What we found was that we could just go directly to the camera though while it was recording the buffered high-speed to disk. So my camera op on that camera would let me know he had something with a "replay" over the intercom. If we had time, I'd just wipe straight to his camera and it usually timed just right to get the action we were looking for. It also was recorded into the 3Play in case we wanted it later. I believe that camera does 120 and 240 fps. I had to be a little careful because we were also using that as an in-game camera that I wouldn't linger on it too long in case he started recording something to memory while I was still on that camera.

Kris

jbateman107
11-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the update guys. Appreciate your thoughts.

PIZAZZ
11-03-2015, 02:39 PM
We've used one of the Sony FS700 cameras as a super slow motion camera for instant replay recently. It actually works really nicely. The camera itself lets you hit a button on it to record the slow motion to memory and while it does that it also outputs it down the SDI path. The signal itself is still a standard 1080i signal, so it goes right into the TriCaster and 3Play systems to be recorded. What we found was that we could just go directly to the camera though while it was recording the buffered high-speed to disk. So my camera op on that camera would let me know he had something with a "replay" over the intercom. If we had time, I'd just wipe straight to his camera and it usually timed just right to get the action we were looking for. It also was recorded into the 3Play in case we wanted it later. I believe that camera does 120 and 240 fps. I had to be a little careful because we were also using that as an in-game camera that I wouldn't linger on it too long in case he started recording something to memory while I was still on that camera.

Kris

sounds really interesting Kris. Way to work on the edge.