PDA

View Full Version : Split edge script?

Chris S. (Fez)
10-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Recovering from a catastrophic system crash. All Lightwave resources were backed up and recovered as far as I can tell except for one script that split objects along selected edges. Essentially the same result as selecting polygons, cutting and pasting back in.

Does anyone know the name of this script or is there a native tool in 2015 I am missing? Google failed me so far.

squarewulf
10-27-2015, 03:59 PM
You mean like unweld? just select your polygons and hit cntrl+U.

prometheus
10-27-2015, 04:03 PM
donīt get it...if it is native..why not just install lightwave again..if itīs not..where did you get that script from, search the database plugin.

unwelding donīt seem to fit in with a split edge..though the following description of cut and past does? strange.

squarewulf
10-27-2015, 04:06 PM
donīt get it...if it is native..why not just install lightwave again..if itīs not..where did you get that script from, search the database plugin.

unwelding donīt seem to fit in with a split edge..though the following description of cut and past does? strange.

Yeah, split edges to me would be 'L', or possible even cntrl+B. oh well.

spherical
10-27-2015, 05:45 PM

I'm going with incorrect terminology. We think of "edge splitting" as dividing them along their length midway between ends, as opposed to making two complete edges where one had been. IOW, "splitting across the edge "thickness", of which there is none. If this is correct, Unweld would do it.

Chris S. (Fez)
10-27-2015, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and feedback. Perhaps it was this retired "Split Edge" plugin: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?40427-Split-Edges-plugin

Presently evaluating 2015 in anticipation of 2016 and LWcad 5 and was digging into my archive of old scripts trying to match Modo tools/workflow.

I have been unable to find a current native or 3rd party tool that offers this functionality. While I am aware of the workarounds, I personally find splitting meshes along edge loops and such a bit faster than cutting/pasting polygon islands or converting edge selections to points. In any case, no big deal. If anyone discovers a current tool I have missed, please let me know.

Chris S. (Fez)
10-27-2015, 08:10 PM
With a Modeler macro recorder like in Modo we could quickly make a button: 1) Convert edge selection to points 2) Unweld 3) Convert back to edges so the model is ready for the next selection

Cool thing is Layout already has a recorder...so LW modeling macros might be possible sooner rather than later.

jeric_synergy
10-28-2015, 01:31 AM
Don't hold your breath: Layout's had a recorder, and Modeler NOT, for ages.

OTOH, if you want MACROS (not recording) you can use AHK today.

The 3rd type of "Edge Splitting" is Chamfer, no?

Chris S. (Fez)
10-28-2015, 09:37 AM
Don't hold your breath: Layout's had a recorder, and Modeler NOT, for ages.

I was thinking that if Layout is ultimately going to become Modeler, recording modeling operations will hopefully be possible in the relatively near future...2017 - 2018?

I'll take a look at AHK. Thanks for the link, Jeric.

"Split Edges" seems serviceable terminology to me. The defunct plugin is called "Split Edge", Modo's tool is called Split and the Max tool is called Split. Not sure about Maya.

However "unweld" is just as descriptive and keeps the Lightwave nomenclature. Just needs to work with edges.

jeric_synergy
10-28-2015, 09:49 AM
As a term, as we've seen, "split edges" is too open to interpretation (dang, I know there's one word that means that....).

YMMV, but I think "disconnect edges" conveys the concept less ambiguously (there it is!).

JoePoe
10-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Unweld will not work for this. When you unweld you get FOUR points at an intersection. For this operation you need TWO.
You would have to Unweld, then select (by hand) a now unconnected loop of polys on top of the split line hit merge and do the same for underneath the split. (You could, i guess, make parts out of the poly loops beforehand..... but still, what a pain.) Unweld is not the way to go.

There is, however, Split by Seams (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/split-by-seams/).
Splits geometry along UV borders...Pretty painless now that we have ABF.

Select edge loop, use ABF to make a "junk" UV. Run script.

Chris S. (Fez)
10-28-2015, 10:39 AM
I think "disconnect edges" conveys the concept less ambiguously (there it is!).

Sounds good to me...as long as it is a single command that works on polygons, edges, points. So "Disconnect".

Chris S. (Fez)
10-28-2015, 10:57 AM
Unweld will not work for this. When you unweld you get FOUR points at an intersection.

Oh wow. Thanks. Was testing with meshes and totally missed this. Select edges -> Convert to Points -> Unweld points will break the mesh into islands so you can "select connected" and merge.

Accounting for the clickiness of all these workarounds, I think the fastest way for me might be to just select polygon islands and cut-paste.

JoePoe
10-28-2015, 11:41 AM
...so you can "select connected" and merge.

True! Good point!! Easier, but still two extra steps. More if there are multiple splits to do.

I think the fastest way for me might be to just select polygon islands and cut-paste.

For something where a quick lasso select will do....Absolutely.
But on a twisting curving complex piece where selecting all the polys is a pain, there does need to be a go-to solution.
Give Split by Seam a shot. It's really just one extra click. (well two.... I recommend deleting the "Unwrap" UV after).
And you can do multiple splits at the same time with the same number of steps.

Chris S. (Fez)
10-28-2015, 01:01 PM
And you can do multiple splits at the same time with the same number of steps.

Ah. Cool. Thanks again.

jeric_synergy
10-28-2015, 07:00 PM
Fez, is this operation reliant on always having a continuous path of Edges around an area?

+++++
This might be a good time to repeat the "How to make unMergable Points" tip:

To prevent Points from Merging (as this situation puts them at dire risk of), make an Endomorph that separates the points from their possible Merge-ees. Points are only Merged if they are mergable in all the Endomorphs and the Base. You only need one of these Endomorphs, just name it "NO MERGE".

Chris S. (Fez)
10-30-2015, 12:15 PM
Fez, is this operation reliant on always having a continuous path of Edges around an area?

Hey Jeric. It is just a universal operation I frequently use for modeling, mapping and organizing meshes for mapping. A native tool would be best so that I do not have to anticipate when or why I "disconnect" edges. I do think you nailed the terminology there...

jeric_synergy
10-30-2015, 01:25 PM
Hey Jeric. It is just a universal operation I frequently use for modeling, mapping and organizing meshes for mapping. A native tool would be best so that I do not have to anticipate when or why I "disconnect" edges. I do think you nailed the terminology there...
I personally find selecting Edges per se a bit fiddly -- must be all the caffeine.

I just checked and a Poly Select followed by "Select Outline" then "Sel Edges" works pretty well. ---Forgive me if that's too LW101. :D There will be ambiguous cases, but probably not many for a mapping task. AND, those two steps would be easy to Lscript.

+++
OH, and while you can't save an Edge selection, you can save a Part. So now it's repeatable.

Sensei
11-01-2015, 05:03 PM
I have two tools called Disconnect Parts and Disconnect Surfaces.
That works sort of like you described.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIxrj0ZhKK8
Often we want to have different part/surface name for separated region, especially in non-organics modeling.